75A
Established Member
I thought that only happened to me.Microwave ovens that deliberately seem to stop with the handle of the cup, mug or jug at the rear, pointing away from you.
I thought that only happened to me.Microwave ovens that deliberately seem to stop with the handle of the cup, mug or jug at the rear, pointing away from you.
Quite right. The correct word is "cludgie"2) Use of the word 'bog' for a toilet.
I'm fortunate that I don't use jugs, mugs or similar in my microwave, so it's thankfully not a problem for me
I do have additions for the list though:
1) Use of the word 'grub' for food.
2) Use of the word 'bog' for a toilet.
I feel the eyes turning in their sockets whenever I hear or read someone using such slang!
Dunny in our house.Quite right. The correct word is "cludgie"![]()
Bash Street Kids now there's a name from the past.I use grub and bog regularly.
I do often re-read my collection of Bash Street Kids annuals though so maybe that affects my vocab.![]()
1) Use of the word 'grub' for food.
2) Use of the word 'bog' for a toilet.
The Beano 1956.Nah, it's quite new. Only named in 2014![]()
Cloakroom is the worst due to it's ambiguity, at least with the others the meaning is clear.I don’t like the various euphemisms that seem to have crept in from the USA: you rest in a restroom, you bath in a bathroom, the little girls’/boys’ room is for kids, and why do you want to examine the fuse box in the smallest room. Just ask quietly.
You could be misconstrued as to enquiring of the whereabouts of the Duke of York.I am not worried what you words you use as long as they are not too vulgar for the company: don’t say, “Where’s the s***house“, at a royal garden party. (Royal wee is the correct term.)
Surely he'd be in the sauna?You could be misconstrued as to enquiring of the whereabouts of the Duke of York.![]()
Or Pizza Express in Woking.Surely he'd be in the sauna?![]()
Isn't there the "common / idiomatic usage" thing? -- expression with indelicate connotations gets -- if it's an apt and appealing one anyway -- so widely used, and appreciated, that in respect of that particular expression only: the indelicacy gets forgiven / overlooked / "cancelled", and (only in that context) respectable people happily use the word. Re the above: the dating-from-way-back expression to describe a tough and robustly-made gentleman -- if I may dare the full wording, "built like a brick ****house" -- is an example of it: at any rate, in the discourse of Britons, and Australians -- I don't know about the Yanks.While we are on about this kind of thing, i was watching some pro-wrestling from Australia yesterday and one of the wrestlers was called The Brick S***house.
When women police constables achieved theoretical equity in the Met Police a male sergeant was reported in a newspaper as saying ''when I get a call on a Saturday night about a brawl in the Black Cap at Camden Town, I want a couple of 22 stone brick s***houses to attend''.While we are on about this kind of thing, i was watching some pro-wrestling from Australia yesterday and one of the wrestlers was called The Brick S***house.
Date American format...American date format.
I got it!Date American format...
Nobody's going to get that, are they?
Anyhow, seconded.
I got it!
Thirded aswell.
I'll make it fourth'd!Date American format...
Nobody's going to get that, are they?
Anyhow, seconded.
Fifth-ed!Date American format...
Nobody's going to get that, are they?
Anyhow, seconded.
I'll second that - it also annoys me when the forum turns : shock: (which I presume was an old smiley) intoFifth-ed!
On the other hand, perhaps we should just be grateful that Americans don't also have digital clocks that use a mm:hh: ss format.
Can we also ban the forum software for thinking I was trying to place asmiley?
![]()
That wouldn't be so bad if it was the correct smiley!I'll second that - it also annoys me when the forum turns : shock: (which I presume was an old smiley) intohock: in old posts.