• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains East Coast launch day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joshrowlands

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2014
Messages
102
Location
Stoke on Trent
The thing is, as Stagecoach consistently prove, it's possible to be unsubtle, while remaining attractive and sympathetic to your stock. This is neither.

I suspect part of this branding is designed to make the current stock look bad and old. Then when the 800's come into service with an attractive livery they will appear to be even better. When you think how classy the 91s/Mk4s used to look in GNER livery, and compare that to this new look, it's quite obvious they haven't even attempted to make the stock look good.
Are you referring to stagecoach's East midland Trains livery? I think it's boring and no meaning to it. People know Virgin for its striking red and when it comes to trains they expect the same I honestly think this has done the rolling stock a world of good they looked so drowt and miserable in that horrid boring grey livery.

This has made them stand out, like you know when a Virgin train is in the station, Striking and bold. Anyway it's not about the livery it's about the service right? Let's hope they can beat East coast's amazing reputation
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,124
Location
Redcar
If 1S13 keeps up its current pace it should be in York around 8 minutes early it passed Grantham 4 minutes early and current predictions are Doncaster 12:24 6 mins early and York at 12:42 8 minutes early

It'll get caught up either around Doncaster or just before York and will arrive on time or a just a minute or two early at York I'd bet.
 

45669

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
1,081
Location
Farnborough.
The thing is, as Stagecoach consistently prove, it's possible to be unsubtle, while remaining attractive and sympathetic to your stock. This is neither.

I suspect part of this branding is designed to make the current stock look bad and old. Then when the 800's come into service with an attractive livery they will appear to be even better. When you think how classy the 91s/Mk4s used to look in GNER livery, and compare that to this new look, it's quite obvious they haven't even attempted to make the stock look good.

The GNER livery looked a bit drab when they took the branding off :

RD2761. HST at Peterborough. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

RD2762. NXEC HST at Peterborough. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr
 

Aldaniti

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2009
Messages
668
It was designed by http://www.best-impressions.co.uk who have designed most stagecoach liveries. The designer Ray Stenning always seems to understand the lines of vehicles and I think this works.

What? They actually paid someone to come up with that? I thought it was the work of the kids who operate the Virgin Twitter account on a day off. You live and learn. :lol:
 

fairysdad

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2010
Messages
960
Location
London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
I reckon the locos have far too much red on them, which is probably what makes it a bit garish. I quite like the stripe denoting First Class, although it wasn't until I read more on here that I realised that is what it was doing; I just thought it was a purple stripe.

From my (albeit rather limited) experience with graphic design, I'd say that although a strong company was used to design the livery (assuming johnw is correct at the top of this page saying that it was Best Impressions), they are limited to what the client tells them to do, so when VTEC went to them and told them to design them a livery, they were probably told to use a lot of red so they had to. Given those constraints it's not too bad.

The coaches look good though, and at least they don't have those godawful striped doors that plague VWCs trains.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,650
Location
Hampshire
On the other hand, this does look like a cross between the old virgin livery and the Stagecoach-East Midlands Trains livery, particularly the coach running numbers.

Which looks better? This...

med_gallery_7862_1977_129237.jpg


... or this?

B_FdBcjWkAEjYB0.jpg:large


For me, it's the pretendalino by a country mile.

Same! The Pretendolino Looked classy, it looked smart, It suited the Virgin brand perfectly. This I can't like. I just don't get the point of adding in the extra swirls, the fadey bits. In fact, it looks like an amateur Virgin / National Express hybrid with the black window frames and the Red end stripes. 3/10 I think. And if this is a Best Impressions design, I think Ray Stenning really is loosing touch - a lot of his designs are becoming rather 'samey' as it is.


I'm getting fed up of TOCs not using the standard yellow stripe. Time for DfT to insist?

Neil

Virgin not using the first class yellow stripe again? Funny, I remember a situation around 10 years ago with the Voyagers and a certain 'Club Class'.
 

47802

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
3,454
OMG that's unbelievable, unbelievably dire that is, it gives new meaning to the word tasteless.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,650
Location
Hampshire
It is however present on the Voyagers now (but not the Pendolinos).

Neil

I know, But it was Virgin's thing at the time where they didn't believe that the 'customer' wanted First Class, they wanted Virgin's Club Class. So of course they dropped the stripe, and 1 stickers and branded it all Club Class. Eventually, was it complaints or pressure from the passengers that brought the return of the 1 and the Yellow stripe on VXC?

But I think this livery is far too busy. Too many angles, too many curves, the fadey bits, and disappointingly the ruined sleekness of the 91/82s cab end. If only at least the cab had the Pretendolino's Silver Light Cluster/Band. The front looks like it want's to join a DB Service.
 

chris89

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2009
Messages
1,372
Location
Somewhere
I rather like the VTEC Livery.

Of course shows off the Virgin Branding, but different enough any person should be able to tell the difference between the VTEC and VTWC services. Especially at places like Edinburgh.

Of course though prefer the livery on the VTWC.

Chris
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,762
Location
Yorkshire
I notice that the 1st class lounge at Kings X makes it clears tickets only valid from Euston will not be accepted.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
I for one think the new livery is very smart. Looks good, and suits the stock perfectly. Will be interesting to see it on a HST though!

I remember the East Coast livery on the MK4s was pretty bland, but on the HSTs it looked smart and very functional. There wasn't a lot going on in it, which I think suits a HST more. MK4s I think, need to have more going on in their livery.

Is there only the one full repainted rake whilst others get done?
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
Why? How many average punters know that a yellow stripe denotes First Class?

The vast majority of people know First Class is First Class because the coaches have either the exact words or a massive "1" on them.

Of course most punters probably don't know, but you can of course tell them!

And many trains don't have massive '1's on them either. In fact, some rolling stock liveries don't make first class clear, or also where the accessible carriage/doors are.

It should/could be something the DfT made happen across the board, rather than leaving it down to designers who would probably rather such things didn't spoil their designs. Contrasting doors IS a requirement, so can't be ignored.
 

aylesbury

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
622
Nothing wrong with new livery bright recognisable and Best Impressions are the finest transport livery company in the UK .Watched as the unit when through York today and it was most impressive compared to the rather boring previous livery .
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
Last edited:

tomuk

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
2,009

For comparison with the original.

91002%20BN%204-88%20Treflyn%20Flickr.jpg


I think it's fine for a launch livery but I would prefer a simpler version across the fleet. No gradients. Remove the purple on first class coaches. Cab front similar to original 91 livery. ie wraparound black window. nor red on cab front above headlights.
 

Saint66

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2013
Messages
826
Location
Herts
Just departed KX on my first Virgin Trains EC service to Leeds (The first of many, I'm sure!) and interestingly the large poster at the end of the carriage by the door is one which says 'Still flying the Scotsman' along with some smaller text I cannot read from here.

Over the PA system the crew leader has also announced that they'll soon be coming through giving every customer a chocolate as a welcome to Virgin Trains. People may dislike them, but I cannot complain about a free bit of chocolate from Virgin Trains. :lol:
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,762
Location
Yorkshire
Just departed KX on my first Virgin Trains EC service to Leeds (The first of many, I'm sure!) and interestingly the large poster at the end of the carriage by the door is one which says 'Still flying the Scotsman' along with some smaller text I cannot read from here.

Over the PA system the crew leader has also announced that they'll soon be coming through giving every customer a chocolate as a welcome to Virgin Trains. People may dislike them, but I cannot complain about a free bit of chocolate from Virgin Trains. :lol:

No chocolate spotted on the West Riding this morning :(

Does it have a competition on the wrapper?

Glad they seem to have made the seating numbers nice and clear - it's amazing how many people get on the opposite end of the carriage they're reserved in and then fight their way through.
 
Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Ahh the livery isnt all that bad. Itll grow on you
 

Saint66

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2013
Messages
826
Location
Herts
No chocolate spotted on the West Riding this morning :(

Does it have a competition on the wrapper?

Glad they seem to have made the seating numbers nice and clear - it's amazing how many people get on the opposite end of the carriage they're reserved in and then fight their way through.


The wrapper has the website address to visit to enter a Virgin Trains EC competition, and they also announced the competition and some of the prizes over the PA when telling customers about the chocolate.
 

fairysdad

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2010
Messages
960
Location
London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Those photos seem to show it in a much better light (literally!). Still think the red is too overpowering though, but as red is Virgin's colour scheme, then it can't really be anything else. (I don't like SWT's red livery either, luckily I don't usually see it other than on the approach to Waterloo!)

Will possibly look better on an HST given that a 43 is more curved than the 90s (the same as the Pendolino livery looks better on those than it does on the Pretendolino).
 

Aldaniti

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2009
Messages
668
For comparison with the original.

91002%20BN%204-88%20Treflyn%20Flickr.jpg


I think it's fine for a launch livery but I would prefer a simpler version across the fleet. No gradients. Remove the purple on first class coaches. Cab front similar to original 91 livery. ie wraparound black window. nor red on cab front above headlights.

Ah, the original IC livery. Bold (at least for the times) yet smart - and never bettered.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,762
Location
Yorkshire
The wrapper has the website address to visit to enter a Virgin Trains EC competition, and they also announced the competition and some of the prizes over the PA when telling customers about the chocolate.

They were handing them out in the First Class Lounge this morning.

That was the busiest I've ever seen it. There was a press conference with (I believe) the CEO of VTEC and the Transport Minister.

Unfortunately I couldn't stay long.
 

driver_m

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2011
Messages
2,248
How long before someone photoshops a pendo or voyager in those colours?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top