• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Older cars you have seen

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,386
Location
Wennington Crossovers
Interested to hear of any older cars you've seen on manoeuvres (I would narrow it down to pre 2000 but this rule can be ignored). Pictures also welcome.

Today I saw two on the M11:

Nissan Micra P reg - forgot how much smaller it was than the later versions

Rover 820i F reg - which looked very well kept.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
Well... I've got a 4½ litre 1930 Bentley for haulage... that's me in the flappy hat in the back... :)

Driven by the late Julian Grimwade on 4th April 2013. The other two passengers are my then manager at work, this being her retirement day treat and another person from work navigating us past every office the retiring manager had worked in.

1756071379834.png
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,367
Location
Yorkshire
I'm always pleased to see a car with a pre-2001 reg plate. The other week I saw a G-reg (89/90) Volvo 940 in the White Rose Centre car park.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,682
Location
Solihull
Someone near me has a Rover 420 as i see it regularly, also a Maestro i see quite a bit.

I do live on a main road though so have a lot of passing traffic, plus i like looking out of the window when i'm bored.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
I stopped and had a chat with a young lad who was driving a lovely H reg white VW Scirocco in the garage the other day. It had clearly had a full restoration done on it, and although it had a couple of minor modifications it was very subtle.

I’ve also got a customer who has a white VW Golf mk2 GTi, which is exactly the same as one I owned many years ago.
 

m0ffy

Member
Joined
24 May 2022
Messages
373
Location
Leicestershire
My mother in law’s daily driver is an H reg Porsche 944. Why yes, she does keep an auto electrician in business.
 

m79900

Member
Joined
28 May 2023
Messages
711
Location
North Derbyshire
In the last few weeks:

J reg Peugeot 309
G reg Vauxhall Nova saloon
C reg Austin Maestro. (excited to see that one!)
 
Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,682
Location
Solihull
Ah yes just remembered there is an F ref Metro around the corner from my Mum's house, looks in very good nick.
 

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,386
Location
Wennington Crossovers
Well... I've got a 4½ litre 1930 Bentley for haulage... that's me in the flappy hat in the back... :)

Driven by the late Julian Grimwade on 4th April 2013. The other two passengers are my then manager at work, this being her retirement day treat and another person from work navigating us past every office the retiring manager had worked in.

View attachment 186991
Very good, thanks for sharing this!
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,367
Location
Yorkshire
In the last few weeks:

F reg Peugeot 309
G reg Vauxhall Nova saloon
C reg Austin Maestro. (excited to see that one!)
I was behind a Nova saloon near the rugby ground in Dewsbury a few months back. I even took a still photo of it on the dash cam, I'll have to dig it out.
 

thejuggler

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2016
Messages
1,652
We have a few locally. A Volvo 240, a Cavalier from late 80s and a very rare Mazda 929 Estate.

A neighbour has a Micra K11 which her husband bought new in about 2000. He sadly passed away, the car is still used by his wife, but very rarely. Up until a few years ago it was immaculate, but the last time I saw it one side had a nasty gatepost type scar. More than enough to write it off, but given its limited use it will probably see his wife out.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,728
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Hello @telstarbox
I will start with a few local cars, the rarer ones on the road.
I can also post some wonderfully restored cars - 1960s to 1980s era - currently used on the roads local to me.
 

Attachments

  • GilbernInvader.jpg
    GilbernInvader.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 74
  • BertoneX19Finale_.jpg
    BertoneX19Finale_.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 66
  • BMWE21cabrio_.jpg
    BMWE21cabrio_.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 65
  • LotusCarlton.jpg
    LotusCarlton.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 62
  • AstraM3GTE.jpg
    AstraM3GTE.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 60
  • RRSilverSpurCent.jpg
    RRSilverSpurCent.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 58
  • Porsche944S2.jpg
    Porsche944S2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 61
  • VauxhallVelox.jpg
    VauxhallVelox.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 58
  • TriumphHerald.jpg
    TriumphHerald.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,490
Location
Powys
Too many to list, but then I am a member of a couple of classic car clubs.
Oldest I suspect is this Briton, owned by a friend of mine, which I have been a passenger in:
4ZKBHLXRDTtIYU7b1EJz91HJoj8N9QsZe5XWoekpqLojhyDbNgYAb5sA09A3j2oYQKstfKJxSXnRQLFsD2lw8GwBrOkRgJlR59vlyK0qYhKM0asZeyVaEw


Oldest I have actually driven is a pre-war Austin 7 Ruby.

Previously I owned a (now) 53 year old MG Midget, and now drive a 1998 MGF.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,728
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Fantastic stuff, that post needs a "spoiler" tag as it's NSFW! :wub:
Glad you like it. :)

Quite a selection on the south coast, such as: 1960s Alfa GTV Spyder / MGB Roadster (including two 1963 powder blue Mk1 examples) / Triumph Spitfire Mk2 / Triumph GT6 Mk2 / Porsche 911S (pre-1973 2.4 ltr air cooled engine).
 

Attachments

  • AlfaGTV.jpg
    AlfaGTV.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
  • TriumphSpitfire.jpg
    TriumphSpitfire.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
  • TriumphGT6.jpg
    TriumphGT6.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 25
  • MGBMk1Roadster.jpg
    MGBMk1Roadster.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 27
  • Porsche911.jpg
    Porsche911.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 27
  • JaguarXJScabrio.jpg
    JaguarXJScabrio.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • CapriMk3Injection.jpg
    CapriMk3Injection.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 30
  • CortinaMk3GXL.jpg
    CortinaMk3GXL.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • ChevvyPickup.jpg
    ChevvyPickup.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
Currently got 3 outside my house:

A 1998 Rover 75 on a private plate that belongs to a friend and needs quite a lot of work to get back on the road.

An S reg VW Caddy pickup that's only slightly very rusty but still roadworthy, though very rarely driven. Currently it's main use is as a shed because it has a truckman top.

A W reg VW Lupo SDI that's my daily driver. 190k and still going strong. :D
 

Lloyds siding

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2020
Messages
626
Location
Merseyside
My 2001 Astra was scrapped last year, only because I couldn't afford to reapir it for the MOT. It had only done 80,000 miles. Current car is 2003. Friend of mine has a Lotus garage and runs a couple of cars from the 1990s.
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,689
Location
Seaford
Someone in my neck of the woods has a Hillman Avenger which is out and about regularly.

Friends of my elderly neighbour have a modern car, but it needed a garage visit, so they turned-up to drive her to a hospital outpatient appointment (25 miles away!) in their Vauxhall HA Viva. None of them are younger than 80, so this seemed quite brave to me.
 

m79900

Member
Joined
28 May 2023
Messages
711
Location
North Derbyshire
Someone in my neck of the woods has a Hillman Avenger which is out and about regularly.

Friends of my elderly neighbour have a modern car, but it needed a garage visit, so they turned-up to drive her to a hospital outpatient appointment (25 miles away!) in their Vauxhall HA Viva. None of them are younger than 80, so this seemed quite brave to me.
That reminded me that near where I live there's a late Avenger (Chrysler or Talbot, not sure) that's always parked outside a house. Not sure if its on the road or not.
 

Shimbleshanks

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2012
Messages
1,283
Location
Purley
We have a 'P' registered BMW 740i parked outside our house; it's really an 'L' reg (whatever year that was) but the P reg is a personalised plate. It's the Missus' little runabout, not that she runs around in it much these days as it's not ULEZ compliant. I've christened it 'Hilda'. Seems appropriate, somehow.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,167
Location
Elginshire
I passed an immaculate G-reg Peugeot 205 GTi the other day. They used to be a common sight when I was younger but it was a pleasant surprise to see one.

There are a couple of classics that I see fairly regularly. There's a Morris Minor in the village and the last few times I've been in town I've seen what I think is an Austin A40 (looking at Wikipedia, it looks like the Somerset variant but I could be completely wrong).

As for more recent cars, my next-door neighbour has a Y-plate Renault Kangoo that has seen better days and there's an 02-plate VW Polo parked opposite. There's also a similarly-aged Nissan Note around the corner.

The Rover 75 still seems to be quite popular - there are quite a few in the area, mostly estates.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,367
Location
Yorkshire
We have a 'P' registered BMW 740i parked outside our house; it's really an 'L' reg (whatever year that was) but the P reg is a personalised plate. It's the Missus' little runabout, not that she runs around in it much these days as it's not ULEZ compliant. I've christened it 'Hilda'. Seems appropriate, somehow.
Hope the private plate is a P suffix, otherwise it's illegal as you can't have a plate that's younger than the car. L at the front is 1/8/1993 to 31/7/1994, P at the front is 1/8/1996 to 31/7/1997.
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,702
Location
Hope Valley
There’s a chap in the Hope Valley who drives a 1950s Austin 40. To be quite clear, it’s an ‘old banger’, not a restored classic.
1756203319280.jpeg
 
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,728
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Well... I've got a 4½ litre 1930 Bentley for haulage... that's me in the flappy hat in the back... :)

Driven by the late Julian Grimwade on 4th April 2013. The other two passengers are my then manager at work, this being her retirement day treat and another person from work navigating us past every office the retiring manager had worked in.

View attachment 186991
Fabulous photo @Peter Mugridge and, I imagine, memorable trip. The untimely loss of Julian, back in May, was tragic.
Did you, or any you know, attend the celebration of his life, at Brooklands Museum on 12th August?
 

dcbwhaley

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2018
Messages
838
Our local blacksmith has a Model T pickup and a Triumph TR4, both immaculately restored
And his neighbour has n M plate VW Golf in daily use
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,674
Location
The West Country
There is a Triumph Herald near us which is in daily use. Also an old BMC van is often seen around the city used by a property maintenance contractor.
Here’s a picture of it
IMG_2121.jpeg
Photo shadyc82
 

Top