• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Four central Glasgow stations to be gated

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
To be honest, I don't think things are totally organised yet. They are supposed to be putting in a booth in the small alcove at the top of the eastern most stairs from the platform to link corridor.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MadCommuter

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2010
Messages
736
I have twice exited without needing a ticket, something which was impossible with the manual checks. I won't reveal how, but it wasn't via the lift and I hold a season ticket so wasn't avoiding payment.

What I find annoying is the processing speed when following someone. I've twice been bruised by the gates.
 

68000

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2008
Messages
832
Spot the English poster!

ScotRail doesn't do RPIs, instead they have Ticket Examiners (who are there for both revenue protection and customer service

I would question the CS bit. I arrived at Central station at 17:04 yesterday for the 17:08 service to Newton. Checked the main concourse board and it said Platform 6. Went to platform 6 and the monitors on the platform only showed the 17:18 Neilston service. I asked the ticket examiner manning the gate if the train from Newton left from this platform. He shrugged his shoulder and said 'I have no idea, you will have to go back and check the board'. I couldn't quite make out if there were two 314s in the platform so I asked him, response 'no idea'.

Customer service indeed!
 
Last edited:
Joined
12 Jun 2011
Messages
85
Here's a photo of one set of barries, off to the left of the pillar is the disabled gate, ill try get a better one if i'm in town tomorrow

6013680355_363346040b_z.jpg
 

David Goddard

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
1,515
Location
Ely
So Glasgow Central is the latest of our beautiful Victorian stations to be spoilt with ticket barriers. We have seen this at all of the major London Termini, Bristol Temple Meads, Newcastle Central and more. I continue to be thankfully that the application to install them at York was refused.
 

bengolding

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
700
Location
Wentworth, Surrey
Are the Intercity platforms gated at Central High Level - I think these are generally the eastern most platforms (1+2), where Peldnolinos tend to arrive/depart?
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Are the Intercity platforms gated at Central High Level - I think these are generally the eastern most platforms (1+2), where Peldnolinos tend to arrive/depart?

The 0539 EUS-GLC (Monday-Friday) uses p9!

All of the high level platforms are being gated in September.
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
So Glasgow Central is the latest of our beautiful Victorian stations to be spoilt with ticket barriers.

Spoil? Would you say they spoil stations any more than all the other 21st-century installations in stations, such as information screens, vending machines, fluorescent lighting, overhead wires, Pumpkin Cafés, Pendolinos...
 

David Goddard

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
1,515
Location
Ely
I would say that they spoil the stations because they have a significant inpact on the circulating area and make the access to the railway look like a gated fortress.
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
All of the high level platforms are being gated in September.

I was under the impression 1 and 2 were not being gated?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I would say that they spoil the stations because they have a significant inpact on the circulating area and make the access to the railway look like a gated fortress.

Central had manned ticket barriers right up to the advent of BR's "open station" policy I believe.
 

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Joined
12 Jul 2011
Messages
1,290
Ah, but with permanent manual barriers (like at Birmingham New Street) people realise and eventually catch on to the idea. The West Midlands has a bit of a problem now. Perhaps not on the scale of Glasgow, but then I don't know.

The only access to the platforms that does not have a barrier (manual or otherwise) at BHM is the lifts. And no...I've never seen a LM RPI there (Moor Street is more likely to have a RPI or 10 (of Chilterns finest!))
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Spoil? Would you say they spoil stations any more than all the other 21st-century installations in stations, such as information screens, vending machines, fluorescent lighting, overhead wires, Pumpkin Cafés, Pendolinos...
Yes!
+ 1

but I'm so pleased that those curved wooden profiles to the 1st floor rooms all reman intact
 

apestyler

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2007
Messages
61
Platform 1 & 2 (plus a couple of others) are not getting automatic ticket barriers as Virgin refused to put money towards the project.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Platform 1 & 2 (plus a couple of others) are not getting automatic ticket barriers as Virgin refused to put money towards the project.

Virgin seemed to be operating a manual barrier on 1&2 when I was there yesterday.
 

David Goddard

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
1,515
Location
Ely
Lets hope that Virgin's services are all able to be routed into 1 or 2, so that their passengers are not inconvenienced.

If any others are to be left ungated then 9&10 are probably the most appropriate.
 

DarkestDreams

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2011
Messages
58
Location
London
Oh, are they not implementing a long gate-line at central, as at Queen Street (and Waterloo, new KX etc)? Seems an odd plan to do anything other than that.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Oh, are they not implementing a long gate-line at central, as at Queen Street (and Waterloo, new KX etc)? Seems an odd plan to do anything other than that.

The platforms aren't really in a straight line (well, 1-8 are, but 9-10 / 11-12 / 13, 14 & 15 are all at different lengths from the main station).
 

DarkestDreams

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2011
Messages
58
Location
London
The platforms aren't really in a straight line (well, 1-8 are, but 9-10 / 11-12 / 13, 14 & 15 are all at different lengths from the main station).

I meant between 1 and 8; but the others could be gated in groups (apart from 9-10) if I remember the layout correctly.
 

trei2k

Member
Joined
25 May 2010
Messages
234
What will happen with the cycle racks? Will these be moved to a different area?
 

bAzTNM

Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
342
Used the one at Anderston today. Is it supposed to keep your ticket (Bridgeton to Anderston) but when you return (Anderston to Bridgeton) it lets you keep the ticket?
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Used the one at Anderston today. Is it supposed to keep your ticket (Bridgeton to Anderston) but when you return (Anderston to Bridgeton) it lets you keep the ticket?

Yes... Why would a ticket barrier swallow your return ticket from that station? :|
 

bAzTNM

Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
342
Don't know. I've hardly used those ticket machines, they make me incredibly nervous for some reason.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Ticket barriers will normally swallow the ticket at the end of your journey- if they swallowed it at the start there would be trouble with subsequent onboard checks!
 

bAzTNM

Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
342
What happens in this instance? I buy a ticket from Bridgeton wanting to go from Bridgeton to Pollokshaws East. I have to get off at Glasgow Central. Does it keep my card then? Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top