thejuggler
Established Member
- Joined
- 8 Jan 2016
- Messages
- 1,654
N reg Rover 418SD turbo estate. M1 north near Sheffield. I cn't remember seeing one when they were new, so quite a rare thing.
I has a P plate 1996-1997 from 2000 until 2005. The engine was the 'bomb-proof' Peugeot. The main input shaft seal went in the gear box so strip to replace plus a new clutch which was ~£500.N reg Rover 418SD turbo estate. M1 north near Sheffield. I can't remember seeing one when they were new, so quite a rare thing.

Some of the Mercedes models from the 60s and 70s were big cars but it is hard to compare with todays models.Cars do seem to get a little bigger with each generation, even before everything started turning into a crossover. As the Polo grew it meant VW had to introduce the Fox (and later Up!) to fill the "A" segment the Polo had outgrown. I can't think of any counter-examples where the next generation was smaller than the previous, but there probably is one somewhere in the history of automobiles.
I meant X not M.This seems to be the case with older models.
For example, if you compare the original BMW M5 with the present M5 model it looks much smaller. More like a current M3.
Interesting - it's illegal to apply plates which make a car look younger than it is, so how have they got away with putting a P plate on an L car, I wonder?We have a 'P' registered BMW 740i parked outside our house; it's really an 'L' reg (whatever year that was) but the P reg is a personalised plate. It's the Missus' little runabout, not that she runs around in it much these days as it's not ULEZ compliant. I've christened it 'Hilda'. Seems appropriate, somehow.
The fresh pool of what I assume is oil is a worry!There’s a chap in the Hope Valley who drives a 1950s Austin 40. To be quite clear, it’s an ‘old banger’, not a restored classic.
View attachment 187114
Interesting - it's illegal to apply plates which make a car look younger than it is, so how have they got away with putting a P plate on an L car, I wonder?
My grandfather had an old A40 and that dripped oil from new. He always had a tray in garage!The fresh pool of what I assume is oil is a worry!
When I knew Bermo 25 years ago, the only cars I'd expect to find at the watering holes, were stolen ones...1968 Porsche 912 hiding in the back of a Bermondsey bar last night!
On our way eastwards on M27 yesterday, my wife and I saw a very well maintained A reg (1983-1984) red Alfasud - and it's years since I saw one roadworthy.
Ooooh you teaseWas it red, or just very rusty?![]()
Again in Dorchester a H reg Peugeot 205 GR, looked to be in pretty good condition too.
Far better than the Rover 100 I am more familiar withVery nice Rover 100 P4, two tone grey and black. 1961 according to the MOT checker (although it doesn't have one!)