Potayto/potato. Does it really matter, in the grand scheme of things, if a passenger is called a passenger or a customer? This all goes down the line of personal responsibility. Some people seem unable to function without directions or are in fear of being held liable for their own foolish action? This is common at airports too.
In the not too distant past, there were no announcements on trains. If I wanted to get off at a certain stop, I paid attention to where we were and got off at the right place. I often noticed that there were clever devices called signs, on platforms that identified the station (if someone with a visual impairment was on the train, it was normally the case that someone cared enough to ask them where they wanted to get off or the person had asked the guard or a fellow passenger).
Similarly, when the guard was collecting tickets, you didn't need advance warning that this was about to happen as your ticket was in a convenient place anyway just in case the guard wanted to look at it. Some people now seem genuinely dumbfounded when asked for their ticket.
While TOCs have a responsibility for care and have to abide by a plethora of H&S legislation, is it too much to expect the modern traveller to be able to show any initiative or independant thought?
I'm off back to the grumpy room.