• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
How about car adverts generally ! (Actually no, they're preferable to the online gambling and erectile dysfunction ones !).

Regarding the erectile dysfunction ads, I recently saw the Numan one where near the end a chainsaw appears with a voice over "for when it stops working" or words more or less to that effect.

It does not fill me with much confidence if the chainsaw is implying to dismember yourself when a man's equipment does not function so well compared with 20 to 30 years previously.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,425
Location
Yorks
Regarding the erectile dysfunction ads, I recently saw the Numan one where near the end a chainsaw appears with a voice over "for when it stops working" or words more or less to that effect.

It does not fill me with much confidence if the chainsaw is implying to dismember yourself when a man's equipment does not function so well compared with 20 to 30 years previously.
Yes, I've read about that sort of thing in the news !
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,836
The condiment police

Why should it be mustard on beef, apple sauce on pork, cranberry sauce with turkey? The correct answer is mint sauce - and lots of it - with everything
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,425
Location
Yorks
The condiment police

Why should it be mustard on beef, apple sauce on pork, cranberry sauce with turkey? The correct answer is mint sauce - and lots of it - with everything

Absolutely.

I frequently have mint sauce, horseradish sauce and mustard on the same meal (you need it to make vegetables edible !)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
The condiment police

Why should it be mustard on beef, apple sauce on pork, cranberry sauce with turkey? The correct answer is mint sauce - and lots of it - with everything

I have to agree here, in fact I was talking about apple sauce with a friend who's never had it before when we were talking about Saturday's meals. I still want some apple sauce right now! Mint sauce, YES! I love a good bit of mint sauce, I don't buy it too often and I don't know why.

A nice big plate of vegetables, gravy and mint sauce, ooh yes that sounds far more appealing than the sandwich I'm currently having!

All these people who only have their condiments with certain foods, they can go away for sure. I don't think they'd have liked my sliced beetroot sandwich I had the other day, which I know will sound weird but honestly, it was really nice!

Absolutely.

I frequently have mint sauce, horseradish sauce and mustard on the same meal (you need it to make vegetables edible !)

I sometimes have veg with no seasoning! It's not very exciting, granted!
 

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,021
Location
here to eternity
The condiment police

Why should it be mustard on beef, apple sauce on pork, cranberry sauce with turkey? The correct answer is mint sauce - and lots of it - with everything

On a similar theme, white wine with poultry. I love some poultry washed down with red wine!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
On a similar theme, white wine with poultry. I love some poultry washed down with red wine!

That's a thing? I used to enjoy red wine with whatever I fancied, a good Australian shiraz was fantastic on its own!

I never really got all this 'food pairing' stuff, good food tastes great without needing to be expertly matched with a particular type of drink, and vice versa.

Mind you, my taste in food can be weird. The other day, I made a sliced beetroot sandwich and, as weird as it sounds, it was amazing! :wub:
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Well, I never eat poultry and never drink white wine. At the moment I am off wine (doesn’t mix with my pills), but usually I’ll drink red wine with anything. The reason is simple: I like the taste of red wine, preferably south of France cheap gutrot. I don’t see why I have to follow other people’s rules about what goes with what. Mind you, if you choose the wrong wine in the presence of James Bond he’ll kill you.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
The condiment police

Why should it be mustard on beef, apple sauce on pork, cranberry sauce with turkey? The correct answer is mint sauce - and lots of it - with everything
Bleurgh!

I'd ban lazy food combinations like drowning lamb in mint sauce with the consistency of tar. Store-bought mint sauce is truly the devil's caviar.

The correct way to do sprouts is to parboil them, then drain, and sautée in garlic butter with pine nuts or chestnuts.
 

Acey

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2018
Messages
431
I find the best way to do sprouts is to wash them ,peel off the outer leaves,boil them for 2 minutes ,coat them with melted butter seasoned with garlic and sea salt ,pop them in an oven on a high heat for 10 minutes ,remove carefully and finally throw the whole into the nearest bin ,or alternatively give them to someone you dislike !
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Supermarkets that ask you if you want to help the environment by not taking a till receipt. This in a building that is chock-full of fluorescent lights, fridges and just about every possible electricity guzzling gadget.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Supermarkets that ask you if you want to help the environment by not taking a till receipt. This in a building that is chock-full of fluorescent lights, fridges and just about every possible electricity guzzling gadget.
By extension, you could offer to help the environment by not bothering till staff or self-service machines with your goods and just go 'do a Madeley (Richard of that ilk)', preferably with quantities of expensive booze. Extra Clubcard points if you can get away with this twice!
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
I'd ban lazy food combinations like drowning lamb in mint sauce with the consistency of tar. Store-bought mint sauce is truly the devil's caviar.
I agree; I always thin my mint sauce down a bit in a larger jar although it took quite a bit of practice to get the proportions of malt vinegar and sugar to add to it correct. Second nature now.
 

scotrail158713

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
1,826
Location
Dundee
Mind you, my taste in food can be weird. The other day, I made a sliced beetroot sandwich and, as weird as it sounds, it was amazing!
If it's just plain beetroot then no, I'd hate that. I can't stand plain beetroot. Pickled beetroot however is a good one - if you look past the bread looking like it has been stabbed. :)
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
I must admit that beetroot is one food that I ought to like but loathe. Perhaps it is because at school every Monday for six years lunch was spam, potatoes boiled in their jackets until the jacket falls off (they become all fluffy) and sliced beetroot, followed by semolina and jam. The amount of beetroot served was one thing I did not enjoy about my year in Sweden.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
If it's just plain beetroot then no, I'd hate that. I can't stand plain beetroot. Pickled beetroot however is a good one - if you look past the bread looking like it has been stabbed. :)

It was out of a Baxters jar of sliced beetroot, so plenty of additional flavour. I was really hungry the other day, so didn't notice the bread looking slightly odd :lol:
 

Acey

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2018
Messages
431
Black pudding ,just the thought of it makes me nauseous,must be like eating an artery !
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
I must admit that beetroot is one food that I ought to like but loathe. Perhaps it is because at school every Monday for six years lunch was spam, potatoes boiled in their jackets until the jacket falls off (they become all fluffy) and sliced beetroot, followed by semolina and jam. The amount of beetroot served was one thing I did not enjoy about my year in Sweden.

"Snap !" nearly -- though for me it was a mere two years; and, substitute cold roast "cow or sheep"; and chocolate pudding with chocolate sauce (which latter I had never encountered before, and which struck me as perverse). The experience put me, for life without a doubt, off the vile purple thing "in any shape or make"; though indeed, so many people love it and praise it highly, that I feel that it must be me who's in the wrong.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,062
Location
St Albans
Mmmm, a delicious artery !
Despite being a true southernerm, I agree, - I've liked black pudding since I was a child, especially as part of a fry-up. It can be difficult to get a decent BP down southas many of them seem to be treated as a tubular pate'. Morrisons are I presume 'Black Pudding suppliers to the Queen' as a northern supermarket with branches near to the English palaces, - theirs is usually better.
However true to London origins, I still like jellied eels, whelks, winkles (when they're around) and brawn - another 'difficult to get' thing.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,425
Location
Yorks
Despite being a true southernerm, I agree, - I've liked black pudding since I was a child, especially as part of a fry-up. It can be difficult to get a decent BP down southas many of them seem to be treated as a tubular pate'. Morrisons are I presume 'Black Pudding suppliers to the Queen' as a northern supermarket with branches near to the English palaces, - theirs is usually better.
However true to London origins, I still like jellied eels, whelks, winkles (when they're around) and brawn - another 'difficult to get' thing.

My parents are very into whelks and cockells !
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,046
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
Black pudding ,just the thought of it makes me nauseous,must be like eating an artery !

It's possible to get over that bilious feeling you get when thinking about what black pudding is. Five years ago I had the same opinion of it as you do. Now I think it's bloody delicious.

Olives on the other hand. Nope, never, ever going to start liking those. Shoot them all into the sun please.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Black pudding I just don't understand the love for, such an unpleasant idea. The creator of such a bizarre thing needs to rethink their life! Dead or alive, don't care how they re-evaluate themselves if they're already dead but it needs doing.

Similar to whoever came up with the idea of eating things like animal livers, hearts etc. What a disgusting idea, it's enough to make one weep for humanity...!
 

Top