Nottingham59
Established Member
Unlikely, even in a future world where all EMUs had at least minimal traction battery back up. The capital has already been spent, and any "redundant" OHLE could still be useful for shifting battery recharge loads to times and to locations with spare grid capacity. I wouldn't expect the extra ongoing maintenance and unreliability costs of OHLE to be significant enough to warrant removing any existing electrification.Okay, I think this is pretty fair overall - but I do have a couple of further questions?
1. would you de-electrify routes?
Not in general (though Didcot Oxford is a special case in that much of the capital needed has already been spent). Certainly not for short routes like Windermere or Tweedbank. They are perfect for BEMU operation.2. would you electrify short sections like Didcot - Oxford which would enable better use of existing stock?
At Oxford, I would start with wiring the platforms (plus any reversing sidings used by terminating services), with relatively cheap contact bar or tram-wire OHLE and fed from an SFC with BESS battery boost. This is what I understand TPE is proposing for Saltburn and Scarborough. That would make Oxford a useful recharge point for BEMU services to Paddington, Marylebone and Bedford, without needing a massive connection to the National Grid.
Same for Tweedbank and Skegness and Grimsby/Cleethorpes etc. But that approach needs a proper National Batterification strategy that has been updated to take account of the major developments in battery technology that have occurred over the past ten years.
That would be great wouldn't it? The railway industry set itself a cost-reduction challenge some years ago and as far as I can see has completely failed to deliver.3. why not try and find a way of cutting OHLE costs - as you say the GWML kit in particular is completely over specced but other European countries manage it!
Last edited: