• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Light-Hearted) Worst-Targetted Ads on This Forum & Elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,820
Location
West of Andover
Adverts for Thatch insurance currently for me ...

... Quite a niche insurance product for those who live accommodation with thatched roofs.
 

Typhoon

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2017
Messages
3,540
Location
Kent
Not this Forum (Jet2 holidays - they are not to know I don't have a passport - and Paver's Shoes, which means nothing except I wouldn't buy shoes on-line).

My Outlook account continues to attract the inappropriate ads. Car, van & truck rental ... in Germany!. The knowledge that my account ends .co.uk might be a clue that the ad is unlikely to be productive. I can return the vehicle to Bochum apparently. I have never been to Germany and have never searched for car rental (mainly because I don't drive)!

Still, I would rather have adverts like that, it does make a change!
 

43172

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2020
Messages
161
Location
South west England
I've just had an advert on the forum home page from a company called City Express Money Transfer (screenshot attached below). The most confusing thing is that there Facebook page gives a location of Kathmandu, Nepal. Only problems are a) can't read the language and b) there is a fair few thousand miles between Cornwall and Nepal
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20221001-203223.png
    Screenshot_20221001-203223.png
    575.5 KB · Views: 27

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,163
Location
Elginshire
Having seen adverts for MI5 and GCHQ recruitment, I was presented with this a moment ago :)

Screenshot_2022-10-03-09-56-36-769~2.jpeg

(Image shows ad that says "Why join FSB?")
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,290
Having seen adverts for MI5 and GCHQ recruitment, I was presented with this a moment ago

(Image shows ad that says "Why join FSB?")
Take it that ad's for the "Federation of Small Businesses" and not the Russian federal security service? :rolleyes:
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,468
Location
Exile or exile
I'm now getting adverts for "Visit Jordan - the timeless kingdom", and "Log Cabin Configurator" - none of which I have the remotest interest in, and none of which are related to any of my recent internet searches.
I've just refreshed, and I'm now being offered a ski holiday in Kitzbuhel, "Austria's best ski resort," according to the advert.
Anyone who's seen me balancing on a wall, riding a bicycle, or in fact doing anything involving balance, will know that skiing is not exactly the sort of thing I'd be happy to do...
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,717
Location
Croydon
I'm now getting adverts for "Visit Jordan - the timeless kingdom", and "Log Cabin Configurator" - none of which I have the remotest interest in, and none of which are related to any of my recent internet searches.
I've just refreshed, and I'm now being offered a ski holiday in Kitzbuhel, "Austria's best ski resort," according to the advert.
Anyone who's seen me balancing on a wall, riding a bicycle, or in fact doing anything involving balance, will know that skiing is not exactly the sort of thing I'd be happy to do...
So, booze adverts for you then !.
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,468
Location
Exile or exile
So, booze adverts for you then !.
I'm actually getting Dell computer adverts and Howdens Kitchen Brochure now, which are slightly better than booze adverts (I wasn't an aide to Boris Johnson) but not much...

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

"Shipping Containers for sale!"
(Apologies for continually listing the adverts I'm getting, but that's the most ridiculous advert I've ever seen!)
(Well it might perhaps be topped by the "Make your Will for free!" advert from the Red Cross that I have now. I hope I've got at least another 60 years left in me :lol:)
 
Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Having seen adverts for MI5 and GCHQ recruitment, I was presented with this a moment ago :)

View attachment 121597

(Image shows ad that says "Why join FSB?")
Take it that ad's for the "Federation of Small Businesses" and not the Russian federal security service? :rolleyes:
I certainly hope so!

(My bolding) -- have just noticed this exchange. So that's what that outfit is called nowadays? (I confess that in the main, I deliberately avoid current affairs.) I recall from a scene with which I was briefly involved nearly 25 years ago -- which even then, was concerned about mischief-making by Russia in international doings -- that said agency then went by "SVR": which amused me by being also the initials of the Severn Valley Railway.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,290
FSB operations are internal within Russia.

SVR is their external, i.e. foreign intelligence, operation.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Thanks ! I now just have to find some railway with the initials FSB (in the German-speaking area? -- Something-Something Bahn?)
 

PTR 444

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2019
Messages
2,647
Location
Wimborne
Lately I’ve been getting a lot of ads on here for UKDB departure boards, although I have to say their product look pretty good. Not everyday you see a multitude of colour at your average bus shelter.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,717
Location
Croydon
Given the recent discussion about food standards (or lack thereof) in the Brexit thread, maybe not so niche!
You know. I had no clue what you were referring to until I realised I was totally ignoring the post above, or rather the advert in it !.
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,468
Location
Exile or exile
"Police Auctions"
I'm definitely not going to one of those, I'd probably accidentally buy the Met through sneezing or something...
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,621
Location
Isle of Man
I didn't take a screenshot, but I've repeatedly had an advert for absorbent period underwear advertised by a model with one leg.

I'm not sure a rail forum is quite the target market, but hey.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,717
Location
Croydon
"Police Auctions"
I'm definitely not going to one of those, I'd probably accidentally buy the Met through sneezing or something...

Reminds me of stolen property. I was once told by a pub landlord that the things people sold in his pub were overpriced but people bought them because they assumed stolen meant an amazingly good bargain. He said they were unlikely to be stolen as otherwise they would get collared.

That reminds me of "Cash Converters" that sells second hand items. Many times I discover the same item in the likes of Argos for less.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I didn't take a screenshot, but I've repeatedly had an advert for absorbent period underwear advertised by a model with one leg.

I'm not sure a rail forum is quite the target market, but hey.
Wow - a whole leg absorbed.
 
Last edited:

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
I am surprised Google are carrying this ad...

1667373952516.png

It links to a fake BBC News report, where Rishi Sunak is apparently encouraging everyone to invest in Bitcoin.

Unfortunately working in a bank I regularly see people fall for nonsense like this. I've reported it to Google and the National Cyber Security Centre.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,897
Just had an ad on this forum for the graduate training scheme for SIS (“MI6”).

I’m flattered on two counts!

But also slightly worried. Who’s watching…….
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top