KingDaveRa
Member
In my humble opinion:
Possible? Yes, of course. Anything is possible.
Feasible? I'd take a guess that probably not in the least bit! It'd cost a fortune, take years to implement, and probably result in a loco so under-powered as to be useless anyway. Probably find all that'd be left is the driver's windscreen and the door!
It amazes me what can be accomplished re-engineering and re-purposing things, but it's usually only done if the economics make sense. I imagine a new loco costs in the region of £1m each. Once you work out depreciation and TCO, and compare that to the cost of 'upgrading' a DVT, it'd probably work out about the same, especially when you add in all the R&D costs of creating tooling and parts for this new venture.
Still, I'd like to be proven wrong, because it's an interesting - if a bit barmy - concept. Let's face it, sometimes the most stupid idea can work out to be a good one.
Possible? Yes, of course. Anything is possible.
Feasible? I'd take a guess that probably not in the least bit! It'd cost a fortune, take years to implement, and probably result in a loco so under-powered as to be useless anyway. Probably find all that'd be left is the driver's windscreen and the door!
It amazes me what can be accomplished re-engineering and re-purposing things, but it's usually only done if the economics make sense. I imagine a new loco costs in the region of £1m each. Once you work out depreciation and TCO, and compare that to the cost of 'upgrading' a DVT, it'd probably work out about the same, especially when you add in all the R&D costs of creating tooling and parts for this new venture.
Still, I'd like to be proven wrong, because it's an interesting - if a bit barmy - concept. Let's face it, sometimes the most stupid idea can work out to be a good one.