• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,688
Location
Solihull
If you don't like black pudding DON'T whatever you do ever look up the Filipino version (which is more like a pigs blood porridge), it'll scar you for life.

Offal can be fine though, diced sheep lung is great fried.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
One might say, you find the notion totally offal :E ...

Dreadful!

If you don't like black pudding DON'T whatever you do ever look up the Filipino version (which is more like a pigs blood porridge), it'll scar you for life.

Offal can be fine though, diced sheep lung is great fried.

I'm wanting an emoticon for explusing bodily fluids just at the thought of such a horrible idea! I can feel the stomach churning just thinking about the horrible, horrible notion! :!:

The stench the local chicken factory makes when It's in action, and when the wind blows it into town, is bad enough. The stench from the lorries carrying the poor chickens, that's no better. However, the idea of eating a sheep's lung just makes me want to disconnect from humanity! I'd like to do so anyway, but more so today than ever before!

No stomach, no! Behave yourself!
 

Meerkat

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2018
Messages
9,276
Black pudding I just don't understand the love for, such an unpleasant idea. The creator of such a bizarre thing needs to rethink their life! Dead or alive, don't care how they re-evaluate themselves if they're already dead but it needs doing.

Similar to whoever came up with the idea of eating things like animal livers, hearts etc. What a disgusting idea, it's enough to make one weep for humanity...!
Why though? Why different from any other meat?
 

BanburyBlue

Member
Joined
18 May 2015
Messages
880
I find the best way to do sprouts is to wash them ,peel off the outer leaves,boil them for 2 minutes ,coat them with melted butter seasoned with garlic and sea salt ,pop them in an oven on a high heat for 10 minutes ,remove carefully and finally throw the whole into the nearest bin ,or alternatively give them to someone you dislike !
the best way to do sprouts is to open the packet, and throw them straight in the bin.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I must admit that beetroot is one food that I ought to like but loathe. Perhaps it is because at school every Monday for six years lunch was spam, potatoes boiled in their jackets until the jacket falls off (they become all fluffy) and sliced beetroot, followed by semolina and jam. The amount of beetroot served was one thing I did not enjoy about my year in Sweden.

Interestingly I've always hated beetroot, much to my wife's annoyance. I probably don't like it because we never had it as a kid. This year on holiday in Cornwall, we had a dish with some roasted beetroot on it. It was totally different - I polished it all off, my wife nearly fell off her chair.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,062
Location
St Albans
Why though? Why different from any other meat?
I think that offal makes great food. I don't like all offal, e.g. liver can be a little boring but I like kidneys devilled or otherwise, - it's a shame that butchers aren't allowed to sell kidney chops these days. Now, stuffed (lambs) hearts are a real treat.
My GP (before he retired) told me that heart had some very beneficial nutrients: iron, zinc, selenium, and folate as well as B-complex vitamins B2, B6 and B12. It's an irony that so many people trying to feed a young family on a limited income turn their nose up at offal when it is so much better value than meat cuts or even burgers!
 

scotrail158713

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
1,826
Location
Dundee
the best way to do sprouts is to open the packet, and throw them straight in the bin.
Is the correct answer

Can we also ban the people who don't like sprouts but force themselves to eat some annually because "it's Christmas"? I dislike sprouts - actually it's more than just dislike but that's beside the point - so will not be eating any on Saturday. As anyone would usually do for something that they don't like to eat.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Why though? Why different from any other meat?

Don't start me on meat in general, I could be here for a good while discussing my (admittedly biased) views on the subject. Let's just leave it at the fact that I have strong beliefs that no-one needs to eat meat, and that we would have a much nicer planet to live on if we stopped consuming meat (and fish) as a society.

Oh I so want to go on but I really have a lot to do today!
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
the best way to do sprouts is to open the packet, and throw them straight in the bin.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



Interestingly I've always hated beetroot, much to my wife's annoyance. I probably don't like it because we never had it as a kid. This year on holiday in Cornwall, we had a dish with some roasted beetroot on it. It was totally different - I polished it all off, my wife nearly fell off her chair.
I love sprouts but I do like them how my mum cooked them......mushy.

I'm the same with fresh fruit. When I was a kid, fruit came out of a tin, so I do eat tinned fruit occasonally but can't stand "real" fruit.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
I work with two Italians and pineapple on pizza is considered blasphemy.

I'm quite partial to a Hawaiian pizza now and again.

Those Hawaiians -- them and their pineapples; and they have the world's fewest-lettered alphabet out of everyone who uses the Roman system of same (twelve letters plus two "punctuation marks"); and they're the world's greatest consumers of Spam (in the tinned-meat sense) -- there's got to be something badly wrong with them. (Although I'm on their side to the extent of rather liking Spam; which makes me odd, in the part of the world in which we're based.)
 

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2010
Messages
1,486
Location
Outrageous Grace
I think that offal makes great food. I don't like all offal, e.g. liver can be a little boring but I like kidneys devilled or otherwise, - it's a shame that butchers aren't allowed to sell kidney chops these days. Now, stuffed (lambs) hearts are a real treat.
My GP (before he retired) told me that heart had some very beneficial nutrients: iron, zinc, selenium, and folate as well as B-complex vitamins B2, B6 and B12. It's an irony that so many people trying to feed a young family on a limited income turn their nose up at offal when it is so much better value than meat cuts or even burgers!
We were on a budget and my mom made stuffed hearts. So delicious! It's a shame I never got her recipe.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,171
Location
Wilmslow
We were on a budget and my mom made stuffed hearts. So delicious! It's a shame I never got her recipe.
My mother too and, likewise, I didn't get her recipe, they needed long slow cooking I think but were great.
PS The haggis for tea was good also
 

MattRat

On Moderation
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
2,129
Location
Liverpool
Mind? I'd vote you in as PM if you can achieve it.
Well, I can't do any worse than the current roster. Of course, to stand a chance, you'd have to first ban them all from running as MPs, since they likely have underhand tricks to stop us normal people from gaining power.
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,520
Location
Northern England
Speaking of food, would anyone mind if pineapple on pizza was banned?
I would. Not because I particularly like it (though I don't mind it) but because I don't understand why people find it so important!

I can't think of much less offensive than someone eating some pineapple.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
The reason offal is traditionally eaten (and why it's considered "old school" nowadays) was that it reduced waste and provided extra nutrition from the same animal. It isn't motivated by some evil desire to eat the bits that make the average 21st century surburbanite squeamish...

That's just an added bonus! ;)
 

BanburyBlue

Member
Joined
18 May 2015
Messages
880
Is the correct answer

Can we also ban the people who don't like sprouts but force themselves to eat some annually because "it's Christmas"? I dislike sprouts - actually it's more than just dislike but that's beside the point - so will not be eating any on Saturday. As anyone would usually do for something that they don't like to eat.

I don‘t know when sprouts became the ‘Christmas vegetable’? I don’t remember it as such in the past. Was it a comedic thing? Jokes about people buying a whole net of the blooming things for a family of four?

The only use for sprouts if served on my plate, is to flick at people I don’t like.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
I don‘t know when sprouts became the ‘Christmas vegetable’? I don’t remember it as such in the past. Was it a comedic thing? Jokes about people buying a whole net of the blooming things for a family of four?

Anything to do with World War II, perhaps? (not implying, @BanburyBlue, that you are an extremely aged gent <D) -- a time when Britain was frantically doing all it could to produce as much of its own food, as possible; sprouts are one of the not hugely numerous crops which do outstandingly well in Britain: so vast numbers were grown and eaten -- perhaps, from necessity a centrepiece of wartime Christmas dinners; since then, become a tradition with a patriotic flavour?

I gather that one of a number of British things which were unfamiliar and "not altogether joyous" to the great number of American servicemen who spent time in this country in World War II: were Brussels sprouts; which in those days anyway, were little-known in a lot of of the USA -- the Yanks over here, tended not to be keen on the little blighters. One of their number -- "overdosed" on sprouts for lack of an alternative -- was quoted as saying "this has got to be the fartingest war in history".
 
Last edited:

BanburyBlue

Member
Joined
18 May 2015
Messages
880
Anything to do with World War II, perhaps? (not implying, @BanburyBlue, that you are an extremely aged gent <D) -- a time when Britain was frantically doing all it could to produce as much of its own food, as possible; sprouts are one of the not hugely numerous crops which do outstandingly well in Britain: so vast numbers were grown and eaten -- perhaps, from necessity a centrepiece of wartime Christmas dinners; since then, become a tradition with a patriotic flavour?

I gather that one of a number of British things which were unfamiliar and "not altogether joyous" to the great number of American servicemen who spent time in this country in World War II: were Brussels sprouts; which in those days anyway, were little-known in a lot of of the USA -- the Yanks over here, tended not to be keen on the little blighters. One of their number -- "overdosed"" on sprouts for lack of an alternative -- was quoted as saying "this has got to be the fartingest war in history".

LOL - bit young for WWII. Just remember my childhood in the 60’s & 70’s being force fed sprouts. Even into my 40’s my Mum was still saying “why don’t you try a couple, you may get to like them”.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
LOL - bit young for WWII. Just remember my childhood in the 60’s & 70’s being force fed sprouts. Even into my 40’s my Mum was still saying “why don’t you try a couple, you may get to like them”.

There comes to mind the bit of dialogue from the gangster film (am not a film-goer -- have only seen it quoted on message boards): two criminal "badasses" are conversing about eating -- or not -- the flesh of the pig: one of them, will have nothing to do with same -- says something to the effect of "for all I know, sewer-rat might taste as nice as pumpkin pie; but I'll never find out, because I'm never gonna try the ********. Same for me, with swine." (I will eat sprouts, if forced to; but feel that sewer-rat might well be tastier.)
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,444
There comes to mind the bit of dialogue from the gangster film (am not a film-goer -- have only seen it quoted on message boards): two criminal "badasses" are conversing about eating -- or not -- the flesh of the pig: one of them, will have nothing to do with same -- says something to the effect of "for all I know, sewer-rat might taste as nice as pumpkin pie; but I'll never find out, because I'm never gonna try the ********. Same for me, with swine." (I will eat sprouts, if forced to; but feel that sewer-rat might well be tastier.)
Its from Pulp Fiction
 

Top