causton
Established Member
Was going to go down on a diverted train tomorrow... will steer well clear now I've heard this! (No idea what I'll do now though!)
Bishopstone, a few regs from your line are palnning to drive to East Grinstead. However, I have been warning them that parking will be an issue, esp with all the buses floating around. TBH, hand on heart, I'm not going to recomend one over the other. All I can adivse is give lots of time, listen out, keep an eye on the websites, and just go with the flow.
Not sure what parking there is at the station, but there is a large free car park in the town centre. From the A26/A22 roundabout drive north up the A22, next roundabout turn right, down to the end passing McDs and Tesco on route. At end is a T junction turn left (opposite direction to station), and a little way up the hill on the left is the free car park (if you miss the first entrance there is a 2nd one immediately by the cinema. Ensure you park in one of the long stay spaces.
Then a five minute walk back down the hill to the station.
I notice the Southern site is now talking about replacement buses between Dorking and Three Bridges for Saturday. That's quite a long bus ride.
Am I missing something here unless the busses are routed via A24 A264 (Horsham) Three Bridges why not go the shortest route via A25, A217 A23 GATWICK then Three Bridges and return. Dropping off and picking up London (Dorking)-Gatwick - Three Bridges - Gatwick - (Dorking) London passengers?
I wouldnt say Brighton is a small town tacked on to the London - Gatwick route !! Brighton is one of the biggest destinations in the South of England !! Gatwick is one of the major destinations on the line, without a doubt.
Probably because buses are getting filled up at Three Bridges - but still they could run them that way.
Would take about 45 minutes via the A23 and Reigate, not sure via Horsham.
Am I missing something here unless the busses are routed via A24 A264 (Horsham) Three Bridges why not go the shortest route via A25, A217 A23 GATWICK then Three Bridges and return. Dropping off and picking up London (Dorking)-Gatwick - Three Bridges - Gatwick - (Dorking) London passengers?
Well there is something for you all to look out for now, our 73 is back, and in Southern Colours.
Where's it been? And is it going to be used to recover broken down trains now its back?
What happens with stock stranded on the wrong side? Presumably stock needs to rotate to Selhurst for servicing?
Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
Is the renewal of Stoats Nest Junction going to have been worth all the aggravation this Christmas?
I guess so because it will last for another 30 years but I recall that there was a plan in one consultation a few years back to reduce the use of it and Gatwick Express won't use it once the new platforms are sorted out at Gatwick. Is the benefit to off-peak travellers from Redhill (me included) worth the delays crossing trains cause to trains to all other Southern destinations? (The implied suggestion here is that Arun Valley trains cross to the Quarry Line at the crossover north of Gatwick and avoid Redhill.)
Originally Posted by JonathanH
Is the renewal of Stoats Nest Junction going to have been worth all the aggravation this Christmas?
I guess so because it will last for another 30 years but I recall that there was a plan in one consultation a few years back to reduce the use of it and Gatwick Express won't use it once the new platforms are sorted out at Gatwick. Is the benefit to off-peak travellers from Redhill (me included) worth the delays crossing trains cause to trains to all other Southern destinations? (The implied suggestion here is that Arun Valley trains cross to the Quarry Line at the crossover north of Gatwick and avoid Redhill.)
You are getting confused on the location of Stoats Nest Junction, it isn't the junction North of Gatwick, its the junction near Coulsdon South where the line branches off to Redhill and the Quarry Lines.
No confusion on my part, although I could have been clearer. I was referring to the routeing of part of the Gatwick Express service down the Redhill line rather than Quarry lines in which case it crosses to the fast at Stoats Nest Junction rather than at (what I think is) Tinsley Green Junction. .
Where's it been? And is it going to be used to recover broken down trains now its back?
VCS is certainly unfit for purpose has been for years. The arrivals area is the absolute pits. But don't worry TfL are trying to get rid of it. The whole area is up for redevelopment. But the building is a listed structure.Just my 2ps worth here..
I travelled back from Suffolk yesterday, got the train to Liverpool Street and booked a coach from Victoria to Brighton. Thinking I could avoid the train/bus/train combo to Brighton.
Victoria coach station was rammed! Seems everyone had the same idea as me, plus lots of tourists heading for Gatwick.
On the plus side got back in 2h10 from Victoria. However I am sure there is a seperate forum for saying how unfit for purpose Victoria coach station is!
VCS is certainly unfit for purpose has been for years. The arrivals area is the absolute pits. But don't worry TfL are trying to get rid of it. The whole area is up for redevelopment. But the building is a listed structure.
How do I know I use be a Coach Station Manager for National Express.
I suspect that there is more utility in giving the bluebell some money to complete their Ardingly spur, then you could run a diesel shuttle from HH to East Grinstead.