• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Older cars you have seen

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,736
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
OT, I admit :D One of joy of AI image generators, is recreating cars from my twenties. A Saab 900 Turbo? Rover SD1? Lotus Carlton? Lancia Delta Integrale HF? Renault 5 GT Turbo? How about a crashed Peugeot 205 GTI? Voila....
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,954
Today I saw a Morris Ital estate, parked behind a barn (I didn’t get the reg). Naturally it was in ‘Effluent Brown’.
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
Update on the Triumph 2000 it's actually an old L reg.
As for cars seen today,
An S reg Toyota MR2,
An X reg Hyundai Atoz
And a "Bambi" Bedford Rascal based motorhome, not 100% sure on the manufacturer though.
Edit:
Also just seen an old flat bed from the bus in West Allington, no idea what it was but something akin to what Claude Greengrass had.
 

Attachments

  • 20251231_101306.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,685
Location
Solihull
Today, V reg Corsa and an L reg Mercedes (couldn't see the back of it so couldn't say which one, but looked E class size).
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
A few on my walk around Portland today.

An E reg Audi 80
An 02 plate BMW Z3
A T reg Peugeot 206
A P teg Toyota Hilux
An old F reg Triumph Herald 13/60
A W reg Nissan Elgrand Highway Star
A 53 reg New Beetle convertible
A Y reg Peugeot 306
A W reg Ford F150 (LHD so obviously an import)
A 51 reg Vauxhall Corsa 1.2
A 52 reg Mk. 1 Ford Focus LX
A F reg Volkswagen Transporter Camper (converted by Richard Holsworth)
A V reg Nissan Micra (K11 I believe)
 

Attachments

  • 20260101_120619.jpg
    20260101_120619.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,083
A C reg Porsche today near Wilmslow. As old as me (and probably in better condition!)

An N reg Mercedes 320 in Prescot Merseyside on Tuesday.
 

notverydeep

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2014
Messages
1,187
OK, I can start with my father's Volvo September 2001 XX51 plate Volvo V70, which is a 5 cylinder 2.4 petrol. Still a nice drive when I go down to see him (and better than my own car), but awful turning circle! Weirdly worse in that respect than its 850 predecessor (which he had prior to the V70)...
 

david1212

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2020
Messages
1,756
Location
Midlands
G (1968-1969) Jaguar Mk2. From Wikipedia probably a 240 or 340.
F (1988-1989) Mitsubishi Pajero long-wheelbase.
J (1991-1992) Hyundai hatchback. From Wikipedia probably an Excel / Pony X2.
R (1997-1998) Honda Civic sixth generation.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,372
Location
Yorkshire
V reg Vauxhall Corsa seen in Wakefield Thursday evening.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

It probably wouldn't be desirable in the UK, very few run of the mill unknown vehicles are.

Just after I took the photo and we were continuing our walk the owner arrived and drove away, he looked old enough to have owned it since new.
Sorry to quote a post from months ago, but I think I'd meant to reply to this one at the time and didn't for whatever reason...

YouTube channels like Hubnut seem to have made the "ordinary" older cars a bit more desirable, for some at least. Events like the annual "Festival of the Unexceptional" are growing in popularity. Something like a 1970s or 80s Seat would certainly get lots of attention there! I've always been a fan of the mundane classics, I'd quite like to get myself another late-build Renault 5 but nearly all the survivors that hit the market seem to be the ASBO-tastic GT version (or are dressed up as one). I'm sure those are great fun but even back in the day I thought they were ugly as heck with the stupid skirts.
W reg Renault Scenic in Kent.
There's a green 51-plate Megane Scenic parked on Wakefield Road in Huddersfield near the park. I don't think it's moved for years as it's always in the exact same space but it looks in reasonable shape from what you can see as you drive past. I keep meaning to note the reg number so I can check its history, but end up forgetting!
 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
A natty little J plate Vauxhall/Bedford Rascal camper van parked up where I’m working at the moment.
IMG_7029.jpeg

I think if I stretched my legs in that thing in the morning I’d end up kicking the windscreen out. :lol:
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,372
Location
Yorkshire
A natty little J plate Vauxhall/Bedford Rascal camper van parked up where I’m working at the moment.
View attachment 195556

I think if I stretched my legs in that thing in the morning I’d end up kicking the windscreen out. :lol:
I like those little micro-campers you occasionally see around. Not sure how practical they'd be in reality, but they'd be fun until the novelty wears off at least!

A few years ago, there was a micro-camper based on a Reliant Robin that snuck into the footage of a Jago Hazzard video. If I had that, I'd have to commission a sticker for the back window that said "If the van's a-rocking... send help!"
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
Talking about smaller campervans look up Vandemonium on YouTube, he made one out of a Toyota Pro Ace (same vehicle as the Citroën Dispatch) with no real exterior modifications other than windows, a vent and solar panels. It seems to work alright for him.

Two interesting vehicles today, an old N reg Mercedes van with an open back section, possibly a camper. Also a Seat version of the VW caddy, either 51 plate or older I can't remember.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
Every time I see a Rascal on the roads, I wonder how on earth it hasn't toppled over. This one takes "a high centre of gravity" to another level... :D

I’m not sure if it’s a slightly different kind of van but I always think of Richard Hammond giving one the old “Scandinavian Flick” :)
 

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,222
Location
WCML N
That's a little Hiace isn't it?!

Not particularly old, but I saw an absolutely immaculate 51 plate Jag XJ in racing green metallic on Wednesday. Obviously, a distinguished looking old boy at the wheel, and I gave him a thumb and forefinger circle 'nice one' gesture when i pulled alongside at the lights in my dirty Merc estate!
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
Also a Seat version of the VW caddy, either 51 plate or older I can't remember.
That'll be a SEAT Inca.

It was a little strange with that generation as neither version of the Caddy was based on a VW car, with the Van being a rebadge of the SEAT Ibiza based Inca while the pickup was a rebadged Skoda Felicia.


As an aside, the saloon and estate of the mk3 Polo were also a rebadge of a SEAT model (the Cordoba) so they had a completely different body to the hatchback and shared no body panels.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,372
Location
Yorkshire
That'll be a SEAT Inca.

It was a little strange with that generation as neither version of the Caddy was based on a VW car, with the Van being a rebadge of the SEAT Ibiza based Inca while the pickup was a rebadged Skoda Felicia.


As an aside, the saloon and estate of the mk3 Polo were also a rebadge of a SEAT model (the Cordoba) so they had a completely different body to the hatchback and shared no body panels.
The more recent Polo is still based on the same platform as the contemporary Ibiza/Fabia/A3, but with far more shared components. The main differences between a Seat Ibiza estate and the Audi A3 are (a) the price; and (b) the engine size.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

That's a little Hiace isn't it?!
I think so (haven't watched the clip).
The Bedford Rascal was a rebadged Suzuki Carry, the Bedford Midi was a rebadged Hiace. Both were sold as Vauxhalls for the last couple of years of production.
 

Top