• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR - Train Manager / Conductor Recruitment and Discussion

bigmike148

New Member
Joined
12 Oct 2024
Messages
3
Location
Kentish town
I’ve just passed the 4 online assessments, any idea what the next stage is in the recruitment process?
Well apparently I haven’t. I completed the 4 assessments and received an email saying I’ve passed stage one and would hear back soon but now I’ve received an email saying I was unsuccessful as I failed the SCAAT test even though after finishing the test I was invited to do the RAAT test. I thought that if you were invited to do the next test it meant you had passed the one before
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rhodb

New Member
Joined
1 Oct 2025
Messages
3
Location
cardiff
Hi I’ve just been told I’ve passed to next stage of the application. The online assesments on the first group website, can anyone give me clarification on what the assessments entail please, thank you.
 

windnoise69

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2011
Messages
437
Location
Bristol
Hi I’ve just been told I’ve passed to next stage of the application. The online assesments on the first group website, can anyone give me clarification on what the assessments entail please, thank you.
Hi Rhodb

Ticket checking,
Dot test similar to drivers plus a couple of others. They are all available on this forum.

Which depot did you apply for?
 

rhodb

New Member
Joined
1 Oct 2025
Messages
3
Location
cardiff
Hi Rhodb

Ticket checking,
Dot test similar to drivers plus a couple of others. They are all available on this forum.

Which depot did you apply for
Hi there, i applied for Cardiff. I did my opc assessments with tfw, could you link me the tests please I can’t find them.
 

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
Hi there, i applied for Cardiff. I did my opc assessments with tfw, could you link me the tests please I can’t find them.
Hi mate I applied for cardiff as well just did the maths one yesterday waiting to see if short listed for interview !!!
 

edwin1812

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2025
Messages
24
Location
South West
Hi mate I applied for cardiff as well just did the maths one yesterday waiting to see if short listed for interview !!!

I saw you passed the interview last year, you still need to go through the whole process again??

I got an interview on the October in Swindon, any clue that is that a group exceise or 1-1 interview?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hello Family,
just wanted to know if anyone has any idea of what individual and group assessment entails plus interview as I have applied for Conductor for GWR and dealt with all online assessment.
Hi,

Hope you having progress, may I know what stage are you now? Did you got invitation to attend interview or assessment?
 
Last edited:

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
I saw you passed the interview last year, you still need to go through the whole process again??

I got an interview on the October in Swindon, any clue that is that a group exceise or 1-1 interview?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Hi,

Hope you having progress, may I know what stage are you now? Did you got invitation to attend interview or assessment?
Hi both yea put in for Swansea summer ‘24 after the exams tests I was called in for interview no
Assessment centre so was the usual interview tell us a time when u gave good customer service, tell how you dealt with conflict etc ? Passed it all but been in the talent pool over a year with no sign of moment so also put In for cardiff in case come up quicker! I had to do the maths test but the other tests are still in date so I didn’t need to redo them just waiting to see if short listed for interview, guess won’t be till November tho!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hello,

Does anyone know how long the GWR talent pool is for Train Manager?
Wondered when Swansea depot was likely to be recruited for again. TIA
Good luck with that I have been in the Talent pool for Swansea for well
Over a year no moment and they then did another recruitment in January this year so I am guessing there are a load more behind me also waiting!
 

edwin1812

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2025
Messages
24
Location
South West
Hi both yea put in for Swansea summer ‘24 after the exams tests I was called in for interview no
Assessment centre so was the usual interview tell us a time when u gave good customer service, tell how you dealt with conflict etc ? Passed it all but been in the talent pool over a year with no sign of moment so also put In for cardiff in case come up quicker! I had to do the maths test but the other tests are still in date so I didn’t need to redo them just waiting to see if short listed for interview, guess won’t be till November tho!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Good luck with that I have been in the Talent pool for Swansea for well
Over a year no moment and they then did another recruitment in January this year so I am guessing there are a load more behind me also waiting!
Cheers mate, hope you can get the job this time.
Those questions are easy to handle.
Finger crossed
 

Cardiff22

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
.
Hi everyone,

I applied for Cardiff to any idea how long we can expect to wait to hear back after passing all the assessments? Good luck
 

edwin1812

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2025
Messages
24
Location
South West
Hi everyone,

Anyone here had the experience of having interview in Swindon ?
I am super nervous about it.
I just afraid it is a team exercise and I don't know how to prepare it.
 

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
Hi everyone,

I applied for Cardiff to any idea how long we can expect to wait to hear back after passing all the assessments? Good luck
I would say interview will be end of November if short listed good luck

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi everyone,

Anyone here had the experience of having interview in Swindon ?
I am super nervous about it.
I just afraid it is a team exercise and I don't know how to prepare it.
hi interviewed for TM Swansea in October last year wasn’t an assessment centre then just a structure interview! tell us a time you game good customer service? Tell us a time when you had to comply with stricted rules? Tell as a time when you dealt with conflicted? So just have a load of examples ready in you head and get used to replying in a STAR response S Situation T task A action and R result
 

Cardiff22

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
.
I would say interview will be end of November if short listed good luck

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


hi interviewed for TM Swansea in October last year wasn’t an assessment centre then just a structure interview! tell us a time you game good customer service? Tell us a time when you had to comply with stricted rules? Tell as a time when you dealt with conflicted? So just have a load of examples ready in you head and get used to replying in a STAR response S Situation T task A action and R result
Thanks for that mate appreciate it. Has the interview changed now? Will it be an assessment centre or will it be straight interview like you said yours was?
 

D1015

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2024
Messages
125
Location
SWML
Anyone got any information on the recent Worcester TM recruitment please - reveived a holding email saying it was with the hiring managers, but that was about three weeks ago.

Also have applied for their Gloucester TM Talent Pool. Does anyone know the situation with Gloucester, why it's a talent pool please?
 

Cardiff22

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
.
Just had application under review email so probably will hear something soon I assume?
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,283
Anyone got any information on the recent Worcester TM recruitment please - reveived a holding email saying it was with the hiring managers, but that was about three weeks ago.
Railway Recruitment is often very slow. They'll update you ASAP.

Also have applied for their Gloucester TM Talent Pool. Does anyone know the situation with Gloucester, why it's a talent pool please?
They'll be looking to add to the number of people currently in the Talent Pool as people already on the list are given job offers or possibly had too long in the pool.
 

Tigerstripe

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2025
Messages
9
Location
Hampshire
Interviewed for Conductor at Reading - approx 3 months from application to offer. They were relatively timely with emails after assessments etc.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi everyone,

Anyone here had the experience of having interview in Swindon ?
I am super nervous about it.
I just afraid it is a team exercise and I don't know how to prepare it.
Did an assessment centre at Swindon recently. Team exercises + interview. All the people there were very friendly, tasks were straight forward. Plenty of good info of these forums :)
 

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
O well not shortlisted for TM in Cardiff interview, I don’t think I will get a look in else where while still in Talent pool so back to waiting!
 

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
Twice I have tired now as been waiting in pool for so long, first time I reached out to
The recruitment manager hear nothing back! This time didn’t pass the shortlisting ! Guessing they think
It is pointless interviewing me as will probably get the call up for the original post first !

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Yeah neither was I mate gutted oh well we go again!
Sorry to hear mate
 

edwin1812

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2025
Messages
24
Location
South West
Interviewed for Conductor at Reading - approx 3 months from application to offer. They were relatively timely with emails after assessments etc.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Did an assessment centre at Swindon recently. Team exercises + interview. All the people there were very friendly, tasks were straight forward. Plenty of good info of these forums :)

Did you receive an email invitation to an interview or assessment center?
 

Tigerstripe

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2025
Messages
9
Location
Hampshire
Apologies, I got confused. Did my group assessment + interview for Conductor at Reading. Went to Swindon for another GWR role

Yeah I received an email - both parts on the same day: "we are delighted to invite you to the second part of the assessment. This will include both an individual and group exercise. Those applicants who pass these assessments will be invited to stay for a formal interview as the final part of the selection process."
 

Frenchy7119

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2024
Messages
99
Location
south wales
Apologies, I got confused. Did my group assessment + interview for Conductor at Reading. Went to Swindon for another GWR role

Yeah I received an email - both parts on the same day: "we are delighted to invite you to the second part of the assessment. This will include both an individual and group exercise. Those applicants who pass these assessments will be invited to stay for a formal interview as the final part of the selection process."
O I believe that what they used to do as well must have gone back to it !! Well done have you heard if passed? If so job or talent pool?
 

Top