Passengers....listen....

hock:
Very true.
I well remember being on a Voyager which was diverted over the S.& C.
While we were waiting at Preston, the TM was at pains to stress the next stop would be Carlisle, and passengers for intermediate stations should board the bus replacement service, naming the stations involved. He made that announcement several times and I was getting sick of hearing it.
Then we got underway and he did his ticket-check as we were passing through Blackburn. Sure enough the chap sitting adjacent to me, where he'd been sitting all the time, was wanting to go to.....Lancaster!......I still marvel at the TM's self-control.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do those automated-voice announcements at stations come on automatically or are they switched-on manually?
If manually, someone at Euston has a wicked sense of humour, for I remember one day the concourse was heaving with folks staring at the departures board, awaiting the platforming of a Manchester train, and getting more and more anxious as the departure time approached.
About 4 minutes before the scheduled time, the platform came up, followed immediately by the automated voice warning:-
"Because of the wet weather, platform surfaces are slippery. DON'T RUN"
Another automated announcement that annoys me is at Manchester Piccadilly, where a voice warns very frequently:-
"Security personnel patrol this station 24-hours a day"
I always add under my breath "and they're getting pretty tired now"