• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Light-Hearted) Worst-Targetted Ads on This Forum & Elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,716
Location
Scotland
MQTT (Message Queue Telemetry Transport) is the new(ish) kid on the block for 'smart buildings' (and probably other things).
Message passing is useful for a lot of things. The Network Rail data feeds are optionally sent by MQTT for example, and I installed a solar power system at my parent's house and can get data from it and control the inverter using MQTT.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,345
Location
University of Birmingham
I see that i'm not the only one getting concrete ads. That seems very odd for it to give a different ad when the keyboard pops up, I just get the same ad irrespective of wether the keyboard is up or not.

A quick Google search gives auto sleepers as a type of motorhome, and also listing a business in Willersey of the same name.
Willersey isn't that far from where I (sometimes) live. Maybe Big Brother is watching after all...
:D
 

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,990
Currently I'm getting self-build houses (nope!) and automated milking machines again.

I'm pleased these advertisers support the forum and hope they don't realise how much money they're wasting.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,885
On this thread I'm getting an advert about adverts. Do I win? :lol:
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20220709-083339_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220709-083339_Chrome.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 24

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Yahoo/ search funeral plans! Strangely I messaged my wife on Facebook messenger or WhatsApp yesterday to let her know her car was dead and I’d arranged a scrap man to collect it. Presumably the word ‘dead’ triggered this advert!
After a refresh I got “making a will is simple”
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
I get all sorts of ads, sometimes they come up once in a blue moon, other times they're more regular. Occasionally, I do see an ad that actually is relevant, even if not hugely, but more often it's ads like the one I got when I went to page 2 of this thread.

First attached image is from the bottom of page 1 (the one that is somewhat relevant as I do a lot of fitness stuff and I go through plenty of water bottles), the second from the bottom of page 2. The top of the page ads are usually for some business local to me. Sometimes that 'local' stretches as far as the likes of Gloucester, but that's not all that far if I want to go for something specific that Hereford and Worcester don't do. So it's not unreasonable!

I also want to ad (pun intended!) that I'm enjoying this thread!
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20220710-233017_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220710-233017_Chrome.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20220710-233145_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220710-233145_Chrome.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 32

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
Everytime I visit UK Defence Journal I get ads inviting me to sue my employer for hearing loss.
Likely due to the Ajax vehicle program :P
 

Typhoon

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2017
Messages
3,540
Location
Kent
Microsoft are putting an ad at the top of Inbox entries on Outlook.

Most are easy to ignore ('Forex trading') but I keep getting one for a 'local Barking based Locksmith - £48 labour, used by Met Police, 15/20 minutes response'.

I live in East Kent, I do search for maps on different sites - mainly maps of areas in Kent, usually East Kent - for places I can get to using my old man's bus pass. Also out of the way villages that might be interesting for a casual jaunt. I've never been to Barking, surely they are not working on hit-and-hope? Usually geographically targetted are pretty close. Just crossing the Dartford Bridge will use up the response time.

Unfortunately I've guaranteed that I will see the advert more often - I looked at the website. If the owners are reading this, it is out of date!

.
 

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,990
Microsoft are putting an ad at the top of Inbox entries on Outlook.

Most are easy to ignore ('Forex trading') but I keep getting one for a 'local Barking based Locksmith - £48 labour, used by Met Police, 15/20 minutes response'.

I live in East Kent, I do search for maps on different sites - mainly maps of areas in Kent, usually East Kent - for places I can get to using my old man's bus pass. Also out of the way villages that might be interesting for a casual jaunt. I've never been to Barking, surely they are not working on hit-and-hope? Usually geographically targetted are pretty close. Just crossing the Dartford Bridge will use up the response time.

Unfortunately I've guaranteed that I will see the advert more often - I looked at the website. If the owners are reading this, it is out of date!

.
I've had some for Waitrose which have correctly shown my nearest branch. Not that I'd travel 8 miles each way to go grocery shopping!

Currently I'm getting ads for UK Departure Boards, who supply systems for your home or business so that's pretty well targeted.
 

Typhoon

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2017
Messages
3,540
Location
Kent
I've had some for Waitrose which have correctly shown my nearest branch. Not that I'd travel 8 miles each way to go grocery shopping!

Currently I'm getting ads for UK Departure Boards, who supply systems for your home or business so that's pretty well targeted.
I've now got an advert for a housing developer - in Berkshire. Not an issue, I may want to move from the coast to the commuter belt. Click on it. Whichever type of property - sold out. Is this an attempt to impress me that they've sold their over-inflated-priced rabbit hutches? Didn't work.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
I’ve got sell my camper van for free!
I won’t be doing that thanks. :lol:
 

PTR 444

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2019
Messages
2,647
Location
Wimborne
Something (slightly tenuously) relevant to these forums for a change…
 

Attachments

  • D813E1D3-7416-4759-90B0-93A6D1ACD401.jpeg
    D813E1D3-7416-4759-90B0-93A6D1ACD401.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 39

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,894
I currently have an advert for plus sized ladies wear. But it’s not the weekend yet!
 

43301

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2022
Messages
190
Amazon is one of the worst. Buy (say) a sink plunger, and a few days later you will see adverts (or even get an email) advertising sink plungers. Why? If you've just bought something chances are you aren't going to want to buy another one the following week!

Same with books - they send emails about 'books you might be interested in' - some of which you have already bought, from them!
 

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
5,017
Location
Yellabelly Country
I loved the irony of this ad. Green Flag breakdown recovery and discounts on car related products, on the thread about Vivarail developing battery powered trains.

1657853942767.png

Image shows screenshot of Rail UK thread about battery trains with advert for Green Flag breakdown service
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,467
Location
Exile or exile
I'm getting adverts for women's waterproof macs several sizes too big for me. I'm a) male, b) already have a waterproof mac, and c) don't think I'll be needing them any time soon!
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,300
Amazon is one of the worst. Buy (say) a sink plunger, and a few days later you will see adverts (or even get an email) advertising sink plungers. Why? If you've just bought something chances are you aren't going to want to buy another one the following week!

Same with books - they send emails about 'books you might be interested in' - some of which you have already bought, from them!
Paperback versions for books I already have on Kindle. Is that common?
 

Typhoon

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2017
Messages
3,540
Location
Kent
Same with books - they send emails about 'books you might be interested in' - some of which you have already bought, from them!
I had one for a book I had bought from them, which they had asked me to review. I was pretty scathing as it needs editing, it is badly organised and there is no index or contents; it looks like the author has just written sections without thinking how they fit in with the rest of the book.
I wasn't impressed the first time, I don't suppose it will improve the second although I now know I can go straight to page 94.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
For once I got an ad on the previous thread I was looking at which was appropriate to what I was reading! Tour de France 2022 thread (which seriously needs more people to post on it!) and I got an ad for Calnago Italian racing bikes! If I had the money for such a bike, I don't have the room for another bike!
 
Joined
9 Oct 2020
Messages
114
Location
Norwich
I've just had one for automatic milking machinery.

I have no interest in dairy farming, live in an urban area and have not browsed any sites even vaguely connected with that industry or product. Any tenuous connection with railways ended when the last milk trains ran (in the 1960s?).
I just saw your post, told someone else in the room about it, and look what i got
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2022-07-17 22.48.50.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-17 22.48.50.png
    346.6 KB · Views: 38

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,990
I just saw your post, told someone else in the room about it, and look what i got
I've just got it again!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

And now .... sexy ladieswear. I might be tempted to buy the wife or girlfriend something but I'm single. Oh, and mobile phones, though not a brand I've heard of.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
I too had not heard of TCL until recently, they're a basic smartphone running Android Go but if all you really do with your phone is calls and texts (which is what two of my family use them for) then it's not really an issue.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top