• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Supermarkets distributing different variations of the same product across multiple locations e.g my local Tesco where the value and finest ham are on one aisle, their mid range ham (in price and quality) is in the deli fridges at he back of the store, and the Italian hams are on another aisle.

This particular feature of the general food scene, would appear to be one in which supermarkets tend to be weird. It mildly annoys me that my local Sainsburys has a section labelled "charcuterie": which is in fact dedicated to pretty humdrum and thoroughly British, packeted ham and related ditto, e.g. tongue. Actual "exotic and interesting" cooked meats, sausage, etc., are at a case-end a couple of corners away in the store.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
The phrase "the other half"
I cannot stand that. The use of that phrase should be punishable by 5 years living in Stevenage
It's better than "The wife", "SWMBO" or "DH"
Or, "Her indoors."
I just refer to her as ‘the Boss’. Covers all bases…..
I usually refer to Mrs 32475 by her proper name or as my Better Half or very occasionally as the Memsahib
''The better half'' too. If you're already living in Stevenage, then using the term should preclude you from ever being allowed to leave. :lol:
I hadn't realised how much all these highly original and clever nicknames for one's spouse annoyed me, until now...

Stevenage is too good for them! ;)
 

Lucan

Established Member
Joined
21 Feb 2018
Messages
1,262
Location
Wales
Supermarkets distributing different variations of the same product across multiple locations
The layout is optimised for impulse buying. I expect they pay marketing consultants £millions for these schemes. By having ham in three different places it prompts people three times over to buy it, or wears down their resistance to buying it. Bottles of wine are particularly liable to be placed everywhere as well as the wine aisle itself.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
The layout is optimised for impulse buying. I expect they pay marketing consultants £millions for these schemes. By having ham in three different places it prompts people three times over to buy it, or wears down their resistance to buying it. Bottles of wine are particularly liable to be placed everywhere as well as the wine aisle itself.

That tactic completely failed in my case as I wasn't aware their mid range ham was in the deli fridges until I happened to spot it a few weeks ago. I assumed they'd just dropped it from their range when it disappeared from it's old spot next to the value (poor quality) and finest (ridiculously overpriced) ham a few years ago so switched to buying Asda ham instead.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,737
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
On a retail "customer marketing" theme, I hereby ban the purchase algorithm used in Nectar loyalty vouchers.

Many years of using my Nectar card, all the tills' printers give me are vouchers.for travel money, pet insurance and "save £18 on your first online shop". I have no need for any of those.

Conversely, I've made good use of literally dozens of other vouchers, left by other shoppers - money off and relevant bonus points. Yet I have never received one.
 
Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
That tactic completely failed in my case as I wasn't aware their mid range ham was in the deli fridges until I happened to spot it a few weeks ago. I assumed they'd just dropped it from their range when it disappeared from it's old spot next to the value (poor quality) and finest (ridiculously overpriced) ham a few years ago so switched to buying Asda ham instead.
I'm sure that we can all quote anecdotal evidence that sales techniques didn't work for them, but those quotes are just that, - random isolated incidents. Clearly for decades now, retailers have used marketing techniques very successfully, and they can easily tolerate refusenics whilst profiting from the additional sales overall.
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
How the BBC always searches for ‘negative’ stories which in reality aren’t particularly negative at all.

From the BBC website this morning:
‘BBC analysis of National Rail data also shows that almost half of the trains that ran across Britain were at least one minute late.’

Two things here. I’m sure most rail users would be overjoyed if their train was just one minute late. Secondly, if almost half were at least one minute late, then more than half were on time.
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
May have been mentioned before but why is everything a crisis according to the media? We now have the concrete crisis; it's not a crisis. It probably will prove expensive and inconvenience a number of people but it isn't a crisis.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
May have been mentioned before but why is everything a crisis according to the media? We now have the concrete crisis; it's not a crisis. It probably will prove expensive and inconvenience a number of people but it isn't a crisis.

Because words such as crisis are more likely to garner views from the gullible than more accurate ones such as problem. Clickbait, in other words.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
On a retail "customer marketing" theme, I hereby ban the purchase algorithm used in Nectar loyalty vouchers.

Many years of using my Nectar card, all the tills' printers give me are vouchers.for travel money, pet insurance and "save £18 on your first online shop". I have no need for any of those.

Conversely, I've made good use of literally dozens of other vouchers, left by other shoppers - money off and relevant bonus points. Yet I have never received one.

I know what you mean, I get pet insurance ones and credit card ones often but the silly one is when it prints off the one telling you some of the products you buy are on offer/price-matched to Aldi. Yes, I'm very aware of that, I've just bought them!

The bonus points thing in the Nectar app is good though, I've earnt many thousands of points through those. The points offers have influenced my shopping more than a few times, but given Sainsburys is one of my favourite places to shop in Hereford, that's not too bad.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
On a retail "customer marketing" theme, I hereby ban the purchase algorithm used in Nectar loyalty vouchers.

Many years of using my Nectar card, all the tills' printers give me are vouchers.for travel money, pet insurance and "save £18 on your first online shop". I have no need for any of those.

Conversely, I've made good use of literally dozens of other vouchers, left by other shoppers - money off and relevant bonus points. Yet I have never received one.
But you cannot use those vouchers because they have someone else's Nectar card number printed on them, so you'll get no benefit. I proved (to myself anyway) the sexism rife in the system by using my wife's Nectar card occasionally in place of my own, and the riches offered knew no end (well, three half decent discount vouchers and 5p per litre off fuel :smile:). It explains the times I'm behind a woman in the queue who's buying much the same sort and quantity of stuff as me who gets printed vouchers erupting like a fruit machine win.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
But you cannot use those vouchers because they have someone else's Nectar card number printed on them, so you'll get no benefit. I proved (to myself anyway) the sexism rife in the system by using my wife's Nectar card occasionally in place of my own, and the riches offered knew no end (well, three half decent discount vouchers and 5p per litre off fuel :smile:). It explains the times I'm behind a woman in the queue who's buying much the same sort and quantity of stuff as me who gets printed vouchers erupting like a fruit machine win.
If you can't beat them, join them, (as in get a nectar card with a woman's name), they are hardly likely to make a fuss if the difference in the offers is so obvious.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,737
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
But you cannot use those vouchers because they have someone else's Nectar card number printed on them
15 years and about 60 such vouchers - not a single one has been rejected by a cashier or a self-service till.

The printed barcode is merely the voucher's "redemption" data so the till knows what the voicher is (e.g. points / money off).
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,686
Location
Solihull
May have been mentioned before but why is everything a crisis according to the media? We now have the concrete crisis; it's not a crisis. It probably will prove expensive and inconvenience a number of people but it isn't a crisis.
I dunno, for once this might indeed be a crisis if hundreds of schools and other public buildings are affected and may have to be closed. Though i take your point in general.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,420
Location
Yorks
Perhaps they'll have to bring back those wooden mobile classrooms we had in the 80's where some of my more unruly colleagues used to kick holes in the walls !
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
15 years and about 60 such vouchers - not a single one has been rejected by a cashier or a self-service till.

The printed barcode is merely the voucher's "redemption" data so the till knows what the voicher is (e.g. points / money off).
I must have been very unlucky then when I've tried to use them a time or two. In fact, even some of the kosher vouchers I've had refused to be recognised, to my chagrin, and I was told to go and queue at Customer Services. I just removed the offending item from my bill and shop. Also, occasionally get a voucher offering discount e.g. West Country butter even though the store no longer stocks it.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
I must have been very unlucky then when I've tried to use them a time or two. In fact, even some of the kosher vouchers I've had refused to be recognised, to my chagrin, and I was told to go and queue at Customer Services. I just removed the offending item from my bill and shop. Also, occasionally get a voucher offering discount e.g. West Country butter even though the store no longer stocks it.

You ought to have demanded a reduction on whatever butter you bought. After all, if it is in the West Country it is, by definition, West Country butter.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
15 years and about 60 such vouchers - not a single one has been rejected by a cashier or a self-service till.

The printed barcode is merely the voucher's "redemption" data so the till knows what the voicher is (e.g. points / money off).

My brother tried it once, even asked a Sainsburys colleague if it was OK and sure enough it worked. It was a nice few points for me, I think it was a triple points when spending a certain amount of money voucher.

That sort of voucher is certainly not too common now, used to get them all the time. To be fair though, if I've bought something that had no points offers on it, in the app they'll offer a bonus lucky dip kind of thing and sometimes it's just 5 points, but I often get 20 in such an offer. It may not be much, but it all helps :)
 

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,354
Location
University of Birmingham
Perhaps they'll have to bring back those wooden mobile classrooms we had in the 80's where some of my more unruly colleagues used to kick holes in the walls !
There are still some of these at the middle school I went to...

The ones at my high school were replaced a year or two ago by large new building
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,420
Location
Yorks
There are still some of these at the middle school I went to...

The ones at my high school were replaced a year or two ago by large new building

They were obviously more sturdy than I imagined.

Presumably, some of them will now outlast the buildings that were supposed to replace them !
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Spaghetti, you struggle to get it into the pan to cook it, serving it up is like trying to juggle eels and once on the plate you have the difficulty of actually eating the stuff.
And ask yourself how many spaghetti trees have to be harvested to achieve that too. ;)
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,686
Location
Solihull
Spaghetti, you struggle to get it into the pan to cook it, serving it up is like trying to juggle eels and once on the plate you have the difficulty of actually eating the stuff.
Break it in half when you put it in the pan. I realise this is off-message in pasta world but i find it works really well.

Then when cooked put the spaghetti in the pan with the sauce to mix it up before serving, easier than mixing it on the plate.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Make sure the water is boiling and then stick as much spaghetti in as you can: it will soften quickly and you can push more in bit by bit until it is all curled around under the water. It is always worth tipping the sauce over the spaghetti or vice-versa while the sauce finishes its cooking.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,170
Location
Wilmslow
Break it in half when you put it in the pan. I realise this is off-message in pasta world but i find it works really well.
When I was younger my parents went on holiday and my dad's mother was roped in to look after us during their absence.
I realise now, which I didn't understand then, that she was a terrible cook (I do recall her pink chicken but didn't realise at the time how close she was to killing us all with it).
My mother, knowing this, left her some "simple" things to cook, one of which was spaghetti bolognese or similar in the freezer.
My granny had to cook spaghetti, probably for the first time in her life, and was baffled by its length and broke it into pieces first.
My mum said that on their return she spent days discovering shards of uncooked spaghetti pieces in various cracks and crevices in the kitchen.
The good thing is that none of us died at the hands of my granny.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,686
Location
Solihull
When I was younger my parents went on holiday and my dad's mother was roped in to look after us during their absence.
I realise now, which I didn't understand then, that she was a terrible cook (I do recall her pink chicken but didn't realise at the time how close she was to killing us all with it).
My mother, knowing this, left her some "simple" things to cook, one of which was spaghetti bolognese or similar in the freezer.
My granny had to cook spaghetti, probably for the first time in her life, and was baffled by its length and broke it into pieces first.
My mum said that on their return she spent days discovering shards of uncooked spaghetti pieces in various cracks and crevices in the kitchen.
The good thing is that none of us died at the hands of my granny.
Well breaking it over the pan rather than throwing it around the kitchen helps.
 

Top