• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Direct Rail Services Ltd Passenger Trains Test Runs (28th- 30th December 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
Any kind of no-heat loco won't go down well at this time of year.
 

junglejames

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
2,069
Maybe in the summer

Actually, I reckon a 66 will go down well compared to a 47!

It seems as though if you like 37s, you must also hate 47s. An unwritten rule I think.

Luckily I never took any notice of these unwritten rules:lol:
 

43167

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2010
Messages
1,021
Location
Keighley
Actually, I reckon a 66 will go down well compared to a 47!

It seems as though if you like 37s, you must also hate 47s. An unwritten rule I think.

Luckily I never took any notice of these unwritten rules:lol:

Rules I throw right out the window. I also like both.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Actually, I reckon a 66 will go down well compared to a 47!

It seems as though if you like 37s, you must also hate 47s. An unwritten rule I think.

Luckily I never took any notice of these unwritten rules:lol:

I couldn't possibly comment, as I have never met anyone who likes 47s ;)

The reality of 47 Hatred is that it has little or nothing to do with 37s, and everything to do with the fact that if you are above a certain age (I would say about 35) you have had a considerable amount of your youth blighted by duffs, and are therefore by this stage quite oblivious to any form of reason when it comes to these [once] ubiquitous and frustrating machines.
 

12CSVT

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
2,611
Putting a different perspective on the class 37 / class 47 debate.

A few years ago Locomaster Profiles brought out a video (later re-released on DVD) titled 'Toton - The Works' which looked behind the scenes of Toton depot. One of the depot managers was interviewed in which he gave the pros & cons of each class of loco based at Toton at the time, from a fitter's perspective (ie class 08, 31, 37, 47, 56, 58, 60). He didn't have a good word to say about the 47s !
 

junglejames

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
2,069
Putting a different perspective on the class 37 / class 47 debate.

A few years ago Locomaster Profiles brought out a video (later re-released on DVD) titled 'Toton - The Works' which looked behind the scenes of Toton depot. One of the depot managers was interviewed in which he gave the pros & cons of each class of loco based at Toton at the time, from a fitter's perspective (ie class 08, 31, 37, 47, 56, 58, 60). He didn't have a good word to say about the 47s !

What about 56s and 58s? Any fitter who rates them higher, obviously isnt talking as a fitter.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I couldn't possibly comment, as I have never met anyone who likes 47s ;)

The reality of 47 Hatred is that it has little or nothing to do with 37s, and everything to do with the fact that if you are above a certain age (I would say about 35) you have had a considerable amount of your youth blighted by duffs, and are therefore by this stage quite oblivious to any form of reason when it comes to these [once] ubiquitous and frustrating machines.

Oh i know why most dont like them. I just find the Brush/ EE rivalry quite funny, and it does seem as though you arent meant to like both.

Also funny how another populus class, the 37s themselves, arent hated like the 47s.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Also funny how another populus class, the 37s themselves, arent hated like the 47s.

I guess it's because 37s weren't common on passenger workings outside Scotland in the 1980s, when most of the rivalries on display here were at their most intense.

Quite where 31s fit into the Brush/EE rivalry thing I'm not sure.......
 

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
Quite where 31s fit into the Brush/EE rivalry thing I'm not sure.......

Very slowly, I'd imagine.



And that's as far as I'm going into pointless basher class rivalries
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
True. 31s were probably the most maligned EE engined loco back in the day.

Anyway, what powered the Glo-Ex today, majestic EE or dull as ditchwater Sulzer?
 

junglejames

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
2,069
I guess it's because 37s weren't common on passenger workings outside Scotland in the 1980s, when most of the rivalries on display here were at their most intense.

Quite where 31s fit into the Brush/EE rivalry thing I'm not sure.......

Makes sense.
Sounds a bit fickle to me.

As for 31s. Mainly ignored, because when it came to the Brush/ EE rivalry, it was really only a 37/ 47 rivalry. Well perhaps 50s to an extent as well, although I find that 50s and Deltics had there own seperate followings. EE basically meant 37, and Brush meant 47.
Those like 4SRKT that had trips supposedly ruined by 47s back in the day, automatically turned to be a 37/ EE man.
EE/ 37 followers are also allowed to like 67s/ GMs, as 67s were seen as the replacement for 47s. I expect EE followers are possibly allowed to like 57s on the QT as well!

Dont think im too far wide of the mark am I?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
True. 31s were probably the most maligned EE engined loco back in the day.

Anyway, what powered the Glo-Ex today, majestic EE or dull as ditchwater Sulzer?

EE- Bit of metal with an engine inside, making a good sound
Sulzer- Bit of metal with an engine inside, making a good sound.

Cant quite work how one is majestic and one dull;)
 
Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I think you are slightly wide of the mark because the rivalry wasn't really Brush/EE but Sulzer/EE. Many of the trips I had 'supposedly' ruined were for other Sulzers such as 26s/27s rather than EE stuff. The use of 'supposedly' is a but weird here. If someone has gone somewhere specifically and for no other reason than to get a type of traction, and something else turns up, that *will* ruin the day. The fact that that 'something else' was almost always a 47 leads to its obvious conclusion. Your use of 'supposedly' seems to suggest you think that everyone should just share your tastes and get on with it.

You talk of fickle etc, yet when people say "I like Liverpool but I hate Everton" I think:

Liverpool: bunch of overpaid tools with the social graces of retarded baboons, moderately good at football.
Everton: bunch of overpaid tools with the social graces of retarded baboons, moderately good at football.

yet, somehow this rivalry is considered a good thing. Not by me, but I don't have a passion for football, so don't get it. I wouldn't therefore criticise other people's passions or tastes simply because I don't share them myself.
 
Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Joined
30 Apr 2010
Messages
6,149
Location
Lancashire
What's the chance of some crank at DRS fixing a pair of 20/3s onto the train with a 37/4 for ETH?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

junglejames

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
2,069
I think you are slightly wide of the mark because the rivalry wasn't really Brush/EE but Sulzer/EE. Many of the trips I had 'supposedly' ruined were for other Sulzers such as 26s/27s rather than EE stuff. The use of 'supposedly' is a but weird here. If someone has gone somewhere specifically and for no other reason than to get a type of traction, and something else turns up, that *will* ruin the day. The fact that that 'something else' was almost always a 47 leads to its obvious conclusion. Your use of 'supposedly' seems to suggest you think that everyone should just share your tastes and get on with it.

You talk of fickle etc, yet when people say "I like Liverpool but I hate Everton" I think:

Liverpool: bunch of overpaid tools with the social graces of retarded baboons, moderately good at football.
Everton: bunch of overpaid tools with the social graces of retarded baboons, moderately good at football.

yet, somehow this rivalry is considered a good thing. Not by me, but I don't have a passion for football, so don't get it. I wouldn't therefore criticise other people's passions or tastes simply because I don't share them myself.

Youve taken me a bit too literally. The word supposedly was meant sarcastically. You are seeing me as an arsehole that I am not. Apologies for the confusion though.
As for the Sulzer/ EE rivalry. Not too far off from what I said still. It was called a Sulzer/ EE rivalry, but really it was a 37/47 rivalry. 50s/ 55s at times seemed seperate from it.

As for Everton/ Liverpool. Spot on there. No difference between them:lol:
For someone that doesnt follow football, you know an awful lot:D

My comment about being fickle was again sarcastic, but was aimed at the fact that if you took trains as a whole, 37s aren't/ weren't that much less common than 47s. Admittedly it was probably a bad choice of word though.

You take the mick about 47s, so I also take the mick. Hence the comment about 37s and 47s being the same. Lumps of metal with an engine inside.

Dont take my comments on this subject seriously. I always accept other peoples opinions. No problem at all with your prefered choice of traction. We cant all have good taste:lol:
 

Crimson_Quiff

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
406
Location
Mount Dubious
What's the chance of some crank at DRS fixing a pair of 20/3s onto the train with a 37/4 for ETH?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't see that happening, some how! Why use 3 locos on a train when you can just use one that provides both the forward motion and electric supply to the train? Plus they have no issues with 'run round' so using a pair of 20s and a 37 would be pointless, really.
 

Whistler40145

Established Member
Joined
30 Apr 2010
Messages
6,149
Location
Lancashire
1 I know it's outrageous & probably won't happen.

2 If it did happen, no run round of locos would be required, the 20s could work the outward journey & the 37 could work the return journey.

I am only winding up, don't take it seriously!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

bse35

Member
Joined
2 May 2010
Messages
90
planing a trip this week, not particularly fussed over 47/37 but what is on the glow-ex this week?
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Any gen yet on whether this trial has been deemed a success?
 

kevsmiththai

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2010
Messages
27
Location
Lake district
This is the last week of the trial and it will not be running next week. make the most of it while you can.
And yes it is 37 423 on it today
KEV
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Sure I heard it would be a 12 week consultation, according to one of the Northern guards.
 

bse35

Member
Joined
2 May 2010
Messages
90
37423 just headed north through ravenglass with the anglian coaching stock. anyone know the reason for this?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top