• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Because they're nowhere near Droitwich !:lol::p

OK. A clue. The station has an hourly service in each direction - usually pacers or class 150s
Because they're generally up north, where I have very little knowledge. ;£
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I was going to say Newton St Cyres, near Exeter, but most trains don't stop there. Is this close at all?
 

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
I was going to say Newton St Cyres, near Exeter, but most trains don't stop there. Is this close at all?

Geographically a bit closer than Dore and Totley, but it doesn't fit the junction bit at all.

Just to reiterate, just beyond the station there is a 4 way junction where trains can either continue straight on (as all normal passenger ones do), turn right (freight only branch - maybe OOU), or reverse back left (passenger diversions).
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
When did Pacers go to Coatbridge? :?

Didn't see that bit :oops: - CBC was the only station that instantly came to mind that was like that - it sits on a junction to all four compass points, but passenger trains only run North-South (and vice versa).
 

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
Not Coatbridge Central, not Gainsborough Lea Road. [ I've already said it isn't "up north" ! ]

Gainsborough not a bad guess, but the line is SINGLE TRACK and the junction is IMMEDIATELY next to the station.

Next Clue. This station, and whole line, closed to passengers in 1970, and reopened in the early 1990s.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
As with virtually every other station in Essex (Chappel & Wakes Colne and Bures being the only exceptions, and then only by 300 metres in the latter example), Ockendon is electrified.

The details suggest a station not too far from here, possibly in South Wales? But I really can't think of there it could be...
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
It may not be up north but I'm struggling to think of places it could be down south! :lol:

It is either FGW or ATW, and no further west than Exeter, but that isn't saying much... :roll:

It's that diversion thing that's annoying me. I'm now wondering if it's near Rhymney?
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
Neither are correct, I'll give some juicy clues on this I think, as it will probably be very hard.

First clue is HST's do not stop there.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
We will need more clues because there are still multiple examples!

I'm going to say Avonmouth, but I can't remember if it actually has proper buildings anywhere or just a massive shelter...
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
We will need more clues because there are still multiple examples!

I'm going to say Avonmouth, but I can't remember if it actually has proper buildings anywhere or just a massive shelter...

It's not Avonmouth, but it is on a branch line...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top