They could always do an add on to an LU order of Tube stock if need be - in the same way that NSE added the Waterloo & City stock order onto a Central line contract if I recall.
Last time we used it, our family of 5 arriving at Shanklin were unable to find a taxi at the station for some time, to take us to our holiday home. The eventual taxi driver quite rightly pointed out that if he picked us up at our holiday home on our return, it would be cheaper for him to take us all the way back to Ryde rather than pay for a taxi to Shanklin station and then on the train, sad but true and to be honest a lot easier with luggage.
Meanwhile, Southern Vectis buses offered a 7 day ticket for use by one or all of us. It was very difficult for me to persuade the rest of the family to favour the train.
I'd agree those are the likeliest changes to the infrastructure by far - I'm a lot less convinced that they will move away from deep tube stock given the need to modify the depot, platform heights, and possibly track and structures if they weigh more. With the service still operating at or near 100% reliability replacing the fleet doesn't seem an urgent requirement anyway.
The railway needs to be more effectively integrated into the larger local public transport system then, and should complement rather than overtly competing with it. A 7-day rover ticket on the buses would ideally include rail travel too and the rail operator could then recieve a proportion of the takings from it.
I'm sure someone will work out a way of sending Class 442s over to the Island in the next few years...![]()
Give it long enough and I do thing Island Line will end up running the units as single cars.
Would the stock now used on the LU Victoria line have fitted? If it would have fitted, why didn't they tag an order onto the order for that for the Island Line?
I believe all LUL deep level, or "tube" lines are of the same loading guage, however the IOW railways, at least in later years always used second hand stock. the 02s were displaced, then their replacements were withdrawn 1927 stock - incidentially regarding train lengths became 4VEC and 3TIS from Vectis, the Roman name for the IOW.
What is needed is for the Island line to purchase newer redundant LUL tube stock as it becomes avaliable
I suspect they couldn't use the ex-Victoria line 67 stock because the cost of converting it from ATO would've been prohibitive hence the need to wait for 72 stock from the Piccadilly or 73 stock from the Bakerloo.
Could future trains simply be one of the modern tram designs, ie flexity?
They could... But at a price which probably won't be economic for the island - plus, isn't the island line third rail ? Has that ever been done on a tram ?
...hence why I'd think they'll be looking at 73TS as I believe the double enders have two compressors fitted in the trailer, so can operate as a 3 car on their own without any modification. The alternative being 72TS that is currently undergoing structural repairs and will need to be made RVAR compliant, one could run 4 car or 3 car units of these...
Do you mean originally?I'm not sure they ever had door controls in the saloons either.
I'm fairly sure this was the period covering the 10 week closure to repair Sandown embankments. It was on their performance poster.None of these issues are insurmountable*at a cost, but with the current fleet still providing an incredibly reliable service - PPM remains in the high 90s and a Guard writing to the local paper mentioned 100% in a recent period - it's hardly a crisis.
Would a Parry People Mover be any use down there?
Would a Parry People Mover be any use down there?
Do you mean originally?
Do any 4-car trains still operate? I moved to Island last year and have yet to see a pair of trains running in tandem.
Incidentally, I can remember reading that the replacement of the 'standard' stock was problematic because all newer tube stock had the control equipment mounted underfloor, with all the issues this entailed with running on a pier. Don't know what happened subsequently.
My heart would like to see some serious investment in this line but my head says that in the absence of this, perhaps it would be best if it was simply put out of its misery?
Would a Parry People Mover be any use down there?