Again, since the question was 'could it' with no bounds, the answer has to be 'Yes'.Could it be converted to a steam locomotive?
(And according to quantum theory there exists a universe where it already has been done).
Last edited:
Again, since the question was 'could it' with no bounds, the answer has to be 'Yes'.Could it be converted to a steam locomotive?
Again, since the question was 'could it' with no bounds, the answer has to be 'Yes'.
(And according to quantum theory there exists a universe where it already has been done).

There hasn't been a mainline registered class 82 for many more years than the minimum required before a new class can be registered under that number: So the higher ranges of class 82 could be used if ever needed, though in this (unlikely) scenario, as a diesel loco the former DVT would presumably be renumbered in a diesel loco range appropriate to it's rated engine horsepower (not that TOPS allocations are often logical).82xxx did exist many moons ago, which could maybe cause issues. I think maybe 93 is the next one that hasn't yet existed?
True, and if there are other underlying problems (I haven't seen the report) then fair enough, but the one incident often alluded to considered in isolation isn't enough to write the whole project off. I appreciate that this has been discussed ad nauseam on the appropriate thread, though.158s have 25+ years service history behind them. The 230 is a new project that needs credibility to succeed. Catching fire within days of starting mainline testing does nothing for that.
Again, since the question was 'could it' with no bounds, the answer has to be 'Yes'.
(And according to quantum theory there exists a universe where it already has been done).
Does that mean there is also a universe where every suggestion for 442s and 373s has been done?![]()
Even the quantum universe isn't that infinite!Does that mean there is also a universe where every suggestion for 442s and 373s has been done?![]()
How about turning DVT into a seated DVT and running 1 power car, 4 mk3 and one of these.
From a brochure produced by Porterbrook in 2012 regarding their mark 3 fleet. Sadly, the original link to the document seems to be inactive, and the PDF is too large to upload to the forum.That's interesting. Where is that from?
From a brochure produced by Porterbrook in 2012 regarding their mark 3 fleet. Sadly, the original link to the document seems to be inactive, and the PDF is too large to upload to the forum.
Porterbrook seem to have thought so, although the brochure doesn't go into any more detail than in the image posted by KNotts. It's possible that replacing the existing DVTs with a new build DBSO or DTSO might have proved the more straightforward (if more costly) option.Fascinating! Was conversion of DVTs into seated accommodation ever a viable option? I thought it was always a no-no.
Apparently, the rules changed: when the Mk3/Mk4 DVTs were created the rules said no passengers in the leading vehicle of any train that was capable of >100(110?)mph. That has obviously changed.Fascinating! Was conversion of DVTs into seated accommodation ever a viable option? I thought it was always a no-no.
Apparently, the rules changed: when the Mk3/Mk4 DVTs were created the rules said no passengers in the leading vehicle of any train that was capable of >100(110?)mph. That has obviously changed.
I think it was actually the Mk3/Mk4 designs that were the reason for the rules change. They were so much more sturdy than what had existed before.Yeah I vaguely recalled it being that. But did that change as a result of more crashworthy rolling stock? I would imagine the same rule would still apply to older designs?
I think it was actually the Mk3/Mk4 designs that were the reason for the rules change. They were so much more sturdy than what had existed before.
I wouldn't want to be a driver driving a train from one, given how badly they fair in a crash. I saw a picture of one after what I think was the Hatfield crash iirc and it was a case of "so where is the DVT?" it was just the chassis left
A non-motorised locomotive? That would be interesting...![]()
I wouldn't want to be a driver driving a train from one, given how badly they fair in a crash. I saw a picture of one after what I think was the Hatfield crash iirc and it was a case of "so where is the DVT?" it was just the chassis left
Could it be converted to a steam locomotive?
No chance, never - unless Viva Rail decide to venture. Although it'd go up in smoke I'd imagine.
I wouldn't want to be a driver driving a train from one, given how badly they fair in a crash. I saw a picture of one after what I think was the Hatfield crash iirc and it was a case of "so where is the DVT?" it was just the chassis left
Does that mean there is also a universe where every suggestion for 442s and 373s has been done?![]()

With all these train regeneration projects that have taken place such as the Evolution prototypes of EMU/DMUs, as well as Viva Rail and the Class 73s, would it theoretically be possible to turn a DVT into either an electric or diesel locomotive?
Not a proposal or a nostalgia fantasy thread for trainspotters
I wouldn't want to be a driver driving a train from one, given how badly they fair in a crash. I saw a picture of one after what I think was the Hatfield crash iirc and it was a case of "so where is the DVT?" it was just the chassis left