CarterUSM
Established Member
To be honest, I don't think things are totally organised yet. They are supposed to be putting in a booth in the small alcove at the top of the eastern most stairs from the platform to link corridor.
Spot the English poster!
ScotRail doesn't do RPIs, instead they have Ticket Examiners (who are there for both revenue protection and customer service
Are the Intercity platforms gated at Central High Level - I think these are generally the eastern most platforms (1+2), where Peldnolinos tend to arrive/depart?
So Glasgow Central is the latest of our beautiful Victorian stations to be spoilt with ticket barriers.
All of the high level platforms are being gated in September.
I would say that they spoil the stations because they have a significant inpact on the circulating area and make the access to the railway look like a gated fortress.
Ah, but with permanent manual barriers (like at Birmingham New Street) people realise and eventually catch on to the idea. The West Midlands has a bit of a problem now. Perhaps not on the scale of Glasgow, but then I don't know.
Central had manned ticket barriers right up to the advent of BR's "open station" policy I believe.
Indeed it did, IIRC it used to have large thick metal fences and gates at the end of the platforms.
Yes!Spoil? Would you say they spoil stations any more than all the other 21st-century installations in stations, such as information screens, vending machines, fluorescent lighting, overhead wires, Pumpkin Cafés, Pendolinos...
Platform 1 & 2 (plus a couple of others) are not getting automatic ticket barriers as Virgin refused to put money towards the project.
Platform 1 & 2 (plus a couple of others) are not getting automatic ticket barriers as Virgin refused to put money towards the project.
Oh, are they not implementing a long gate-line at central, as at Queen Street (and Waterloo, new KX etc)? Seems an odd plan to do anything other than that.
The platforms aren't really in a straight line (well, 1-8 are, but 9-10 / 11-12 / 13, 14 & 15 are all at different lengths from the main station).
Used the one at Anderston today. Is it supposed to keep your ticket (Bridgeton to Anderston) but when you return (Anderston to Bridgeton) it lets you keep the ticket?
What happens in this instance? I buy a ticket from Bridgeton wanting to go from Bridgeton to Pollokshaws East. I have to get off at Glasgow Central. Does it keep my card then? Thanks.