• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

D821

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2021
Messages
628
Location
The Wirral
Or actors who, when filming a driving scene, constantly move the wheel from side to side. Imagine if you drove like that in real life, the car would be weaving all over the place!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,432
Location
Yorks
Any menu that includes the word "leaves" in it. Surely the sign of an uninspired salad. Even Buggs Bunny didn't eat leaves !
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
I know what you mean. Our current bug-bear is Five Guys. Absolutely love the burgers, and you can have large or small. When it comes to the fries, they fill a pot, and then throw a couple of extra scoops on top just for good measure. Far too many, and such a wast.
Yes! Why do they do this? You have to then fish through greasy chips in the bag for your burger.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,690
Location
Solihull
Or actors who, when filming a driving scene, constantly move the wheel from side to side. Imagine if you drove like that in real life, the car would be weaving all over the place!
Yeah to be honest when i started to learn to drive i was surprised how little you had to move the wheel in real life having been used to seeing the sort of thing you described on screen.
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,840
Or actors who, when filming a driving scene, constantly move the wheel from side to side. Imagine if you drove like that in real life, the car would be weaving all over the place!

Apropos bad acting - actors drinking / carrying cups of tea that are clearly empty.

Also, if it hasn’t already been mentioned, can we ban the word “banter” and it’s horrible offspring “bantz” please
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Apropos bad acting - actors drinking / carrying cups of tea that are clearly empty.

Also, if it hasn’t already been mentioned, can we ban the word “banter” and it’s horrible offspring “bantz” please

Ooh yes that annoys me with the empty cups thing!

Bantz (which my phone wanted to auto correct to Battersea :lol: ) is an awful piece of slang, banter I'm happier with though.
 
Joined
11 Dec 2018
Messages
54
I may not be the first person to cover this but being called 'mate' by someone you've never met or spoken to before. I may have picked this up from my dad though. And before you ask no I'm not a grumpy old man, I'm in my mid 30s.

This one hasn't happened in a while since I've been working from home most of the time for the past 18 months but people who don't thank you for holding a door open. If they didn't I used to say 'You're welcome' right after when they should have thanked me and loud enough for them to hear me.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
This one hasn't happened in a while since I've been working from home most of the time for the past 18 months but people who don't thank you for holding a door open. If they didn't I used to say 'You're welcome' right after when they should have thanked me and loud enough for them to hear me.

Playing devil's advocate -- but perhaps some, anyway, of such folk; are independent-minded, and feel insulted and condescended-to, rather than pleased and grateful, re having door held open for them; and are so made that rather than, for the sake of harmony, faking gratitude and saying "thank you": they are honest, and just say nothing.

In such cases, it could be worse. As in the Australian story: wherein, in the remote outback, a rich farmer is driving along the dirt track; and is about to overtake an old swagman = itinerant, who, belongings on his back, is plodding along the track in the same direction. Farmer stops, and says "can you use a lift, cobber?" The swagman -- of a breed renowned for often being cantankerous and altogether not big on human interaction -- in return, snarls: "No ! Open your own flamin' gates !"
 

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2010
Messages
1,486
Location
Outrageous Grace
I may not be the first person to cover this but being called 'mate' by someone you've never met or spoken to before. I may have picked this up from my dad though. And before you ask no I'm not a grumpy old man, I'm in my mid 30s.

This one hasn't happened in a while since I've been working from home most of the time for the past 18 months but people who don't thank you for holding a door open. If they didn't I used to say 'You're welcome' right after when they should have thanked me and loud enough for them to hear me.
Don't mention it.
Oh, you didn't. :rolleyes: :D
 

Paul Jones 88

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2020
Messages
446
Location
Headcorn
Christmas 'music' in shops, same old rubbish for years and years, when I worked in Woolworths, I nearly turned it off with a hammer.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Christmas 'music' in shops, same old rubbish for years and years, when I worked in Woolworths, I nearly turned it off with a hammer.

I'm with you on that, I'm bored of it already and am looking forward to the 'music' finishing. I noted the other day I have no playlist for Christmas music on YouTube, not sure when I banished that, and I surprisingly have yet to hear Fairytale of New York this December. I've probably tempted fate now... :lol:
 

MattRat

On Moderation
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
2,129
Location
Liverpool
Christmas 'music' in shops, same old rubbish for years and years, when I worked in Woolworths, I nearly turned it off with a hammer.
Also Christmas ads. It's just the same old rubbish trying to manipulate you to buy stuff. Last good one was the Christmas truce centenary one in 2014.
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,351
Apropos bad acting - actors drinking / carrying cups of tea that are clearly empty.

Also, if it hasn’t already been mentioned, can we ban the word “banter” and it’s horrible offspring “bantz” please
Also about acting -- actors pretending to have s*x in drama, when there are clearly sheets or clothing between the "rude bits".
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,690
Location
Solihull
The best christmas music played in shops is when they resort to cheap cover versions, especially the ones which barely sound like the originals.
 

Meerkat

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2018
Messages
9,276
Old people trying to join busy motorways by trundling down the slip road at 40 mph.
With a bonus if they only start looking for a gap when the merge starts, can't find one, and then stop at the end of the slip road endangering everyone behind.
And in my experience it is almost always pensioners (which is obviously different from all pensioners driving like that)
 

BanburyBlue

Member
Joined
18 May 2015
Messages
880
People who call sausages wrapped in bacon ’Pigs in Blankets’. They’re not - they’re sausages wrapped in bacon!!!

I’m sure this came from the USA, but I believe Pigs in Blankets in the US are more akin to sausage rolls. So wrong on all fronts.
 

MattRat

On Moderation
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
2,129
Location
Liverpool
People who call sausages wrapped in bacon ’Pigs in Blankets’. They’re not - they’re sausages wrapped in bacon!!!

I’m sure this came from the USA, but I believe Pigs in Blankets in the US are more akin to sausage rolls. So wrong on all fronts.
But what would the short hand of sausages wrapped in bacon be?
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,351
People who call sausages wrapped in bacon ’Pigs in Blankets’. They’re not - they’re sausages wrapped in bacon!!!

I’m sure this came from the USA, but I believe Pigs in Blankets in the US are more akin to sausage rolls. So wrong on all fronts.
I prefer my sausages without bacon. I usually avoid bacon because it generally contains too much fat, and too much salt.
(And I usually ask for chips without salt, because most chippies seem to put several spoonfuls equivalent of salt on them.)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
SIB - Sausages In Bacon

Easy.

I'd ban the insinuation 'It's not Christmas without'. It usually is followed by something silly, apparently it isn't Christmas without Radio Times. Really? :rolleyes: The amount of people who say the same about pigs in blankets, apparently you can't have Christmas without them. One of my colleagues said so to me the other day, and my answer was a fairly blunt "I can". And don't even think of suggesting the vegan friendly ones in most supermarkets, they don't look appetising!

I'd rather do without Christmas altogether, but I'm not going to get my wish any time soon!
 

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2010
Messages
1,486
Location
Outrageous Grace
People who call sausages wrapped in bacon ’Pigs in Blankets’. They’re not - they’re sausages wrapped in bacon!!!

I’m sure this came from the USA, but I believe Pigs in Blankets in the US are more akin to sausage rolls. So wrong on all fronts.
Pigs in piggy blankets? ;)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

SIB - Sausages In Bacon

Easy.

I'd ban the insinuation 'It's not Christmas without'. It usually is followed by something silly, apparently it isn't Christmas without Radio Times. Really? :rolleyes: The amount of people who say the same about pigs in blankets, apparently you can't have Christmas without them. One of my colleagues said so to me the other day, and my answer was a fairly blunt "I can". And don't even think of suggesting the vegan friendly ones in most supermarkets, they don't look appetising!

I'd rather do without Christmas altogether, but I'm not going to get my wish any time soon!
It ain't Christmas without sprouts, sprouts, and more sprouts :D
 

MattRat

On Moderation
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
2,129
Location
Liverpool
I'd ban the insinuation 'It's not Christmas without'. It usually is followed by something silly, apparently it isn't Christmas without Radio Times. Really? :rolleyes: The amount of people who say the same about pigs in blankets, apparently you can't have Christmas without them. One of my colleagues said so to me the other day, and my answer was a fairly blunt "I can". And don't even think of suggesting the vegan friendly ones in most supermarkets, they don't look appetising!

I'd rather do without Christmas altogether, but I'm not going to get my wish any time soon!
Next you'll be say it's OK not to have Auld Lang Syne playing on New Year's.....
 

Top