• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Older cars you have seen

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,842
Location
Clydebank
Upthread I posted a very tidy Mercedes W124 300CE coupe. It's "uncle" - the W123 saloon - is catching sunshine near my local M&S at the mo. Registered August 1982. Stunning car.
Second image does open correct way up!
What a beauty, in one of my favourite colours too (if it were in a slightly darker shade of red, I'd be completely smitten). If I were offered a choice of a W123/124 or a Volvo 240 estate as a daily, practical classic driver, I'd go for broke & take both. Really can't go wrong with either.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Those were Clio adverts weren't they?
I remember them.

I also remember the spoof version someone did ( which I can't find on YouTube unfortunately ) which mimicked the adverts very well except for ending up in... how can I say this on a family friendly forum... an establishment usually advertised by means of red coloured lamps... :lol:
 

TheSel

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2017
Messages
1,170
Location
Southport, Merseyside
Sorry for the delay in posting - been away for a few days - but Monday 20 April found these two Hillman Imps passing through Moffat, returning from a rally.

1777649773590.png

1777649822383.png

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

... and by Saturday 25th, the weather had improved enough to bring this 1930's MG to the streets of Penicuik.

1777649947143.png
 
Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,387
Location
Wennington Crossovers
Mondeos used to be ubiquitous but I can't remember the last time I saw one - until an X reg original saloon just exited the car park.

It was in that deep metallic Imperial Blue which Ford used in the late 90s - early 00s era, as in this example...
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,070
A lovely Citroën DS23 Palais, what a beautiful car!
And a bit more mundane a Morris 1000 Traveller "woody".
 

Attachments

  • 20260430_191403.jpg
    20260430_191403.jpg
    959.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20260430_191229.jpg
    20260430_191229.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20260430_191648.jpg
    20260430_191648.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20260430_190557.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260430_190612.jpg
    20260430_190612.jpg
    954.3 KB · Views: 8

Ted633

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2018
Messages
571
Visited the Firebird Brewery in West Sussex (well worth a visit) and next door is Vantage Engineering.
Fair few quids worth of cars sitting outside!
Didn't photograph, but was also a mint Mk.1 Micra as well.
PXL_20260501_140834766.jpg
PXL_20260501_140724992.jpg
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
“Quick quick Mrs C, get a shot of that Maxi!”
“Eh, what, why?”

IMG_2926.jpeg

The photo probably isn’t going to make the front cover of Classic Car magazine but we saw this very tidy Maxi in Dawlish the other day.
 

contrex

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2009
Messages
1,680
Location
St Werburghs, Bristol
I remember them.

I also remember the spoof version someone did ( which I can't find on YouTube unfortunately ) which mimicked the adverts very well except for ending up in... how can I say this on a family friendly forum... an establishment usually advertised by means of red coloured lamps... :lol:
Can't we write 'bordello' on here? :D
 

KT550

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2020
Messages
935
Location
Surrey
This 1977 Mini 1000, seen yesterday in Tonbridge.
 

Attachments

  • Mini 1000.jpg
    Mini 1000.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 12
  • Mini 1000-2.jpg
    Mini 1000-2.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 12

contrex

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2009
Messages
1,680
Location
St Werburghs, Bristol
Speaking of 'family friendly' and 'red lights'... I was a bookish child, and at the age of 9 in 1961 I used to read everything I could get hold of, including my father's South London Press. Every week had a page called 'Is Your Neighbour in Court?'. A broadsheet sized page of lots of little stories from the various magistrates' courts. I noticed our own address in one of the stories, and the again in another! I should add that we lived in a maisonette and rented out the ground floor flat. 'Dad!' I called, 'what does "soliciting" mean?'. 'Why do you want to know?' demanded my very strait-laced father. 'Well', I replied, 'Mrs Tenant-Downstairs has been fined two pounds for it at Balham Magistrates Court' I also said that her husband Mr Tenant-Downstairs was fined for being drunk and disorderly at Camberwell the same day.. To say my father was annoyed would be an understatement. A staunch member of the Norwood Conservative Association (MP Brigadier Sir John Smyth, Bt, VC, MC, PC), and his address in the paper!. He never told me what it meant, but I found out myself. The whole thing contributed greatly to my feeling that the adult world was very strange, not least because Mrs Tenant-Downstairs, even to my inexperienced eye, was of an extremely unprepossessing appearance.
 
Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,842
Location
Clydebank
From my X24/X27 coach coming back from Dunfermline yesterday afternoon, I clapped eyes on a red Peugeot 106 (was a Phase 2 model with the updated front) on the side of Central Way in Cumbernauld (just down from the roundabout before the infamous Town Centre complex) with the bonnet up and the driver peering inside to see what the issue was. Looked like a very clean example besides the mechanical woes. I think it was on R-plate, but can't be 100% certain. Obviously didn't expect to see it and was on a fast-moving coach, so no pic.
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,690
Location
Seaford
The photo probably isn’t going to make the front cover of Classic Car magazine but we saw this very tidy Maxi in Dawlish the other day.

Great spot. This one’s a Maxi 2, from the last couple of years of production. The silver colour was (and is) rare.

Noting the roof rack - my dad invariably had a roof rack in situ on his Maxi, as though the interior wasn’t cavernous enough!
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,070
The colour reminded me of DeLorean's unpainted aluminium body.
Now, imagine a low-budget Back To The Future, where Doc's time machine is a Maxi 2. No 88mph in the old town square, that's for sure...
Then again the DeLorean wasn't exactly the fastest thing out there, the PRV engine not being the best fit.
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
This is a regular sight in my local village - Gomshall. It's a daily-use car and is very much NOT restored!
 

Attachments

  • 20260429_160816.jpeg
    20260429_160816.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 1000049419 (2).jpeg
    1000049419 (2).jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 1000049420 (2).jpeg
    1000049420 (2).jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Further to my last post - I was at the Dorking branch of Wickes the other day and this was being used as a day car.
 

Attachments

  • 20260415_123601.jpeg
    20260415_123601.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
Parked not far from the Midget I mentioned earlier (post 658), an early (1950s?) Beetle looking very tidy.
View attachment 203519

That’s a beauty. Pope’s nose deck lid and single coloured brake lights. That must be one of the first ones built after the oval back window ones.
 

Top