What else do you do with the Moorgate services?
They are basically a self contained route (in/around London) that needs dual voltage EMUs, so there are parallels with the LO routes (bearing in mind that LO run to Watford, which is beyond their "borders").
If the Cambridge/Kings Lynn "express" services become part of East Coast (due to running IEP trains) or Greater Anglia (due to serving Cambridge) then there'll be no Thameslink services at Kings Cross (once the existing Peterborough/ Cambridge 'semi fasts" go to the Thameslink tunnel).
(I've seen suggestion of putting a "full" service to Moorgate, though I can't remember where)
So, do you give the Moorgate services to:
- Southern/Thameslink (which will be a massive franchise, with its main focus south of the Thames)?
- Greater Anglia (which it has little to do with)
- LO (who run dual voltage EMUs and already run outside "London")?
- A stand alone franchise (albeit with a fairly small operation, so possibly not very efficient)?
I'm not saying any are "ideal", but you can see why LO are suggested