• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WH Smiths at Railway Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
I think they've come fairly close. Certainly shopping centre branches are now selling just about everything (or trying to), but the inconsistency from branch to branch means I'd not think to try them if looking for something - besides perhaps a magazine.

But, as we found, even with magazines you won't find a single magazine in every branch, as the size given over for newspaper and magazines varies so much.

Splitting the business has helped, although you may have noticed in their retail outlets that you're lucky to find a cashier for the whole of the store.

They've also done a franchise deal with the Post Office which has helped to increase footfall. Whether they then decide to spend money in Smith's is another story.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,837
Location
Stirlingshire
Just a quick update on this I noticed WH Smith charging over £8 for 20 B&H the other day - even whistlestop was cheaper at £7.50 odd :p at Edinburgh Waverley Station.

I have written to them to ask why they charge such a premium on cigarettes,much higher than on any other product.

Will let you all know what their response is.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,743
Location
Yorkshire
Just a quick update on this I noticed WH Smith charging over £8 for 20 B&H the other day - even whistlestop was cheaper at £7.50 odd :p at Edinburgh Waverley Station.

I have written to them to ask why they charge such a premium on cigarettes,much higher than on any other product.

Will let you all know what their response is.

I'm afraid I've no idea how much B&H normally are but I was shocked how much they were charging for chocolate compared with the Boots next door in St Pancakes just before Christmas.

Largely why I don't buy anything other than newspapers and magazines at Station WH Smiths (and not so many of them).
 

stut

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
1,924
Why are Newspapers and Magazines excluded everywhere - is it because the price is printed on the cover.

It's usually part of the agreement with the supplier (which in WHS's case, is normally WHS News). Newspapers and magazines are sold on a sale-or-return basis, as they're one of the more difficult things to predict sales of, and are obviously very time-dependent. So it's really in the retailer's interests to keep this part of the agreement sweet.

Newspapers aren't really a revenue generator, they're more of a "get them in and flog them a giant Galaxy for £1 from the counter" kind of thing.

Has anybody ever bought any of the £1 offers from WHS?
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,743
Location
Yorkshire
Has anybody ever bought any of the £1 offers from WHS?

Erm, yes.

Despite my last post I got one in December - I was buying chocolate for my nephew and the cashier kindly pointed out that the bar on offer was cheaper and bigger than the one we were going to buy.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Just a quick update on this I noticed WH Smith charging over £8 for 20 B&H the other day - even whistlestop was cheaper at £7.50 odd :p at Edinburgh Waverley Station.

I have written to them to ask why they charge such a premium on cigarettes,much higher than on any other product.

Will let you all know what their response is.

Sailrail it to Calais then, 1k of GV for less than £90 and less than £50 in total for my train tickets. ::)

Sent from my Motorola Xoom
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Has anybody ever bought any of the £1 offers from WHS?

I took a Chocolate Orange once.

As mentioned above, Boots is normally substantially cheaper than WHSmith. Relatively few stations have Boots, but almost all airports do :)
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
They quite regularly run half price five pack of chewits, 87p for 5 rolls, when you consider the sale price of an individual pack I find that a very good offer.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,837
Location
Stirlingshire
They quite regularly run half price five pack of chewits, 87p for 5 rolls, when you consider the sale price of an individual pack I find that a very good offer.

Shame they can't run a promotion......

We'll sell cigarettes for the normal price :p
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,837
Location
Stirlingshire
G'day

Try here :

http://www.tobacco.net.au/benson-hedges-20s-classic-red.html

$61.98 (£41.00) for 200 incl postage.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Nice thought but by the time UK Customs have finished adding their "cut" your savings would be minimal. Outfits in the EU run similar schemes. The cheapest price I know of in Europe for a quality brand is Gibraltar £1.80 per packet Rothmans International , thats Duty Free. In the normal shops bensons are about £2 odd a packet :p
 

Tim B

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2011
Messages
59
Location
London NW6
And 88p for a pack of polos ! 50p or 60p from almost any other retail outlet (even those small kiosks within underground stations). This mockery of their customers makes me so incensed at WH Smiths that it has made me avoid all their stores on principle. Sorry, rant now over .....
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,924
Location
UK
I stopped buying stuff from WH Smith (except when I had no choice) years ago. My local one is such a mess, trying to do mags, papers, books and toys and stationery - but it's all over the place. I even remember when they tried to sell prepay mobiles once, and had boxes stacked up on the floor, behind other point of sale stands - as if they didn't have a clue how to sell anything.

And, when it comes to magazines, they take a nice cut from the magazines they put on the shelves - which are indeed sale or return. If you want a good position, or a promotion, you can pay thousands. And if you want to stay in the shops, you must do some promotions or they'll threaten to kick you out... rather like some supermarkets!

Even if you decide to support your local independent newsagent, or perhaps a supermarket, to buy your papers and mags - stick around to see who distributes to them. Chances are, oh look, WH Smith!

As mag sales continue to fall, I do think WH Smith will one day disappear - or have to radically change its strategy.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Nice thought but by the time UK Customs have finished adding their "cut" your savings would be minimal. Outfits in the EU run similar schemes. The cheapest price I know of in Europe for a quality brand is Gibraltar £1.80 per packet Rothmans International , thats Duty Free. In the normal shops bensons are about £2 odd a packet :p

Gibraltar and the Canary Islands are apparently popular for "cigarette runs" due to the tax. I'm sure you know that though! :lol:

Anyway, I still hate the 'WHSmith experience' in any station or airport, it's usually busy with long queues and the prices are often sky high for anything that doesn't have a set price (newspapers/magazines).

It's good that stations like Manchester Piccadilly have Sainsbury's and M&S which usually undercut them (yes!).
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,098
Location
At home or at the pub
I don't go into WH Smiths at Rail stations unless i'm buying a paper, complete ripp off, there's a Boots at most main line stations which charge nearer high street prices for drinks ecc, if i need to buy a drink. I expect a mark up for drinks ecc at Stations but not what Smiths charge.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
I don't go into WH Smiths at Rail stations unless i'm buying a paper, complete ripp off, there's a Boots at most main line stations which charge nearer high street prices for drinks ecc, if i need to buy a drink. I expect a mark up for drinks ecc at Stations but not what Smiths charge.

I agree, most travellers are not naive, they expect a mark up from the high street on some products, but not to the extent of WHSmith, who have been charging 2-3 times 'normal shop prices' on bottled water for example.

Boots have more sensible prices. The limited amount of supermarkets in stations also seem to keep their prices closer to the high street.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
I stopped buying stuff from WH Smith (except when I had no choice) years ago. My local one is such a mess, trying to do mags, papers, books and toys and stationery - but it's all over the place. I even remember when they tried to sell prepay mobiles once, and had boxes stacked up on the floor, behind other point of sale stands - as if they didn't have a clue how to sell anything.

And, when it comes to magazines, they take a nice cut from the magazines they put on the shelves - which are indeed sale or return. If you want a good position, or a promotion, you can pay thousands. And if you want to stay in the shops, you must do some promotions or they'll threaten to kick you out... rather like some supermarkets!

Even if you decide to support your local independent newsagent, or perhaps a supermarket, to buy your papers and mags - stick around to see who distributes to them. Chances are, oh look, WH Smith!

As mag sales continue to fall, I do think WH Smith will one day disappear - or have to radically change its strategy.


Jack of all trades and master of none.




Gibraltar and the Canary Islands are apparently popular for "cigarette runs" due to the tax. I'm sure you know that though! :lol:

How much is a sailral ticket?

Sent from my Motorola Xoom
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
A bit too far for sailrail, they're both a 3-4 plane ride away.;) They're both outside the EU (technically) too, so there are 'certain allowances'. Not that I'm bothered, I don't smoke.....

Yep very true, I just couldn't find the appropriate smiley on the tablet earlier.
 

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,169
Location
Reading
Even if you decide to support your local independent newsagent, or perhaps a supermarket, to buy your papers and mags - stick around to see who distributes to them. Chances are, oh look, WH Smith!

In fairness, the two companies parted ways a few years back. The wholesale operation now trades as Smiths News PLC, and is independent of WHSmith PLC (Retail / Travel). Also, the wholesale split in the UK is roughly 60% Smiths News and 40% Menzies Distribution (since Dawson News went bust in 2009).
 

Eeveevolve

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2011
Messages
121
Sainsbury's Local/extra/shop in Leeds station has the cheapest Cigarettes in the City. Its where I get my fix from.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,837
Location
Stirlingshire
Reply from WHS.......

"Our airport and station stores are open longer to accommodate the needs of commuters and have higher rents and operational costs due to the prime locations in which they are situated. These costs are reflected in our pricing as is the convenience we offer our customers by being open whenever you need us"

"Our prices compare favourably to other food and drink retailers in similar locations and we regulary offer promotions including "3 for 2" and "buy one get one free"on a variety of other products to offer our customers great deals and excellent value."

My Observations:

1. Tesco and other 24 hour stores charge no extra for the convenience of being open longer hours than WHS.

2. Rents must vary on normal outlets ie London, Edinburgh, York High Streets but prices are the same as Dudley Falkirk or Swansea. A prime high street store must be as high a rent as a Railway Station or Airport. I would imagine they have deals with Network Rail/ BAA to save money due to the multitude of outlets.

3. Where Tesco operate at Airports their prices are comprable to Express Outlets - higher than Big store but nowhere near WHS prices - certainly for fags at least.

I don't think I'll waste a stamp ...at least they replied.:p
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Well there is a contradiction there; yes Tesco Express do charge more but that is because of the convenience factor.

I do wish WHS would understand that when I an boarding a plane to Manchester I do not require 2 bottles of water at £2 or 1 bottle at £1.80 ish. I do intact require a bottle at aprox £1 which is considalby more than one would pay in most other places.

Also I find that in High Street WHS's when an item is on sale it tend to he roughly the same price as other stores that don't have a sale on.

Sent from my HTC Desire S
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,098
Location
At home or at the pub
Reply from WHS.......

"Our airport and station stores are open longer to accommodate the needs of commuters and have higher rents and operational costs due to the prime locations in which they are situated. These costs are reflected in our pricing as is the convenience we offer our customers by being open whenever you need us"

"Our prices compare favourably to other food and drink retailers in similar locations and we regulary offer promotions including "3 for 2" and "buy one get one free"on a variety of other products to offer our customers great deals and excellent value."

What a load of nonsense that letter from WHS is, WHS prices do not compare favorably with other retailers at Stations & Airports, WHS prices are way OTT when you compare it to other stores at Stations & Airports, WHS are a rip off even 2 for the price of one offers are ridiculously priced. I don't care that WHS are a British company, it's i find there pricing barmy, & as i've already said i expect a bit of a mark up at Stations & Airports, but not to the extent of what WHS charge
 

WillPS

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Messages
2,431
Location
Nottingham
The solution to me is abundantly clear: don't shop there. If you have the choice, go elsewhere - if you find yourself in a situation where they're the only choice then either suck it up or go without.
 

Terrafire

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
74
Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but price-conscious consumers at Birmingham New Street should head straight up the escalator to Pallasades to find an unreconstructed 70s shopping centre at unreconstructed 90s prices :D . For now, at least... I imagine the 'redevelopment' will ruin my chance of getting a 66p Greggs sausage roll from a major railway station!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top