Don't get me wrong, you may have a right to expect good standards, but you don't have a right to receive them - two very different things.
I might have a right to expect zero delays on the way home from work in the car, but that right is NEVER given to me. The roads are there as a public service to me, and I have never felt I get value for money when paying the various taxes I pay.
You can choose not to watch that TV station, or choose not to eat there because of the service. It's wild, and as I say unpractical for the majority but you can't ignore the fact that people would rather work in London and have a mediocre train company get them there, than find a job either working from home, self-employed or a job nearer to where they live. That's the choice they have made.
As I say, don't get me wrong, I'm not being challenging for the sake of it, but here's a story:
I was at a course where a senior manager from the GEML was taking the lecture. We were discussing brands and logos and what they mean. IE, you'd expect Bentley to be better in terms in nearly everything than Vauxhall.
I brought up about ebay and how when things are okay, they'r eokay, but when things go wrong, ebay are terrible. The senoir manager asked why I continued to use the site, and I replied because of the reach of people (from a seller perspective). They replied that I still had a choice whether I used their services or not.
That really hit me. I do choose to use their services, but there are other (less attractive in some ways) places to sell and buy. But the fact remains - it's still a choice I am making, because it's too much hassle to use other sites.
This then leads to the hassle factor. It's 3/10 hassle to sell on ebay. It has a large customer base but with large risk of fraud too. But it'll be more hassle to sell elsewhere when it comes down to potential customer numbers.
It always makes me laugh that people seem to loose their rag when they're delayed on trains. I am routinely delayed on the road but just accept it. "But I've paid for a ticket!" I hear you say? Yes, I have paid for petrol that I am wasting going slowly because of an accident. But people just accept it as part of life.