• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Older cars you have seen

madannie77

Member
Joined
12 May 2009
Messages
431
Location
The Station Garden of Eden
This turned up at the Eden Valley Railway today: a 1987 Wartburg 353, imported to the UK after the reunification of Germany and now carrying the appropriate registration C20 DDR!!
 

Attachments

  • 20260525_151432.jpg
    20260525_151432.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 20260525_151414.jpg
    20260525_151414.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 20260525_151354.jpg
    20260525_151354.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 24
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,688
Location
Solihull
Now thats great, i'm a sucker for Eastern European cars, my first car was a Lada, second was a Skoda lol

This morning saw a T reg Focus.
 

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,471
Location
Back in Sussex
Now thats great, i'm a sucker for Eastern European cars, my first car was a Lada, second was a Skoda lol

This morning saw a T reg Focus.

I had a Skoda Estelle for a mercifully short time in the early 80s, the previous owner had fitted locking wheelnuts as presumably the wheels and tyres were the most valuable parts of the car, I used to leave it in the town centre car park unlocked with the keys in the ignition and the damned thing was still there each evening after work
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,688
Location
Solihull
I had a Skoda Estelle for a mercifully short time in the early 80s, the previous owner had fitted locking wheelnuts as presumably the wheels and tyres were the most valuable parts of the car, I used to leave it in the town centre car park unlocked with the keys in the ignition and the damned thing was still there each evening after work
Well the adverts did used to mention their British Steel wheels.
 

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,387
Location
Wennington Crossovers

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,043

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Is that in Roupell St perhaps? I've often seen one or more Citroens parked there when heading to the King's Arms for a little refreshment before heading out of Waterloo.

It is, there used to be an old Citroen garage there.
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,842
Location
Clydebank
A DS 'Break' estate would be a heck of a score on it's own, but a Traction Avant and SM as well? Absolute belters.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

This turned up at the Eden Valley Railway today: a 1987 Wartburg 353, imported to the UK after the reunification of Germany and now carrying the appropriate registration C20 DDR!!
Like @birchesgreen, I'm a sucker for Eastern European cars. If a Lada Riva and a Lambo were to park up next to each other, I'd be all over the Riva while barely paying any mind to the Lambo

That is a corking find and is a clearly pampered/treasured machine considering it's immaculate condition. Wonder how Wartburgs are registered in the UK.
 
Last edited:

DiscoSteve

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2011
Messages
89
Location
Romiley
This turned up at the Eden Valley Railway today: a 1987 Wartburg 353, imported to the UK after the reunification of Germany and now carrying the appropriate registration C20 DDR!!
I drove one of them a short distance in the very early 80's - pedals came directly out of the floor ISTR...
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,688
Location
Solihull
Just saw a few minutes ago driving into the local Lidl carpark, the ultimate car:

slightly orangey brown Robin Reliant (R reg). The front has had some work done on it though as bits were in grey undercoat.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
I was driving so I couldn’t take a photo unfortunately.

A youngish lad behind me at the lights, in maroon Capri, with big 70s sunglasses and a tash.

Absolutely brilliant. :lol:
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,070
Again at Weymouth bike night,
A Karmann Ghia, Beetle based coupe
Ford Granada Ghia X A reg,
L reg Toyota MR2,
W suffix Lancia,
Toyota Sera,
D reg Rolls-Royce,
some vintage army Jeeps, (W suffix),
a load of Morgan three wheelers (although some to new for this thread),
and some more interesting stuff.
 

NSEWonderer

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2020
Messages
2,910
Location
London
A DS 'Break' estate would be a heck of a score on it's own, but a Traction Avant and SM as well? Absolute belters.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Im shocked that they sit outside on that road every day. What I'd pay to have a ride in the SM
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Im shocked that they sit outside on that road every day. What I'd pay to have a ride in the SM
I'm not sure they ever move. Always seem to be parked in exactly the same place whenever I walk down Roupell Street.
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,842
Location
Clydebank
Im shocked that they sit outside on that road every day. What I'd pay to have a ride in the SM
I'd sell a kidney to have a ride in a SM. /s

In all seriousness, it's one of my all-time dream cars alongside the DS, have lusted after it virtually my entire adult life.
 

KT550

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2020
Messages
935
Location
Surrey
Seen in Forest Row, East Sussex yesterday

1970 Morris Minor (---J)
1983 Mercedes 200
1983 Mercedes 500SL (A---)
1998 Jaguar XJ8 (S---)
 

thejuggler

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2016
Messages
1,654
Just saw a few minutes ago driving into the local Lidl carpark, the ultimate car:

slightly orangey brown Robin Reliant (R reg). The front has had some work done on it though as bits were in grey undercoat.
I saw a late 90s model in bright red last week.

Just seen a 2000 Suzuki Swift - tiny thing!
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Just seen a 2000 Suzuki Swift - tiny thing!
I used to have a 1996 Swift; much better looking than the monstrosity they build these days - and much better on fuel economy as well.

Yes... small... legally classified as a "supermini" if I recall my insurance documents correctly.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Today, I saw a 1979 (V) Austin Princess, in jet black, and good nick. However it was much bigger than I remember the Princess to be, funny how the memory works. The smell of an untreated exhaust as it went past was something else.

Then a 1969 DB6 Mk II. In absolutely mint condition, but also (unfortunately) a colour that can only be described as “Metallic light turd”.

Whilst the latter is worth about 50 x what the former is, I was still more impressed with the Princess.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,181
Location
Elginshire
Today, I saw a 1979 (V) Austin Princess, in jet black, and good nick. However it was much bigger than I remember the Princess to be, funny how the memory works. The smell of an untreated exhaust as it went past was something else.
There were some long-wheelbase versions made as limousines, funeral cars etc. That would explain the colour.

The Furious Driving YouTube channel has a video of one:

Apparently it's the only one left in the UK so if it was this one you saw, it's a lucky spot - it's the right age.
 

Top