I'm not going to speculate on how the car managed to attach itself to the front of the lorry, as there are several possibilities.
However, in defence of the lorry driver (seeing as the bonnet of the car was on the drivers side of the lorry), he probably wouldn't have seen the car was there. Looking down from the driving seat of a lorry, visibilty directly in front of him is extremely limited in the 6-8 feet ahead of the cab. Even in a 7.5 ton lorry, you can't see the road for about 3-5 feet ahead. However, that's the only defending I can do. As I said, I'm not going to speculate on how the car got there.
As for getting freight back onto rail, I agree, It can only be a good thing. However, how do you accomodate wagonload freight going to different destinations?
In that video, the lorry would be going to several different garages (possibly in different towns), so that sort of traffic can't really go by rail. Most of the freight that arrives at ports such at Immingham, isn't even a full load for a lorry either, it's known as groupage. (This is the type of loads I used to deliver). What happens, is that factories and companies in another country have perhaps 3 or 4 pallets to send to somewhere in the UK. Obviously, this isn't cost effective to send on 1 lorry. Because of that, they use a freight fowarding company, such as Schenker. They gather loads for the UK from various places in that country, load them into the own trailers for shipping to the UK, where loads are then organised for deliveries through out the UK. The same thing happens in reverse. Another aspect of the nature of thus work, is that it is very sporadic. For example, you can have several days where the majority of the deliveries and collections are in 1 part of the country, then go for a week, with very little to/from that part of the country. As an example of this type of work, here's what a typical day looked like for me.
Deliveries in Middlesborough, Washington and Morpeth, totalling 14 pallets and 3.6 tons in weight. I also had collections in Alnmouth, Hexham, Peterlee and Harrogate totalling 10 pallets, but weighing 4 tons.
Once again, how would this type of freight be accomodated on the railway?