pappleby
Member
Surely it should be,'the next 'Railway Station'-(from another thread)
I get annoyed with the use of superfluous adjectives by London Underground announcers. What used to be just "engineering works" now have to be qualified as either "planned" or "essential". Not necessary, really....
I've always thought that "the next station stop" is used because the train might well pass through other stations before reaching it, but not stop at them.
A funny one that I can't really fathom is "This train will be going forward to...". I wouldn't expect the driver to throw the thing into reverse and back it to the next station. Not least because of all the fannying about for a propelling move :P
I get annoyed with the use of superfluous adjectives by London Underground announcers. What used to be just "engineering works" now have to be qualified as either "planned" or "essential". Not necessary, really....

Can I just say, when I was working at Manchester Airport, after a few months, I used neither, customers, passengers or pax. The general terms consisted of idiots, ****s, or sometimes passengers used with a qualifying term that meant we where slagging them off... (Eg. 'Ski Passengers')
And is "essential engineering works" really good PR? It seems to be saying" oops, something's broken again, but we're trying to fix it".![]()
I am vehemently opposed to using the c-word
I get annoyed with the use of superfluous adjectives by London Underground announcers. What used to be just "engineering works" now have to be qualified as either "planned" or "essential". Not necessary, really....
And is "essential engineering works" really good PR? It seems to be saying" oops, something's broken again, but we're trying to fix it".![]()
That's what you get for MAG forcing all passengers to wander through the duty free shop just to get the boarding gates, pushing perfumes/aftershave/booze at you!
It's like forcing everyone at a railway station to go through WHSmith to get the platforms! :cry:
Using phoney made-up words like "alot" doesn't make a great deal of sense either.
Another thing LU say is "we have a good service on the X line", shouldn't that be "a normal service" perhaps?![]()
Or stop at a signal before the next station, i suppose. So the next stop might not necessarily be a station.
Of course, a 175 doesn't have this problem.
The automated announcement says: 'We will shortly be arriving at (wherever).''![]()
As for station stop, this has been used for at least twenty years and was brought in to try and ensure that people were aware that the train may stop before the actual station.
Pax, as far as I know, is airline industry slang and has probably crept into use in the rail industry. Obviously it's just short for passengers.
No its not, it's Latin for "peace" ...
Another thing LU say is "we have a good service on the X line", shouldn't that be "a normal service" perhaps?![]()
No its not, it's Latin for "peace" ...
What annoys me more than customer and that does annoy me alot is the term PAX. it makes no sense to me!
I tink the term "customer" was introduced back in the Glorious Years of BR, wasn't it, as was "Senior Conductor" for Guard. I'm pleased to see that some companies seem to have reverted to calling them Passengers and Guards.
Don't the 175s waffle about security and litter issues (!) though when passengers are disembarking and boarding at certain stages?![]()
Well, on some routes the train certainly does go back in the direction it came from.
Cardiff to Portsmouth harbour services do this at Bristol Temple Meads. Sometimes, the guard will specifically say something to the effect of "this train will now reverse on leaving the station". Presumably so people who don't know this happens don't get too confused!
Or stop at a signal before the next station, i suppose. So the next stop might not necessarily be a station.
A funny one that I can't really fathom is "This train will be going forward to...". I wouldn't expect the driver to throw the thing into reverse and back it to the next station. Not least because of all the fannying about for a propelling move :P
Yes, but every train does regarding security issues!
The 175s have particularly long-winded announcements about it though.
333s are very brief in terms of automated announcements (probably as it should be, certainly for regional trains) - "Welcome to the X train", "the next station is X", "where this train terminates, please take your belongings with you". That's it.