• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Older cars you have seen

thejuggler

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2016
Messages
1,654
N reg Rover 418SD turbo estate. M1 north near Sheffield. I cn't remember seeing one when they were new, so quite a rare thing.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,070
A few on Thursday evening at Weymouth Bike Night, including a cute little Honda flat bed lorry, Austin Mini, and a Fraser Nash BMW of some sort.
20250925_180442.jpg20250925_180650.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20250925_175851.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20250925_180500.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 6

david1212

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2020
Messages
1,756
Location
Midlands
Today G plate 1968-1969 Mercedes 4 door saloon and H plate 1969-1970 Volvo saloon - 144?

N reg Rover 418SD turbo estate. M1 north near Sheffield. I can't remember seeing one when they were new, so quite a rare thing.
I has a P plate 1996-1997 from 2000 until 2005. The engine was the 'bomb-proof' Peugeot. The main input shaft seal went in the gear box so strip to replace plus a new clutch which was ~£500.
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,689
Location
Seaford
M-prefix (94-95) Toyota Carina spotted doing a supermarket run in Eastbourne. Looked good enough for the minicab circuit still.
 

greyman42

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2017
Messages
5,368
Cars do seem to get a little bigger with each generation, even before everything started turning into a crossover. As the Polo grew it meant VW had to introduce the Fox (and later Up!) to fill the "A" segment the Polo had outgrown. I can't think of any counter-examples where the next generation was smaller than the previous, but there probably is one somewhere in the history of automobiles.
Some of the Mercedes models from the 60s and 70s were big cars but it is hard to compare with todays models.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

This seems to be the case with older models.
For example, if you compare the original BMW M5 with the present M5 model it looks much smaller. More like a current M3.
I meant X not M.
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
We have a 'P' registered BMW 740i parked outside our house; it's really an 'L' reg (whatever year that was) but the P reg is a personalised plate. It's the Missus' little runabout, not that she runs around in it much these days as it's not ULEZ compliant. I've christened it 'Hilda'. Seems appropriate, somehow.
Interesting - it's illegal to apply plates which make a car look younger than it is, so how have they got away with putting a P plate on an L car, I wonder?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

There’s a chap in the Hope Valley who drives a 1950s Austin 40. To be quite clear, it’s an ‘old banger’, not a restored classic.
View attachment 187114
The fresh pool of what I assume is oil is a worry!
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Interesting - it's illegal to apply plates which make a car look younger than it is, so how have they got away with putting a P plate on an L car, I wonder?

Presumably suffix P (1975/6) on a prefix L (1993/4)

Meanwhile I saw a 1989 BMW 325i convertible today, hood down, absolutely spotless.
 

stuu

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2011
Messages
3,774
Saw a Reliant of some sort this morning, haven't seen one in years. Extra points as he had a 5ft long model of the Bismarck in the back
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,712
Location
Hope Valley
Not strictly a car but I’ve just had a A-prefix Leyland Freight Rover (faded) red van chug past, looking every one of its 42-ish years old.
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,083
Reliant Robin in the Netherlands on Sunday, left hand drive too: couldn't grab a photo though.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Two today:

Firstly an Alfa Romeo Giulia, around 1964ish (I didn’t see the plate). In red, and no it wasn’t rust. Beautiful machine.

Then a 1973 Merc 450SL. And it was being driven enthusiastically, I struggled to keep up with him on two roundabouts and a stretch of the A414.
 

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,387
Location
Wennington Crossovers
Late 90s Renault Megane (the version before the backside one) in a nice deep green yesterday. Was that the time when metallic paint became popular?
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,070
Again in Dorchester a H reg Peugeot 205 GR, looked to be in pretty good condition too.
 

Cambus731

Established Member
Joined
19 Jul 2013
Messages
1,410
Location
Chelmsford
Saw a beautiful red Cortina mk5 four door saloon heading south on Main Road Broomfield, Essex last week. Unfortunately I was on a bus so wasn’t able to photograph it.
 

CarltonA

Member
Joined
22 Apr 2012
Messages
878
Location
Thames Valley
I saw a G Reg Volvo 740 estate in Henley on Thames yesterday. It was covered in mould and bird droppings and was a right old mess inside. But still roadworthy somehow and parked outside Wetherspoon.
 

Top