• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
I'm fortunate that I don't use jugs, mugs or similar in my microwave, so it's thankfully not a problem for me :)

I do have additions for the list though:

1) Use of the word 'grub' for food.

2) Use of the word 'bog' for a toilet.

I feel the eyes turning in their sockets whenever I hear or read someone using such slang!
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
I'm fortunate that I don't use jugs, mugs or similar in my microwave, so it's thankfully not a problem for me :)

I do have additions for the list though:

1) Use of the word 'grub' for food.

2) Use of the word 'bog' for a toilet.

I feel the eyes turning in their sockets whenever I hear or read someone using such slang!

(My bolding) -- in my perception, the term "grub" with this meaning, is something decidedly old-fashioned: was, many decades ago, current and much-used slang -- but rarely met with nowadays; and when one comes upon it, having a very "old-timey" feel to it. (Doesn't annoy me -- just has for me, a "P.G. Wodehouse" kind of aura.)

A friend of mine, quite often comes across -- to me, anyway -- as, in his vocabulary, a throwback to a century-and-more ago. Among other verbal anachronisms: he favours using "grub" as synonym for food; also "clobber", ditto for clothes -- I recognise "clobber" as current-ish slang for general junk-and-impedimenta; but its use re clothing, feels to me positively Edwardian. Friend is aware of this oddity of his: ascribes it at least to some extent, to his father (one of course tends to get a lot of one's speech-type ways, from one's parents) having been an old-before-his-time, backward-looking, and rather sour and misanthropic character; this having had some reflection in his use of language.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Pretty sure the last place I encountered "grub" being used was in the pages of The Beano, which would place it well over thirty years ago.

Speaking of food, can we ban:
(a) Supermarket staff who stick reduced labels over cooking or nutritional information.
(b) Supermarket staff who don't understand how barcodes work, so stick a label over a barcode on reduced items which blocks it horizontally rather than vertically. The tills read the lines not the numbers, so you need to block some of the bars from top to bottom, not all of the bars from left to right.
 
Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,688
Location
Solihull
I use grub and bog regularly.

I do often re-read my collection of Bash Street Kids annuals though so maybe that affects my vocab. :lol:
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
I am not worried what you words you use as long as they are not too vulgar for the company: don’t say, “Where’s the s***house“, at a royal garden party. (Royal wee is the correct term.) However, I don’t like the various euphemisms that seem to have crept in from the USA: you rest in a restroom, you bath in a bathroom, the little girls’/boys’ room is for kids, and why do you want to examine the fuse box in the smallest room. Just ask quietly.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
I don’t like the various euphemisms that seem to have crept in from the USA: you rest in a restroom, you bath in a bathroom, the little girls’/boys’ room is for kids, and why do you want to examine the fuse box in the smallest room. Just ask quietly.
Cloakroom is the worst due to it's ambiguity, at least with the others the meaning is clear.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
I am not worried what you words you use as long as they are not too vulgar for the company: don’t say, “Where’s the s***house“, at a royal garden party. (Royal wee is the correct term.)
You could be misconstrued as to enquiring of the whereabouts of the Duke of York. :lol:
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,688
Location
Solihull
While we are on about this kind of thing, i was watching some pro-wrestling from Australia yesterday and one of the wrestlers was called The Brick S***house.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
While we are on about this kind of thing, i was watching some pro-wrestling from Australia yesterday and one of the wrestlers was called The Brick S***house.
Isn't there the "common / idiomatic usage" thing? -- expression with indelicate connotations gets -- if it's an apt and appealing one anyway -- so widely used, and appreciated, that in respect of that particular expression only: the indelicacy gets forgiven / overlooked / "cancelled", and (only in that context) respectable people happily use the word. Re the above: the dating-from-way-back expression to describe a tough and robustly-made gentleman -- if I may dare the full wording, "built like a brick ****house" -- is an example of it: at any rate, in the discourse of Britons, and Australians -- I don't know about the Yanks.

ETA: automatically censored -- well, I tried.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
While we are on about this kind of thing, i was watching some pro-wrestling from Australia yesterday and one of the wrestlers was called The Brick S***house.
When women police constables achieved theoretical equity in the Met Police a male sergeant was reported in a newspaper as saying ''when I get a call on a Saturday night about a brawl in the Black Cap at Camden Town, I want a couple of 22 stone brick s***houses to attend''.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,171
Location
Wilmslow
Televisions, like my previous one, which I broke although not deliberately, which leave a huge orange blob/symbol on the screen when you press the "mute" button to turn the sound off. Although they are out of synchronisation, I still prefer to watch cricket with the radio commentary playing instead of the TV sound. I was very pleased with my replacement TV that it no longer does this (the blob disappears after a few seconds).
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I would ban annoying adverts on the radio. A group of reviewers would review the adverts prior to them potentially going out and decided if they are annoying or not Any that are annoying would be banned.

I find myself turning off LBC because of them. Then because I'm dyslexic and live in the moment, I forget to switch LBC back on when I think the ads are over.

I don't do this all the time as not every advert is annoying but many of them are.

I doubt LBC want their listeners switching off.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Date American format...
Nobody's going to get that, are they?


Anyhow, seconded.
Fifth-ed!

On the other hand, perhaps we should just be grateful that Americans don't also have digital clocks that use a mm:hh: ss format.

Can we also ban the forum software for thinking I was trying to place a :s smiley? ;)
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,482
Location
Exile or exile
Fifth-ed!

On the other hand, perhaps we should just be grateful that Americans don't also have digital clocks that use a mm:hh: ss format.

Can we also ban the forum software for thinking I was trying to place a :s smiley? ;)
I'll second that - it also annoys me when the forum turns : shock: (which I presume was an old smiley) into :shock: in old posts.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I'll second that - it also annoys me when the forum turns : shock: (which I presume was an old smiley) into :shock: in old posts.
That wouldn't be so bad if it was the correct smiley!

Also why do we call them "smileys" when only a minority of them are actually smiling? :rolleyes:
 

Top