• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR - Train Manager / Conductor Recruitment and Discussion

spudknowsbest

Member
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
11
Location
UK
Does anyone know how long it is between assessments and finding out if you have an interview, its been nearly a month now!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
Thanks for the clarification Frenchy, that definitely helps! I've downloaded the group bourdon tool with the very handy SCAAT practice section on it.
It is for GWR yes, and it's for Penzance. Where do you work out of?
Another quick question regarding the ticket checking test this time. Is it just the checking test or is it the ticket selling and checking test that I'd be ask to do?
Thanks again!
Hi,

I applied for swansea
Passed every thing now in the talent pool awaiting a start date
But have been waiting nearly 8 months!! The ticket
Check is things like peak and off peak paid to
Travel right station on the correct
Date etc, So no selling just checking ! It makes sense when you have a
Practise one!

Best of luck

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Does anyone know how long it is between assessments and finding out if you have an interview, its been nearly a month now!
It was a good 8 - 10 weeks when i did it in august found out passed in august was called for interview till October

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I am in the same position as you. Did they give you any rough time frame? And what station from?
Swansea and no it
Coming up to 8 month now so i have started applying for
Other roles now just in case
 

Limmy82

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2025
Messages
5
Location
Exeter
I've received an email inviting me to a second assessment (individual and group exercise with a possible interview if passing those), I was a bit confused by the invitation as the prior email I received said the next stage would be straight to interview so the additional assessments has surprised me. Does anyone know what to expect of these assessments? Is there anything I can do to prepare?

Also I'm not sure I can make either of the dates I've been offered as I currently have a chest infection and I'm not sure if I'll be 100% by the assessment dates. I'm worried to click the "I can't make these times" button in case it cancels my application. Does anyone know how likely it is that they will have more dates available?
 

DMckduck

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2020
Messages
488
I've received an email inviting me to a second assessment (individual and group exercise with a possible interview if passing those), I was a bit confused by the invitation as the prior email I received said the next stage would be straight to interview so the additional assessments has surprised me. Does anyone know what to expect of these assessments? Is there anything I can do to prepare?

Also I'm not sure I can make either of the dates I've been offered as I currently have a chest infection and I'm not sure if I'll be 100% by the assessment dates. I'm worried to click the "I can't make these times" button in case it cancels my application. Does anyone know how likely it is that they will have more dates available?
With your second point, no harm in giving recruitment a call or email. I'd give preference to the call, but these roles are competitive and quite often if you can't make it for said dates you may find yourself waiting for the next recruitment cycle.
 

spudknowsbest

Member
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
11
Location
UK
I've received an email inviting me to a second assessment (individual and group exercise with a possible interview if passing those), I was a bit confused by the invitation as the prior email I received said the next stage would be straight to interview so the additional assessments has surprised me. Does anyone know what to expect of these assessments? Is there anything I can do to prepare?

Also I'm not sure I can make either of the dates I've been offered as I currently have a chest infection and I'm not sure if I'll be 100% by the assessment dates. I'm worried to click the "I can't make these times" button in case it cancels my application. Does anyone know how likely it is that they will have more dates available?
Which depot did you apply for chief?
 

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
Thanks for the clarification Frenchy, that definitely helps! I've downloaded the group bourdon tool with the very handy SCAAT practice section on it.
It is for GWR yes, and it's for Penzance. Where do you work out of?
Another quick question regarding the ticket checking test this time. Is it just the checking test or is it the ticket selling and checking test that I'd be ask to do?
Thanks again!
Hi not with GWR yet waiting in the talent pool for Swansea, but not much movement at the moment
 

Dav182

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2021
Messages
9
Location
Wales
Hi not with GWR yet waiting in the talent pool for Swansea, but not much movement at the moment
Hi mate, I passed all the tests on the 14th February. Do you know how long you had to wait before you heard about an interview date?
 

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
Hi mate, I passed all the tests on the 14th February. Do you know how long you had to wait before you heard about an interview date?
Hi it was a good 6 weeks from last test to interviews got told results of last test mid August interview was early October so good luck
 

Dav182

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2021
Messages
9
Location
Wales
Hi it was a good 6 weeks from last test to interviews got told results of last test mid August interview was early October so good luck
Thank you, just had an email to say the Guard managers have been out of office so should hear shortly!
 

bair26

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2025
Messages
48
Location
Bath
Hi mate, I passed all the tests on the 14th February. Do you know how long you had to wait before you heard about an interview date?
Passed all tests here too and waiting to hear on shortlist/interview. Good luck!
 

djapp

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2024
Messages
28
Location
Bromsgrove
GWR yet waiting in the talent pool for Swansea, but not much movement at
Well i've just found out I passed the OPC assessments today after applying last month for Gloucester. My application is under review at the moment so Im guessing I won't hear much for a good few weeks now unless im unsuccessful I reckon you'll be weeded out quite quick. Out of all the TOCs recruitment processes I've found GWR and Avanti to be pretty good with communication and the sifting process. Where is everyone's applications at for Gloucester? My friend also applied for Swansea and thats taking longer than normal he applied in January apparently management issues.
 

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
Well i've just found out I passed the OPC assessments today after applying last month for Gloucester. My application is under review at the moment so Im guessing I won't hear much for a good few weeks now unless im unsuccessful I reckon you'll be weeded out quite quick. Out of all the TOCs recruitment processes I've found GWR and Avanti to be pretty good with communication and the sifting process. Where is everyone's applications at for Gloucester? My friend also applied for Swansea and thats taking longer than normal he applied in January apparently management issues.
O good luck let me know is short listed and ill give heads up on interview
 

bair26

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2025
Messages
48
Location
Bath
O good luck let me know is short listed and ill give heads up on interview
Any idea on how long the shortlisting process takes? Currently waiting to hear if shortlisted - just over 2 weeks but they did say I would hear either way.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Well i've just found out I passed the OPC assessments today after applying last month for Gloucester. My application is under review at the moment so Im guessing I won't hear much for a good few weeks now unless im unsuccessful I reckon you'll be weeded out quite quick. Out of all the TOCs recruitment processes I've found GWR and Avanti to be pretty good with communication and the sifting process. Where is everyone's applications at for Gloucester? My friend also applied for Swansea and thats taking longer than normal he applied in January apparently management issues.
Waiting to hear if shortlisted for Gloucester here!
 

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
Any idea on how long the shortlisting process takes? Currently waiting to hear if shortlisted - just over 2 weeks but they did say I would hear either way.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Waiting to hear if shortlisted for Gloucester here!
Be a good 6 - 8 weeks
 

djapp

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2024
Messages
28
Location
Bromsgrove
Applied for Gloucester and passed my OPC Assessments. Im guessing you were sucessful in the last Intake Frenchy? Bair did you get 2 emails last friday 1 about your OPC assessments and followed by Application under review email?
 

bair26

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2025
Messages
48
Location
Bath
Applied for Gloucester and passed my OPC Assessments. Im guessing you were sucessful in the last Intake Frenchy? Bair did you get 2 emails last friday 1 about your OPC assessments and followed by Application under review email?
Mine were about 2 weeks ago, 1 to say passed OPC and 1 to say review for shortlist.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Applied for Gloucester and passed my OPC Assessments. Im guessing you were sucessful in the last Intake Frenchy? Bair did you get 2 emails last friday 1 about your OPC assessments and followed by Application under review email?

Had another email today, did you?
 
Last edited:

djapp

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2024
Messages
28
Location
Bromsgrove
Mine were about 2 weeks ago, 1 to say passed OPC and 1 to say review for shortlist.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



Had another email today, did you?
Yes got turned down. I'm going to assume its because I live 1 hour away from Gloucster so its borderline, not to worry hopefully Worcester will come up in the future which is only 20minutes away for me
 

bair26

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2025
Messages
48
Location
Bath
Yes got turned down. I'm going to assume its because I live 1 hour away from Gloucster so its borderline, not to worry hopefully Worcester will come up in the future which is only 20minutes away for me
That’s such bad luck, sorry to hear it mate. Hope Worcester comes up for you soon!
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
I'd shown an interest in the Gloucester Train Manager vacancy but again failed on the SCAAT. It's the only OPC test I haven't passed yet, despite having several attempts at it over the last year or two. The only specific feedback I've received is that during one of the attempts I was too slow on one of the subtest sections, giving me the impression I might have done enough to pass on all sections apart from one.

Not sure if I should therefore try to aim more for speed instead of favouring slower but more accurate?

I usually get maybe around 2/3rds down each page.
 

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
I'd shown an interest in the Gloucester Train Manager vacancy but again failed on the SCAAT. It's the only OPC test I haven't passed yet, despite having several attempts at it over the last year or two. The only specific feedback I've received is that during one of the attempts I was too slow on one of the subtest sections, giving me the impression I might have done enough to pass on all sections apart from one.

Not sure if I should therefore try to aim more for speed instead of favouring slower but more accurate?

I usually get maybe around 2/3rds down each page.
I know your frustration i failed the TFW one 3 times on the bounce so i bought a few books with the dots testing on i think they are designed for drivers did them for a few weeks before doing a SCATT at GWR and passed so may help !
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
I know your frustration i failed the TFW one 3 times on the bounce so i bought a few books with the dots testing on i think they are designed for drivers did them for a few weeks before doing a SCATT at GWR and passed so may help !
Thank you. What books did you buy?
 

Top