• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Personal security on long distance trains vs aircraft

Which do you find safer (in terms of personal security)?

  • Trains

    Votes: 58 15.5%
  • Aircraft

    Votes: 134 35.8%
  • About the same

    Votes: 42 11.2%
  • Not a problem either way

    Votes: 140 37.4%

  • Total voters
    374
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Jul 2012
Messages
12,042
That is an interesting statistic and not what I would have expected. Could you provide the source please? I will do my own research too.
2019 air passenger numbers just shy of 300 million:

Number of UK rail passengers circa 1.7 billion:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aaron1

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2019
Messages
175
Location
GRIMSBY
I have never experienced any crime on trains, and I feel very safe on trains, I do travel by train occasionally to football games and I like a drink on the train etc so that probably "toughens me up" if you know what I mean.

I also think the BTP are very good and have always only heard good things about them.
 

TravelDream

Member
Joined
7 Aug 2016
Messages
1,163
Railways are likely to have a higher rate, with everything else being equal, due the fact that there's about 5.7 times the number of rail passengers as passengers which pass through British airports.

That is an interesting statistic and not what I would have expected. Could you provide the source please? I will do my own research too.

Hardly a fair comparison as the majority of rail journeys have passengers carrying little luggage in comparison to air travel.

Data for 2019 showed 1.75 billion rail journeys in the UK vs 297 million air ones.
2020 showed a huge fall, obviously, with 0.4 billion rail journeys vs 60 million air ones.
 

The Ham

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Jul 2012
Messages
12,042
Hardly a fair comparison as the majority of rail journeys have passengers carrying little luggage in comparison to air travel.

Data for 2019 showed 1.75 billion rail journeys in the UK vs 297 million air ones.
2020 showed a huge fall, obviously, with 0.4 billion rail journeys vs 60 million air ones.

The point I was making was that assuming equal risk rail is going to show up as having more cases of crime and so would likely be seen as higher risk even if it wasn't.

I would however highlight that whilst more stuff is taken on an aircraft a lot is often put in the hold so a random passenger is unable to access it (unlike a train).
 

riceuten

Member
Joined
23 May 2018
Messages
954
There is a much higher risk of this in Germany than the UK, where no stations are gated and vagrants hanging around on stations much more common.
Possibly, but it's not a fear generally shared with other countries who have open stations and gentlemen of the road as guests.
 

Surreyman

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2012
Messages
1,020
I have witnessed a few individuals on trains behaving in 'strange ways' - whether this was down to mental health issues/drug use or possibly being a drug courier I can't really say - my perception I guess? I have been told by a couple of SWR guards in the last few years that they have noticed more 'crazies' travelling on trains, usually solo and sometimes very aggressive.
There is also the much talked practice of 'County lines' - I am now an old codger, so not as 'streetwise' as I used to be but my instincts still notice odd behaviour, better to be aware than ignore.
Incidentally late night trains crowded with drunken people feel a lot safer than an empty carriage in the middle of the day with a single person behaving strangely.
I definitely feel safer on planes.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,763
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I don't entirely get the "county lines" thing. The term comes from the US where police lose their jurisdiction if they cross one so they can run away from them and get away, but that isn't true in the UK.
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
I don't entirely get the "county lines" thing. The term comes from the US where police lose their jurisdiction if they cross one so they can run away from them and get away, but that isn't true in the UK.
That has no reference to what's being talked about here though...

In the UK Crime gangs use normally vulnerable young people to move cash and drugs across the country. Normally from the big cities (London, Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham) out to the rural counties. (Devon, Cornwall, Kent, Essex etc) almost always using the railways or coach services. And they almost always follow the same ways all the time. Hence the term County Lines. Nothing to do with the US term.
 

Mally66

Member
Joined
9 Jun 2021
Messages
32
Location
Suffolk
Was having a discussion with some of my friends who don't travel by train often earlier. They said they prefer to make long distance trips by plane rather than rail (especially alone/if asleep) given that it feels safer in terms of personal security on a plane. Reasons cited included people being able to run off with your possessions at intermediate stops (I guess especially towards the end of an intercity service, on a flight everyone is going to the same destination usually), lower staff presence and the lack of security/ID checks with seats allocated based on that.

Had never considered this before - never had a problem with personal security on either and trains might seem slightly safer to me thinking about it now - and thought it was an interesting argument that does makes some sense. Any thoughts on this? And is there anything that should be done to make trains feel safer/more appealing to passengers who are less experienced (especially given the need for modal shift from air to rail to combat climate change) - would policies like security checks and compulsory reservation, that we might view as an inconvenience, help in this regard?
I think in this modern era most trains, if not all have live CCTV feeds to either driver or Train manager. CCTV acts as a visual deterrent to would be thieves, and the addition of a regular trolley catering service traversing through the train would also put venerable passengers minds at rest .
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
I think in this modern era most trains, if not all have live CCTV feeds to either driver or Train manager. CCTV acts as a visual deterrent to would be thieves, and the addition of a regular trolley catering service traversing through the train would also put venerable passengers minds at rest .
Very few have that system
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top