• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Turning a DVT into a locomotive - can it be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,733
Location
Scotland
Could it be converted to a steam locomotive?
Again, since the question was 'could it' with no bounds, the answer has to be 'Yes'.

(And according to quantum theory there exists a universe where it already has been done).
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trac

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2015
Messages
54
Again, since the question was 'could it' with no bounds, the answer has to be 'Yes'.

(And according to quantum theory there exists a universe where it already has been done).

A steam punk universe :)
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,577
Location
Macclesfield
82xxx did exist many moons ago, which could maybe cause issues. I think maybe 93 is the next one that hasn't yet existed?
There hasn't been a mainline registered class 82 for many more years than the minimum required before a new class can be registered under that number: So the higher ranges of class 82 could be used if ever needed, though in this (unlikely) scenario, as a diesel loco the former DVT would presumably be renumbered in a diesel loco range appropriate to it's rated engine horsepower (not that TOPS allocations are often logical).
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,577
Location
Macclesfield
158s have 25+ years service history behind them. The 230 is a new project that needs credibility to succeed. Catching fire within days of starting mainline testing does nothing for that.
True, and if there are other underlying problems (I haven't seen the report) then fair enough, but the one incident often alluded to considered in isolation isn't enough to write the whole project off. I appreciate that this has been discussed ad nauseam on the appropriate thread, though.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
Again, since the question was 'could it' with no bounds, the answer has to be 'Yes'.

(And according to quantum theory there exists a universe where it already has been done).

Does that mean there is also a universe where every suggestion for 442s and 373s has been done? :lol:
 

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
Does that mean there is also a universe where every suggestion for 442s and 373s has been done? :lol:

Possibly, but not neccesarily.

A thought that crossed my mind is the Nk1s BxKs modified to include a generator unit to provide electricity for say steam hauled private owner stock. Some probably said 'no, too complex, not designed for that, cash flow...' and others just did it.

I believe DVTs are designed for buffing loads so probably have more structure than say a Mk3 or 4 coach, but is it in the right place and can it cope with say a power pack (or several)? Also, bogies would need to be modified/chqnged.
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
From a brochure produced by Porterbrook in 2012 regarding their mark 3 fleet. Sadly, the original link to the document seems to be inactive, and the PDF is too large to upload to the forum.

Fascinating! Was conversion of DVTs into seated accommodation ever a viable option? I thought it was always a no-no.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,577
Location
Macclesfield
Fascinating! Was conversion of DVTs into seated accommodation ever a viable option? I thought it was always a no-no.
Porterbrook seem to have thought so, although the brochure doesn't go into any more detail than in the image posted by KNotts. It's possible that replacing the existing DVTs with a new build DBSO or DTSO might have proved the more straightforward (if more costly) option.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
I think you could just about fit a GE 90 Jet Engine in a Mk 3 DVT. That would provide some impressive performance, probably kill anyone nearby sadly.
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
It's easy to turn a DVT into a locomotive (well at least part of one) it just requires a trip to Booths first :)
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,733
Location
Scotland
Fascinating! Was conversion of DVTs into seated accommodation ever a viable option? I thought it was always a no-no.
Apparently, the rules changed: when the Mk3/Mk4 DVTs were created the rules said no passengers in the leading vehicle of any train that was capable of >100(110?)mph. That has obviously changed.
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
Apparently, the rules changed: when the Mk3/Mk4 DVTs were created the rules said no passengers in the leading vehicle of any train that was capable of >100(110?)mph. That has obviously changed.

Yeah I vaguely recalled it being that. But did that change as a result of more crashworthy rolling stock? I would imagine the same rule would still apply to older designs?
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,733
Location
Scotland
Yeah I vaguely recalled it being that. But did that change as a result of more crashworthy rolling stock? I would imagine the same rule would still apply to older designs?
I think it was actually the Mk3/Mk4 designs that were the reason for the rules change. They were so much more sturdy than what had existed before.
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
I think it was actually the Mk3/Mk4 designs that were the reason for the rules change. They were so much more sturdy than what had existed before.

I wonder if that would include a DVT?
 

CosherB

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2007
Messages
3,041
Location
Northwich
As there appears to have been zero interest in converting the Mk3 DVTs into "DTSOs", the point seems to be moot.
 

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
I wouldn't want to be a driver driving a train from one, given how badly they fair in a crash. I saw a picture of one after what I think was the Hatfield crash iirc and it was a case of "so where is the DVT?" it was just the chassis left
 

t_star2001uk

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2011
Messages
724
I wouldn't want to be a driver driving a train from one, given how badly they fair in a crash. I saw a picture of one after what I think was the Hatfield crash iirc and it was a case of "so where is the DVT?" it was just the chassis left

DVT from Hatfield survived. The one at Great Heck was substantially damaged.
 
Last edited:

cf111

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,397
I wouldn't want to be a driver driving a train from one, given how badly they fair in a crash. I saw a picture of one after what I think was the Hatfield crash iirc and it was a case of "so where is the DVT?" it was just the chassis left

Are you maybe thinking of Great Heck/Selby? The DVT was at the rear of the train at Hatfield and was not badly damaged.

The closing speed at Great Heck/Selby was something like 145 miles an hour, I don't think any rolling stock would fare well at that speed.
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
I wouldn't want to be a driver driving a train from one, given how badly they fair in a crash. I saw a picture of one after what I think was the Hatfield crash iirc and it was a case of "so where is the DVT?" it was just the chassis left

Do you seriously think that this is a serious suggestion?
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
Does that mean there is also a universe where every suggestion for 442s and 373s has been done? :lol:

If anyone locates the universe where FGW runs pairs of 37s on all their long distance services, please give me a shout. :) :)
 

randyrippley

Established Member
Joined
21 Feb 2016
Messages
5,382
With all these train regeneration projects that have taken place such as the Evolution prototypes of EMU/DMUs, as well as Viva Rail and the Class 73s, would it theoretically be possible to turn a DVT into either an electric or diesel locomotive?



Not a proposal or a nostalgia fantasy thread for trainspotters

When the WCML MkIII DVTs were introduced there were some press reports which stated they had been specifically designed with that possibility in mind and that the floor was strengthened to take the weight of a diesel and generator etc. The intention seemed to be to give a way for the WCML sets to have a "last few miles under diesel" option. There were several claims that the DVTs were HST power cars minus the power.
I can't tell how true the claims were, but they were certainly made at the time
 

CosherB

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2007
Messages
3,041
Location
Northwich
I wouldn't want to be a driver driving a train from one, given how badly they fair in a crash. I saw a picture of one after what I think was the Hatfield crash iirc and it was a case of "so where is the DVT?" it was just the chassis left

So would you be happy in a Class 90?
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,897
Location
East Anglia
Against advice National Express had planned to convert the Anglia DVT fleet into kitchen cars back in 2004 after it admitted they would never get passed the safety case to carry passengers in this vehicle. First class was to then to be swapped to the Norwich end but this plan was also abandoned due to the fact that there had to be access for drivers/Senior Conductors to pass through this area & passing through a food preparation area would not be permitted. Any plan to provide alternative access made the cost prohibitive considering how much kitchen space would be lost in what was already going to be a tight fit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top