• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR - Train Manager / Conductor Recruitment and Discussion

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
Jonny sorry to hear that mate, surprised they didn’t give you option to relocate seeing as progressed so far! And yea waiting on Swansea but they just pulled all their host on to the last few courses to move up to TM so not expecting any jobs any time soon, so may have to cut my loses and go else where which is a shame put a lot of work into it !

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi it was back last summer I went into the talent pool. Have recently passed TFW train manager too so also in the talent pool there for Cardiff mainline (only since March) so wondering which will come up first. Hoping GWR won’t be too long now, they did estimate a year or so at the time when I passed.
Where was the GWR role for mate if don’t mind me asking
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bair26

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2025
Messages
48
Location
Bath
Got a course date and just awaiting medical etc now.

Hoping it will all be well as I have Crohn’s disease that is really well managed but I do have treatment in hospital at regular intervals for it. Fingers crossed!
 

LocoS

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2025
Messages
10
Location
wales
Got a course date and just awaiting medical etc now.

Hoping it will all be well as I have Crohn’s disease that is really well managed but I do have treatment in hospital at regular intervals for it. Fingers crossed!
Good luck for the medical!

Which station will you be based at? I am still waiting on Bristol Parkway
 

bair26

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2025
Messages
48
Location
Bath
Successful email in May, course date for October given in August - hope that helps!
 

bair26

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2025
Messages
48
Location
Bath
Yes they had said it could be up to 12 months but they were hoping that there would be a slot before Christmas… I guess each and every station is different!
 

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
Yes they had said it could be up to 12 months but they were hoping that there would be a slot before Christmas… I guess each and every station is different!
Well better then me be well over 12 months and no light at the end of the tunnel lol!!! Enjoy mate
 

Kay Dee

New Member
Joined
15 Aug 2023
Messages
1
Location
West Croydon
Hello Family,
just wanted to know if anyone has any idea of what individual and group assessment entails plus interview as I have applied for Conductor for GWR and dealt with all online assessment.
 

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
When I went through which was last September after the on line test if short listed it was straight to local interview with Line Manager. This was a usual Skills based interview tell us a time you did XYZ etc. But I though some this year had said they were called in for group assessment so no sure if they have brought that back in. Good luck
 

klop24

New Member
Joined
15 Aug 2025
Messages
2
Location
london
Hi can someone explain how does TM medical assessment work for GWR in reading?
Like how long it takes and what they do step by step.
 

rob wright

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2019
Messages
49
Hi can someone explain how does TM medical assessment work for GWR in reading?
Like how long it takes and what they do step by step.
hearing and sight tests, blood pressure, any conditions and a drugs test. about an hour
 

bair26

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2025
Messages
48
Location
Bath
I did find a previous thread from 2019 but it was closed to replies hence the new thread!

Does anybody know what the TM training looks like in terms of days of the week whilst in classroom initially and how far in advance some sort of schedule is provided? Aware it is all subject to change of course but a vague outline or any info much appreciated at this point!

Thanks!
 
Joined
4 Dec 2011
Messages
600
From off the street to being productive I'd say a good four - six months. Including corporate induction/training, guards rules classes, retail training, shadowing, route learning etc.
 

Lmc1976

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2017
Messages
162
You get a schedule about two weeks before you start, certainly for the classroom side of it which will be Monday to Friday. There’s a little bit of shift work in it aswell where you will be “shadowing” a qualified TM out and about for a few weeks
There’s a bit more flexibility when it comes to route learning.
 

DougSouthWest

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2025
Messages
7
Location
South West
Hi,

I am applying for a conductor role with GWR and I was wondering how people found the OPC tests? Also how did you find the interview?
 

Railway1642

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2021
Messages
82
Location
Wales
Hello,

Does anyone know how long the GWR talent pool is for Train Manager?
Wondered when Swansea depot was likely to be recruited for again. TIA
 

Robbiern

New Member
Joined
15 Jun 2025
Messages
2
Location
Gloucester
Had my interview in May which I passed, got my dates to start (Nov) yesterday so spent around 6 months in the pool, not bad as was quoted 9-12 months. Was told you stay in the pool for 3 years.
 

LocoS

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2025
Messages
10
Location
wales
Had my interview in May which I passed, got my dates to start (Nov) yesterday so spent around 6 months in the pool, not bad as was quoted 9-12 months. Was told you stay in the pool for 3 years.
Well done, good to see courses running. Which depot/base is this for?
 
Last edited:

LocoS

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2025
Messages
10
Location
wales
Can anyone advise what the current training salary is for the 6 months before qualified as Train Manager with GWR? I know the final salary is 44,342 according to the job ad but cannot remember the starting salary whilst training. Thanks
 

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
Can anyone advise what the current training salary is for the 6 months before qualified as Train Manager with GWR? I know the final salary is 44,342 according to the job ad but cannot remember the starting salary whilst training. Thanks
It was around 30k mate for about 6 months

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hello,

Does anyone know how long the GWR talent pool is for Train Manager?
Wondered when Swansea depot was likely to be recruited for again. TIA
Hi mate I applied in August last year was placed in talent pool in October. Still waiting, I know they promoted a few Hosts to TM in Swansea in January, so think it’s still going to be 6 months + unfortunately ! But well done for getting this far !!
 

LocoS

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2025
Messages
10
Location
wales
It was around 30k mate for about 6 months

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Hi mate I applied in August last year was placed in talent pool in October. Still waiting, I know they promoted a few Hosts to TM in Swansea in January, so think it’s still going to be 6 months + unfortunately ! But well done for getting this far !!
Cheers, just had my start date confirmed the salary isn’t mentioned on my conditional offer. I assume it will come through with the rest of my contract after my medical next week.
 

TM2025

New Member
Joined
23 Sep 2025
Messages
3
Location
London
I did find a previous thread from 2019 but it was closed to replies hence the new thread!

Does anybody know what the TM training looks like in terms of days of the week whilst in classroom initially and how far in advance some sort of schedule is provided? Aware it is all subject to change of course but a vague outline or any info much appreciated at this point!

Thanks!

Successful email in May, course date for October given in August - hope that helps!

Successful email in May, course date for October given in August - hope that helps!
Hi Bair26

Have you started the course yet? I'm due soon and was wondering if you could pass me on any info on the curse, the training material etc.
Thanks in advance
 

Top