• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another reason why frieght should be on the railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoyerman

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2009
Messages
38
Location
Glasgow
Hmmmm - 8 pages of posts, in a number of which people open to discussion, but some are stating fairly blinkered points of view. To me, there seem to be a few fairly obvious facts to be stated here:

Fact 1 - trucks can go almost anywhere to deliver loads using existing roads
Fact 2 - trains are much more efficient at moving large loads
Fact 3 - trucks are not so efficient at moving large loads
Fact 4 - trains can generally only deliver to a suitable facility
Fact 5 - the country needs both to work efficiently!!!

I am (and have been) an LGV 1 driver for 20 years - working with all kinds of loads including Petroleum & Gases - and I have felt for a long time that many problems on the road are down to (a) a lack of understanding and (b) a lack of patience.

Also - let me say at the outset - the speed limit is what it is - and I don't exceed it. If I don't think its safe - I won't even reach it. If I'm in my truck doing 40 on a single carrageway and you're stuck behind me (in a car or truck) - tough. I will pull over and let you pass when I feel it is safe to do so - not before. I've spent a lot of years driving big trucks around narrow roads in the west and north of Scotland and I've seen - and unfortunately been the first on scene several times - the results of many such impatient attempts.

Most car drivers have not driven a truck - and do not appreciate the space required by a LGV for maneuvers(especially in towns), nor the limited rear and side visibility from the cab, or the braking capability if something happens at speed - you will usually see this on the road when a truck is overtaken on the approach to a junction because someone can't or won't wait, then the car nips in front of the truck, indicates, brakes, then turns off the road...

Most of you won't appreciate this, but there are few scarier things than getting caught up in a high speed incident like this on wet roads in an empty truck, which (due to some of the safety systems such as anti-lock brakes and load sensing valves) just can't stop...

Another point many people don't appreciate is that a fair number of truck drivers feel extremely pressured by their employer to speed and cut corners. (and believe me - there are plenty of employers out there who will sack you for not doing it) Many driving jobs are "job & finish" - i.e. you are paid a set number of hours for a job, regardless of how long it takes to do the work - petrol companies are a perfect example of this, where each load will be timed - in advance - to the minute, and a number of loads added together to make up a full 11 hour shift. The above means that if you finish early - you won't be penalised, but if you finish late - you won't be paid any overtime.

There is an industry wide problem here... and to be honest, LGV drivers are very often their own worst enemy.

An example - I have been on the road, in the middle of a 12 hour shift, when I have had a call from the driver due to pick up my vehicle for the next shift, asking why I am not back in, since he is waiting for me in the mess room. (This was 3 hours before I was due to finish!). He came in at this time every day, as this was when the normal driver was usually finished his 12 hour shift - and he was not pleased about sitting around for 3 hours waiting on me I can assure you!

I was (and still am) of the opinion - if the job can't be finished within the time stated in normal traffic conditions - the time is wrong (not the driver). Unfortunately many companies work on "real time" scheduling where they take the actual time taken for a job (maybe averaged over 4 or 5 trips) and use this as the benchmark time. Naturally this favours the "faster" driver - or nightshift, when roads are quieter - but dayshift can be a problem due to increased traffic.

Another LGV variation is Refrigerated vehicles, which are very often are booked into a "delivery slot" at their destination - if you miss the slot, you have to wait for a gap in the schedule, which can literally mean days at some major supermarket sites. Some companies don't pay you for waiting (esp true for self employed truckers) so you are under pressure to get there on time - at all costs. So what do you do if you are delayed loading or on the road due to an accident or weather - you can bet that the customer won't give you a later slot....?

Many LGV drivers are now monitored. My company has a tracker in each vehicle and can call you up and tell when you are speeding, loading or offloading, braking harshly, idling excessively, in the wrong gear... plus many other things. This is checked regularly and part of my annual salary depends on what the black box says about me. Unsurprisingly, my company now has a lot of "good" drivers, who take the full time given in the schedule to complete the job...

On the other hand, I also drive a company car fairly often and know of car driver colleagues who regularly boast of getting from Glasgow to Manchester in 2.5 hours (a whole hour faster than I can do it in the car). Again I take the view that the meeting can't start until I get there, which will be as soon as I can safely and legally do so... regardless of how late that might be.

It therfore seems obvious to me that there are very good and very bad drivers out there - of all kinds of vehicles (no doubt including trains... ;)) plus all points on the spectrum in between.

Just try and understand the other point of view - believe me - It makes life a lot easier for all!! :D

Cheers
H
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kernowfem

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2009
Messages
726
Location
The Midlands
Hoyerman..i wont quote your message as its so long.
Firstly, blimey are your fingers bleeding?
Secondly probably one of the best posts on this thread. Informative AND honest.
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster

And I'll counter with http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/8600977.stm ....

I'm not going to get involved anymore, as the car v lorry and road v rail debates have been going on for a long time now, and will be going on for years to come. I'm a firm believer that more frieght should be moved by rail, but as I posted right at the start of the thread, I gave a very good example of why rail can't compete with road haulage for wagonload freight.

@ Whoshotjimmi - I didn't answer your question about speed limits for lorries for a reason, and that reason is that not many people realise that the limits differ for different classes of vehicle. I decided to leave the question open in the hope that a few people would look for the answer.

@ Hoyerman and GearJammer - Some quality information about what a lorry driver has to put up with day in, day out. Like yourselves, I do have several years driving lorries (I'm licenced for Cat. C vehicles (any rigid lorry for those who don't know/understand what the different catagories are)), but most of my work has been driving 7.5 ton vehicles (Cat. C1).

Here's a challenge for those who argue against lorries. Arrange with a haulage company (or even several) to spend a week with 1 of their drivers (perhaps you can make a blog about it). This will give you a huge insight into the what a driver has to deal with day in, day out, and the rules and regulations they have to work within, as well as they sights they have to see. For somebody who is extremely (un)lucky, I might be able to arrange for someone to spend a week with my dad who is also a HGV driver.
 

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
probably one of the best posts on this thread. Informative AND honest.

Yeah i'll second that!

I'm a firm believer that more frieght should be moved by rail, but as I posted right at the start of the thread, I gave a very good example of why rail can't compete with road haulage for wagonload freight.
Here's a challenge for those who argue against lorries. Arrange with a haulage company (or even several) to spend a week with 1 of their drivers (perhaps you can make a blog about it). This will give you a huge insight into the what a driver has to deal with day in, day out, and the rules and regulations they have to work within, as well as they sights they have to see. For somebody who is extremely (un)lucky, I might be able to arrange for someone to spend a week with my dad who is also a HGV driver.

Yes you did give very good example David, as did Hoyerman, i wish i could have put the point accross like that, unfortunetly the pro-rail people on here won't see it, nor (unfortunetly) could i ever see one of them getting in a truck to see what we do day in and day out, if they did they might see how much it costs to keep a truck on the road and see that road haulage most definetly does pay its way!
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
I'm not going to speculate on how the car managed to attach itself to the front of the lorry, as there are several possibilities.

However, in defence of the lorry driver (seeing as the bonnet of the car was on the drivers side of the lorry), he probably wouldn't have seen the car was there. Looking down from the driving seat of a lorry, visibilty directly in front of him is extremely limited in the 6-8 feet ahead of the cab. Even in a 7.5 ton lorry, you can't see the road for about 3-5 feet ahead. However, that's the only defending I can do. As I said, I'm not going to speculate on how the car got there.

Basically, this is what has happened. The car has joined the motorway and gone to pull in front of the lorry, but not left enough room.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/10162158.stm
 

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
Well well well......... so all the people that posted on here that it 'clearly' was the truck drivers fault are gonna have to eat some humble pie are they? lol
 

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Joined
7 Sep 2005
Messages
1,787
Location
Loughborough
The fact that the car is facing the middle of the Motorway does tend to suggest that it was it's rear right corner that was hit, and therefore the lorry was on the right hand side of the car. The lorry driver pulling in to the left hand lane and clipping the back of the car is possible, but doens't seem that likely. The car pulling out as the lorry was passing and clipping it seems more likely. Would also make sence with it being a right hand drive lorry.

As pretty much predicted :)
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,126
Location
Birmingham
Well well well......... so all the people that posted on here that it 'clearly' was the truck drivers fault are gonna have to eat some humble pie are they? lol

Since I didn't comment in the first place, I'll hold the pie :D bit I still can't understand how the truck driver didn't notice a bang or knock as the car was hit and moved into the sideways position? Even the slightest of contacts would surely have been recognised as not being a pothole (for example)?
 

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
bit I still can't understand how the truck driver didn't notice a bang or knock as the car was hit and moved into the sideways position? Even the slightest of contacts would surely have been recognised as not being a pothole (for example)?

I agree, as i stated in my very first post there would have been a bang on impact so i still can't quite understand it.

Incidently... a driver on the firm i work for had his Truck damaged in exactly the same way a few weeks back, only resulted in a broken bottom n/s step and bent wheel trim, the Audi driver had a nice crease down the side of his car for his part, they'll learn, one day!
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
Since I didn't comment in the first place, I'll hold the pie :D bit I still can't understand how the truck driver didn't notice a bang or knock as the car was hit and moved into the sideways position? Even the slightest of contacts would surely have been recognised as not being a pothole (for example)?

Not quite as simple as what you make out, as it is very surprising what can, and what can't be noticed when your in a lorry (this is mostly aimed at those at who have never been in a lorry of any type).

I suspect this accident happened where the A1 goes from tow lanes back to three lanes just North of Wetherby, and that is a section that is very bumpy, as the Highways Agency haven't finished upgrading it yet.

With the accident being a "shallow impact", the car will have been pushed around quite slowly given the similar speeds of the vehicles involved, so there would have been no big bump to indicate to the lorry driver that he had hit another vehicle, it could have easily felt like the lorry had hit a particulary bad set of bumps. ***

Having just watched the video again, it looks as though the car has made contact with the lorry with the back of the car immediately below the near side mirrors, and more importantly, just outside the view of the lookdown mirros as well.

*** I'm not defending the driver here, just attempting to explain how it's possibly happened. Perhaps GearJammer will be able to explain it better that what I've said.

EDIT :: Seeing my dad is a lorry driver, I'll ask the firm he works for if I can go in and take a few photos to try and illustrate my explanation a bit better.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,312
I suspect this accident happened where the A1 goes from two lanes back to three lanes just North of Wetherby, and that is a section that is very bumpy, as the Highways Agency haven't finished upgrading it yet.

Southbound from the A64 onto the A1 is what I've read elsewhere. The junction number given in the BBC report was 44, which is now Bramham 'Crossroads'; although 44 used to be the A1(M)/M1 junction at Hook Moor until renumbered early 2009. The BBC probably put Wetherby as it's the nearest place people will have heard of?

(BTW, the upgrade to 3 lanes right through Wetherby was completed last year as well.)
 

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
I can't to be honest, im sure he would've noticed some sort of impact, its been a long time since i last drove a DAF XF but i would have thought that if the car was far enough forward to be out of view of the n/s downward mirror then at least the bonnet would have been in view from the winscreen, but then i seem to recall the dash being quite high on the XF and it might have obscored his vision from his seating position, i would also have thought that when the car spun round to get stuck on the front it would make some sort of bang/crunch as the bumper on the XF is plastic, its a hard one to call coz to be honest its not the place your looking, your looking ahead, not whats on your off side unless your changing to that lane which he clearly is'nt!

I've never been hit by a car like that so i don't know what its like. I also don't know this stretch of road or how bumpy it is etc.

I do know its very easy to loose sight of a car on the n/s, i have seen them come up in my n/s mirrors then lost sight and thought to myself 'were you gone you Bast**d, i know your down there somewhere' while trying to concentrate on everything going on in front.
To look in the downward facing n/s mirror you really need to turn ya head to the left and take your eyes off the road so to speak, i prefer to concentrate on things in front of me, i assume that anyone alongside me can see me.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
i would also have thought that when the car spun round to get stuck on the front it would make some sort of bang/crunch as the bumper on the XF is plastic, its a hard one to call coz to be honest its not the place your looking, your looking ahead, not whats on your off side unless your changing to that lane which he clearly is'nt!

Sorry to bring this up again, but are you sure that's the case?

I know it's not exactly the same, but there's an LF that delivers to the shops by my office, and it's bumper is definately rusty. I would presume they'd be similar on the LF and XF (obviously the XF's being bigger).
So, is it that they're plastic or just painted grey?
 

Attachments

  • P1080080.jpg
    P1080080.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 11

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
Off the top of my head the part of the bumper that the numberplate is attached to is metal, you'll find the part that surrounds the headlights and the grill is plastic, the XF is very similar, the bottom part of the bumper is metal about the same size as the LF's with the big part being made of plastic that surrounds the headlights and grill etc, if you look at a pic of a Daf XF you'll see the spot/fog lights at the bottom, there mounted on the metal part, the main headlights are mounted on the plastic part which goes up to the botton of the cab!
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
Off the top of my head the part of the bumper that the numberplate is attached to is metal, you'll find the part that surrounds the headlights and the grill is plastic, the XF is very similar, the bottom part of the bumper is metal about the same size as the LF's with the big part being made of plastic that surrounds the headlights and grill etc, if you look at a pic of a Daf XF you'll see the spot/fog lights at the bottom, there mounted on the metal part, the main headlights are mounted on the plastic part which goes up to the botton of the cab!

I was looking at it again earlier and wondered if part of it was plastic, because only the bottom part's rusting.
Sounds about right though, I'll have another look tomorrow morning.

Though, I think I prefer the Volvo FM behind it :D
 
Last edited:

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
Seen this and just had to repeat it here........

From Julys TruckStop News....

Truck driver John Tomlinson, whose truck was shown on You Tube pushing a Renault Clio sideways along the A1(M), has been told his licence is safe.
Appearing before North West traffic commissioner Beverley Hill, Tomlinson was told it was 'absolutely clear' he could not see the car. "You showed coolness and a clear head and it would be entirely inappropriate for me to take away your licence," Bell told Tomlinson. "You, your employers and the haulage industry should be able to hold your heads up high after this incident," she added.

While TRUCKING magazine reported.......

YOU TUBE VILLAIN WAS ACTUALLY HERO

A truck driver who achieved notoriety after his DAF artic was filmed pushing a Renault Clio along the A1, has been cleared of any wrongdoing by North Western traffic commissioner Beverly Bell, who praised him for his conduct.
Video of the incident, showing a Renault Clio sideways in front of the Arclid truck and misleadingly titled 'Speeding blind trucker has car stuck to his bumper going over 70mph', was viewed by well over half a million people on YouTube. But truck driver John Tomlinson was praised for being "cool and calm" in a crisis during a traffic commissioner's hearing to decide whether his LGV licence should be revoked.
The hearing was told the car became snagged after its driver, Rhona Jane Williams, a vet from York, misjudged her entry to Junction 44 of the A1(M) in Yorkshire in January.
In a police statement read at the hearing, the panel was told Williams moved into the wrong lane as she came off the slip and joined the carriagway.
"She was effectively performing an undertaking manoeuvre as she joined the lane," the statement said.
Williams said she felt a bump as the vehicles came together and her car swung round 90 degrees and attached itself to the front of the truck, according the statement.
Tomlinson did not notice the car colliding with his truck, and continued driving until motorists alerted him by flashing hazard lights, according to his lawyer Sean Joyce.

Good to know that this fellow professional driver who is 'clearly' a victim of another motorist is back out on the road free of any blame!!!!!!!!!!!
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
Video of the incident, showing a Renault Clio sideways in front of the Arclid truck and misleadingly titled 'Speeding blind trucker has car stuck to his bumper going over 70mph',

Nice to know that other people know what the law is and that lorries can't reach 70mph, let alone 60 mph :roll:
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Well, I have on some ( admittedly rare ) occasions been doing 70mph in the left hand lane on a motorway when a great big artic has come past me in lane 2...

Quite clearly the limiter was isolated - how come that is possible? Aren't they supposed to be tamper proof?


Interestingly enough, every time this has happened it has been a UK registered tractor unit hauling a foreign registered trailer with no UK repeater plates over the foreign registration - or anywhere else; I am guessing that's a way of dodging the cameras?
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
Well, I have on some ( admittedly rare ) occasions been doing 70mph in the left hand lane on a motorway when a great big artic has come past me in lane 2...

Quite clearly the limiter was isolated - how come that is possible? Aren't they supposed to be tamper proof?

Maybe they are, but they're most definately not.

A trucking company my friend knows about have switches under the dashboard on all their trucks which turn the limiter off and IIRC turn up the fuel pump as well (something like that, I can't remember exactly what).
He was driving up the M74 a while back and was passed by one of them with no trailer doing at least 75 :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The hearing was told the car became snagged after its driver, Rhona Jane Williams, a vet from York, misjudged her entry to Junction 44 of the A1(M) in Yorkshire in January.
In a police statement read at the hearing, the panel was told Williams moved into the wrong lane as she came off the slip and joined the carriagway.
"She was effectively performing an undertaking manoeuvre as she joined the lane," the statement said.

Good to know that this fellow professional driver who is 'clearly' a victim of another motorist is back out on the road free of any blame!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I wonder if the Clio driver has been done for driving without due care and attention or for dangerous driving?
 
Last edited:

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
Well, I have on some ( admittedly rare ) occasions been doing 70mph in the left hand lane on a motorway when a great big artic has come past me in lane 2...

Where you going down hill by any chance....... no speed limiter can stop gravity doing its stuff ;) i would tell ya what my top speed has been but i'd just be accused of being a dangerous killer in the waiting or some c**p like that!

Interestingly enough, every time this has happened it has been a UK registered tractor unit hauling a foreign registered trailer with no UK repeater plates over the foreign registration - or anywhere else; I am guessing that's a way of dodging the cameras?

Quite often fella you'll find theres no where to put a repeater plate on the back of a continental trailer, you can hang them on the back from the door handles or something like that but more often than not its not worth the hassle, if the police or ministry want to see the redge they can just look at the unit!

Although I wonder if the Clio driver has been done for driving without due care and attention or for dangerous driving?

Funnily enough thats not been mentioned anywhere!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top