• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

why are there no late night trains on SWT network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BuryBlue

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
77
Where from?

Last train from King's Cross is 0135.

Slightly OT but did GN ever have a late(r) night service, perhaps under FCC?

Doesn't make much difference to me because I'm restricted by Abellio's abysmal service but I'm just interested.

I know at the moment the last Cambridge service is 00:35. And I think Peterborough gets a 1am service.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
The last service from Kings Cross to Stevenage used to be 0136. It was moved forward a minute a year or so ago. FCC/WAGN never ran anything later.

I think there used to be a 0141 to Welwyn Garden City but its stops were absorbed into the 0135.

The 0135 calls at New Southgate.
 

Envy123

Member
Joined
9 Apr 2015
Messages
633
Location
Peterborough
Where from?

Last train from King's Cross is 0135.

On a recent outing, the last train was around 23:30 from Moorgate. I checked the departure boards at Kings Cross and Finsbury Park and there was no other service, so I just stayed on the train.

Looking back at it, it was rather strange at the time. Maybe it was just an off day?
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
I hadn't considered the possibility of a Vic diverting via Palace to make the staff stop at Norwood Jn instead, I suppose when that happens there is a third pair of units out and presumably at least one extra driver and guard. As you say, the diagrams are tight with little turnround time at Three Bridges and Vic.

Are the side entrances to all the intermediate shacks actually locked after the last train then? I had always thought that the booking offices were closed and the side entrances left open while the station was unstaffed.

Sometimes you need an extra train and crew (in fact, you usually have at least three or four drivers and likewise conductors on duty on the mainline overnight, depending on the times you consider "overnight" and whether it's a weekend or not), but on other occasions the timings just about work and you don't need to. When you do need that extra support, often the crew diagrams are absolutely hideous, even for Southern's BML depots who are used to some fairly awful turns, and so it would appear to be avoided in case there are problems with rostering people to do it! You're more likely to need more resources when there are further engineering works affecting timings elsewhere too - for example, single line working at Coulsdon North, or some sort of trundle down the Battersea Reversible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top