• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine woes and a moan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndyHudds

Member
Joined
17 Jun 2012
Messages
601
Absolute chaos at Leeds tonight, I suspect the last Transpennine service travelling west was the 16.15, nothing since. I'm currently stood on the 17.15, crush loaded, waiting for it to depart, no announcements for the delay. 16.47 cancelled, 16.45 cancelled then reinstated due in at 17.15 but it'll be behind this one occupying platform 16. Madness.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,890
Absolute chaos at Leeds tonight, I suspect the last Transpennine service travelling west was the 16.15, nothing since. I'm currently stood on the 17.15, crush loaded, waiting for it to depart, no announcements for the delay. 16.47 cancelled, 16.45 cancelled then reinstated due in at 17.15 but it'll be behind this one occupying platform 16. Madness.
An unfortunate issue with a unit (not one of TPE or Northern's) whacking a platform at Mossley has been quite disruptive this afternoon. Single line working was implemented and a line block required resulting in delays.
 

AndyHudds

Member
Joined
17 Jun 2012
Messages
601
An unfortunate issue with a unit (not one of TPE or Northern's) whacking a platform at Mossley has been quite disruptive this afternoon. Single line working was implemented and a line block required resulting in delays.
Yeah it did say something like that, what has exactly happened?
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,298
I forgot TPE use a Hitachi set to Edinburgh, does anyone have the diagram for it?
 

APT618S

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2018
Messages
510
An unfortunate issue with a unit (not one of TPE or Northern's) whacking a platform at Mossley has been quite disruptive this afternoon. Single line working was implemented and a line block required resulting in delays.
I assume it was Scotrail's 170427 working ECS Crewe to HA:
Just passed this unit sitting in P3 at Stalybridge.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,890
I assume it was Scotrail's 170427 working ECS Crewe to HA:
Just passed this unit sitting in P3 at Stalybridge.
Yes, it was reported it struck something, then on further investigation it was found it had hit the platform passing through causing fairly major damage needing rectification before the unit was safe to move. It wasn't helped by the fact it was being moved by a freight company and there were no fitters who were trained on 170s anywhere near (which meant Porterbrook engineers having to assess and provide help via photos/video call/phone).
 

Geeves

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2009
Messages
2,640
Location
Rochdale
It was one of the cowling covers that had come loose and then from the impact bent the housing of what looks like the alternator raft. Bungee chords to the rescue. A little piece of Scotland is currently looking like its spending the night in Stalybridge!
 

Line speed

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2014
Messages
12
Absolute chaos at Leeds tonight, I suspect the last Transpennine service travelling west was the 16.15, nothing since. I'm currently stood on the 17.15, crush loaded, waiting for it to depart, no announcements for the delay. 16.47 cancelled, 16.45 cancelled then reinstated due in at 17.15 but it'll be behind this one occupying platform 16. Madness.
I was the guard on this one, it was due to my previous work being extremely late impacted by waiting for a pilot-man. I do believe i made announcements when i arrived at about 1735 though unless you was sandwiched in the rear carriage with me i’ve no way of knowing how audible my announcement was. Unfortunately it was a matter of it either waits for me and runs with a delay, or its binned.
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
My service from edinburgh was binned at Newcastle without any warning. First my driver and I knew about it was when signaller offered us platform 1 vice 6. The duty control manager admitted they had forgotten to deal with my service having been so tied up with the problems at Mossley. think the nature of the disruption was rather unusual and probably had a bigger impact on control than would normally be the case
 

AndyHudds

Member
Joined
17 Jun 2012
Messages
601
I was the guard on this one, it was due to my previous work being extremely late impacted by waiting for a pilot-man. I do believe i made announcements when i arrived at about 1735 though unless you was sandwiched in the rear carriage with me i’ve no way of knowing how audible my announcement was. Unfortunately it was a matter of it either waits for me and runs with a delay, or its binned.
I probably wrote this before you announced as you did announce you had come in another service.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,982
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Is it safe to assume that a cancellation in TPE Journey Check won't be reinstated? Just discovered that the 09:52 Liverpool Lime Street to Newcastle (I'm going as far as York then onwards to Scarborough) tomorrow is cancelled, in which case I would rather not have to hang around in Lime Street waiting an hour for the next one. However if they reinstate it and I'm not there then I guess that would invalidate my Advance ticket.

Also, never quite sure about this, but for delay repay do I claim from the ticket retailer as it's a cancelled service, or from the operator as I will still travel but will arrive an hour late?
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,384
Is it safe to assume that a cancellation in TPE Journey Check won't be reinstated? Just discovered that the 09:52 Liverpool Lime Street to Newcastle (I'm going as far as York then onwards to Scarborough) tomorrow is cancelled, in which case I would rather not have to hang around in Lime Street waiting an hour for the next one. However if they reinstate it and I'm not there then I guess that would invalidate my Advance ticket.

Also, never quite sure about this, but for delay repay do I claim from the ticket retailer as it's a cancelled service, or from the operator as I will still travel but will arrive an hour late?
Delay repay is from the train operator that causes the delay to your journey.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,384
So a cancelled service and advice to travel on the next one is a delay not a cancellation then?
Yes it’s a delay, as you have still travelled but arrived later (if chosen to take later service).

Cancellation where you obtain refund is if you choose to abandon journey and choose not to travel.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,837
Location
West of Andover
Delay repay is from the train operator that causes the delay to your journey.
But remember TPE will say it was a planned cancellation and published before 10pm in the "timetable of the day" so nothing will be due under delay repay :(
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,982
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
But remember TPE will say it was a planned cancellation and published before 10pm in the "timetable of the day" so nothing will be due under delay repay :(

What??? So I won't be able to get anything back despite it messing my whole day up? That can't be legal surely, under the terms of delay repay compensation.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,384
What??? So I won't be able to get anything back despite it messing my whole day up? That can't be legal surely, under the terms of delay repay compensation.
You will. They can try get out of it, but at the end of the day you are delayed based on the ticket that has been sold to you.
 

class397tpe

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2022
Messages
172
Location
Cambridge
What??? So I won't be able to get anything back despite it messing my whole day up? That can't be legal surely, under the terms of delay repay compensation.
I've claimed delay repay from transpennine when my train was removed from the timetable the day before - you have to manually input the time the train was going to be at, as it won't show up in their form, but both times I got delay repay no issue.
 

XAM2175

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
3,471
Location
Glasgow
Also, never quite sure about this, but for delay repay do I claim from the ticket retailer as it's a cancelled service, or from the operator as I will still travel but will arrive an hour late?
You would only go back to the retailer if disruption caused you to abandon your journey, and if that's the case you'd seek a refund of the ticket, not Delay Repay.

What??? So I won't be able to get anything back despite it messing my whole day up? That can't be legal surely, under the terms of delay repay compensation.
The National Rail Conditions of Travel were amended at the start of February to remove Delay Repay eligibility if the cancellation was notified before 2200 on the day before travel, at which time the state of the service becomes the "Published Timetable of the Day"

The legality of this change is disputed, but it's the way things are for the time being.

You do still have the protections of the Passengers' Rights and Obligations regulations, as these cannot be excluded by the NRCoT, meaning that if the delay is expected to be one hour or greater you are entitled to have TPE re-route you (but, importantly, you cannot just do so yourself), and if the actual delay turns out to be one hour or greater you are still entitled to the lower levels of compensation provided for in Article 17.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,982
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Change of plan, got the 08:56 instead. If connection goes okay at York I will be in Scarborough just after midday:smile:.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Thanks for all the detailed clarification above.
 

swaldman

Member
Joined
19 Jan 2013
Messages
461
The National Rail Conditions of Travel were amended at the start of February to remove Delay Repay eligibility if the cancellation was notified before 2200 on the day before travel, at which time the state of the service becomes the "Published Timetable of the Day"

The legality of this change is disputed, but it's the way things are for the time being.
o_O
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,982
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I suppose to a certain extent the TOCs do have a degree of say in it. i can remember when you got nothing for 15 minutes. Not sure on who’s authority that was introduced.
 

Getbacktowork

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2022
Messages
20
Location
Newcastle
A little late to the party here as a new member, but the overall level of service provision by TPE, even putting aside strike action, is nothing short of disgusting.

The overall cancellation statistics speak for themselves. However from a personal perspective, the 08.36 ex Newcastle on a Sunday morning has not ran since (at least) February. No good to those relying on it on a weekly basis and indeed a group has been created to taxi share for those needing to arrive in Northallerton before the 10.08 LNER service.

This journey is currently showing as running on 16th October when Newcastle play Manchester United away at 2pm. As happens every other week, the train will be cancelled at a few days notice, leaving hundreds to make alternative last minute travel arrangements.

Perhaps more appropriate to just cancel the service permanently? At least then 'casual' train users will not be mislead on a regular basis.
 
Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,493
Location
Sheffield
Unusual to be able to say something slightly good about TPE but they seem to have run two return 6 car trains between Sheffield and Cleethorpes today. With all the don't travel publicity I don't suppose they carried many passengers.
 

AndyHudds

Member
Joined
17 Jun 2012
Messages
601
Unusual to be able to say something slightly good about TPE but they seem to have run two return 6 car trains between Sheffield and Cleethorpes today. With all the don't travel publicity I don't suppose they carried many passengers.
The 16.25 from Leeds was 6 carriages but extremely busy.
 

LittleAH

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2018
Messages
1,214
The 08.36 TPE 'service' ex Newcastle has been cancelled every Sunday since (at least) February. Surely this should be either rectified or permanently withdrawn to avoid many future customers making plans to travel, only to be left making alternative arrangements at very short notice.
Sunday services are running to an amended timetable which isn't confirmed until midweek due to the IR issues.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
I see that due to “planned” cancellations (It’s clear that by using this method, they don’t care about their customers in the slightest) there are no trains between Lockerbie and Glasgow (my normal commute to Uni) between 07:10 and 13:35 (southbound slightly better at only a 4 hour gap between 10:00 and 14:00)

I’m lucky I have the ScotRail from Dumfries as an alternative, but I truly do pity those who do not. TransPennine are shocking at present. If running a very unreliable service wasn’t enough, they’ve also chosen to not allow customers to even be compensated for the disruption caused by using this new 10PM rule. A decent company who cared about their customers and reputation would simply permanently adjust the timetable to a reliable one and/or rightly compensate customers for their delays.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
At least they’ve bothered with replacement buses for the cancelled trains at Chester-le-Street today, normally they don’t.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top