• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Whoop-dee-doo! (Or however it's spelt.)

Considering how many potential answers there were, that actually didn't last that long... :?

I am going to try to make this special, being my first for ages.

Give me a minute or two [or eleven as it turned out!]...
 
Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I see that the early rule isn't really used any more (I'm sure I stopped using it before), so here goes...

As a general rule of thumb, away from very large settlements (circa 250,000 and above), stations that share the same first letter as me perform fairly poorly in patronage figures, in spite of my letter - itself part of at least one digraph in the Welsh language - being quite a common first letter. However, by that lousy standard I am fairly large, although even then there are larger stations fairly close by in both directions on my solitary route, which is double-tracked and not electrified. I am within 50 miles of the border between England and one of Scotland and Wales and have services to both England and the other part of the United Kingdom. I have a fairly regular service but my frequency is not entirely standard; I tend to get two trains an hour each way on weekdays but this can vary, and a small number of services pass straight through. Lastly, the next station to the south shares the same first letter as me, but it has only one instance of the letter, whereas I have two.
 
Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
And Ludlow would be right.

I knew it would be easy, but I wanted to give a ridiculous clue! The next time it is my turn, it will be the reverse - a basic clue but a hard station. Something like this, but obviously not exactly so: "End of short branch line which has metro-esque station intervals, is entirely urban and has only one track" [Coryton].
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
This station has recently acquired a second platform but no additional services. HSTs pass through but do not stop.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
I can't be bothered to think of a hard one:

I have two platforms, I have had services to Nottingham and London in the past but not anymore; I am unelectrified.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
None of these.

A few of the stations mentioned used to be managed my the same TOC.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Somewhere in wales? Let's try Bangor
No
Surely not a certain station in Worcestershire beginning with D??? ;)
Finally someone's got it. When I said I couldn't be bothered to make a hard one, those on the ball should've realised how easy it would be. I never expected it to last this long.

To solve any clues people are stuck on: It used to be managed by Central Trains, who also managed Uttoxeter etc.; in CT days it was served by a HFD-NOT service; in the 1990s it had a direct service to London Paddington using class 166 units.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,498
Location
Birmingham
Okay, next one, I'll be quite generous with the clues as I won't have internet access for a few days after this evening.

-I am a junction station, leaving in one direction there is a Y shaped junction, both routes are served by passenger services.

-All services are provided by one TOC.

-In the opposite direction to the junction, the vast majority of services terminate at the same station.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top