• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Employee Travel Perks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred26

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2010
Messages
1,107
He doesn't have to know what's in their contract. He's just saying that in theory he has no problem with staff using their contracted perks but if staff were getting free travel they weren't entitled to, then that's the issue. Whether he knows what's in their contracts or not is irrelevant. :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---



You're completely missing the point, for God's sake!! Your analogy with walking into Asda to get a 10% discount that employees are entitled to is not the same as staff getting free travel that they're NOT entitiled to. Nobody has a problem with staff getting free travel if it's in their contract and they're entitled to. Why is this so difficult to understand? :roll:

You won't win, mate. This isn't going to stop going round in circles.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
You won't win, mate. This isn't going to stop going round in circles.

all this griping is getting pathetic, so i'll make it clear then I have finished with this forum until some actual "Railway" employees turn up!

This is the way it is, always has been, always will be (except for a very small minority)

Deal with it

There are so many more important things in the world, like whats for dinner?

get over it

end of


That feels better
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,513
Maybe if the perks were actually as good as people are making out then we would't need to attempt to blag it. A PRIV return Manchester to Euston is roughly the same (off top of my head) as a Off Peak Return full fare between the two points (before anyone says yes but you can travel anytime so can most people with most railcards) and its the same on many routes into the capital.
Until we get equal rights to travel agents who get PRIV on any ticket (used to also happen with National Rail Enquiries staff before they moved to India) then this practice can continue. Also for what its worth I have on occasion helped the XC TM out in first class when for no reason no FCH has turned up and before the advent of COLIN I have placed food orders for the trolley as an ex employee of XC catering crew, if I had to pay there would be no chance of me doing it and I'd be asleep.
 

ukrob

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2009
Messages
1,810
I assume you still haven't got the point then. People aren't saying that staff shouldn't have free travel that they are entitled to. It can't be put any more simple than that - I personally can only conclude that you are deliberately ignoring the point.

Your attitude shows many of the problems with the rail industry in my opinion. And yes, I am 'staff'. But I don't need to be to give an opinion.
 

Striker

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
503
all this griping is getting pathetic, so i'll make it clear then I have finished with this forum until some actual "Railway" employees turn up!

This is the way it is, always has been, always will be (except for a very small minority)

Deal with it

There are so many more important things in the world, like whats for dinner?

get over it

end of


That feels better

What a completely idiotic attitude. :roll:
 

Mr Spock

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2008
Messages
608
What a completely idiotic attitude. :roll:

Expected nothing else from him as he seems to think that the railways are there more for the staff than passengers.

Does not seem to understand that he has a contract that allows him a certain amount of free and cheap travel but that he should be able to travel free all the time.

He even makes some sarcastic comment about getting a discount from Asda so why does he feel that rail staff should always get "free" travel rather than reduced rate travel.
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,513
The point is we dont always get discounted travel, use my example again Manchester to London £66.20 SVR, PRIV return £65.50 a whole 70p discount, then you have the whole advance booking.mullarkey. Its slightly better from York s its £55.75 as opposed to £83.70 but still higher than what a lot of passengers will pay on that train. Its actually cheaper to get a PRIV on Eurostar than it is to travel domestic into the capital. If we got a discount on all walk on fares then we might ask less Again it would only be the same as what rail appointed travel agents get in discount and may tempt more staff to travel instead of driving.

I can see why people aren't happy but its not going to change my outlook, a member of railstaff is more useful to me (and thats not just TOC staff, goes for signallers and BTP) in case of trouble than a normal passenger, thats not saying passengers arent important as they pay our wages at the end of the day
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
all this griping is getting pathetic, so i'll make it clear then I have finished with this forum until some actual "Railway" employees turn up!

This is the way it is, always has been, always will be (except for a very small minority)

Deal with it

There are so many more important things in the world, like whats for dinner?

get over it

end of


That feels better

Which probably sums up the 'living in the past' attitude of some in the industry! Strange how it's one railway in some respects but when it comes to (for example) holding passenger's train connections.... :roll:
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,513
Going OT but don't start me on that. They dont hold it even for staff booked on services, 1 service we have on a night has us travelling PASS on another TOC with a 6 minute connection and assist on our last service back home, if we are late they wont hold it for us and any other passengers leading to a hour long detour
 

Mr Spock

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2008
Messages
608
The point is we dont always get discounted travel, use my example again Manchester to London £66.20 SVR, PRIV return £65.50 a whole 70p discount, then you have the whole advance booking.mullarkey. Its slightly better from York s its £55.75 as opposed to £83.70 but still higher than what a lot of passengers will pay on that train. Its actually cheaper to get a PRIV on Eurostar than it is to travel domestic into the capital. If we got a discount on all walk on fares then we might ask less Again it would only be the same as what rail appointed travel agents get in discount and may tempt more staff to travel instead of driving.

I can see why people aren't happy but its not going to change my outlook, a member of railstaff is more useful to me (and thats not just TOC staff, goes for signallers and BTP) in case of trouble than a normal passenger, thats not saying passengers arent important as they pay our wages at the end of the day

I agree about the priv rate on full price only which as you say makes the ticket not much cheaper than normals pay should be changed.

Do not see why you giving rail staff free travel on your train should make them more inclined to assist in an emergency as they are professionals and I would hope that they would make them themselves available if required.
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,513
But it won't, reminds me of an incident where a guard charged a off duty BTP special constabule (fully fledged BTP get free travel whenever on our TOC) he later required police assistance and the BTP member of staff refused to help. Again as I mentionned earlier I've helped out in first class on my ex TOC I wouldnt do that if I had to pay full whack
 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
But it won't, reminds me of an incident where a guard charged a off duty BTP special constabule (fully fledged BTP get free travel whenever on our TOC) he later required police assistance and the BTP member of staff refused to help. Again as I mentionned earlier I've helped out in first class on my ex TOC I wouldnt do that if I had to pay full whack

People if you are good with them they (usually) are good to you back, doesn;t matter about being "professional" I would always help out staff (as long as I hadn't had any alcohol) (with alcohol holds dire consequences)

every depot has the same people who get assaulted every few months..why?

because they are so set in their minds about the "rules" nothing else matters

common sense usually prevails

anyway back on topic

the furthest I have ever gone "free" was shropshire (approx 80 miles from where I am) I asked the XC guard who was more than obliging and then an Arriva Guard who was the same, if the situation was reversed I would do the same, I very rarely use the train off work but when I do, I will always ask, for this horrible Crime against Humanity may I hang my head in shame!

btw I always give Police Free Travel and when I have needed them they have ALWAYS been superb, they deserve it even more than Rail staff (mostly)
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Going OT but don't start me on that. They dont hold it even for staff booked on services, 1 service we have on a night has us travelling PASS on another TOC with a 6 minute connection and assist on our last service back home, if we are late they wont hold it for us and any other passengers leading to a hour long detour

At least in that respect people are treated equally!
 

Mr Spock

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2008
Messages
608
But it won't, reminds me of an incident where a guard charged a off duty BTP special constabule (fully fledged BTP get free travel whenever on our TOC) he later required police assistance and the BTP member of staff refused to help. Again as I mentionned earlier I've helped out in first class on my ex TOC I wouldnt do that if I had to pay full whack

I thought BTP are allowed to travel free on all Toc's which I assumed would have included specials (also understood that ordinary police staff are allowed free travel). Even after being charged I would have expected the special to help after all isn't that what he is all about?
 

Legzr1

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2010
Messages
581
I've obviously touched a nerve here :lol:

On the contrary,it's you (and your friends) that are continuing to flog a dead horse.

I understand - you're all on the outside and want in,all these 'perks' are winding you up.

Well,there's a simple answer - pay your way and be happy.

Just remember to mind your own business in future (else you risk finding out about others getting things you don't...)

I've said it before,it all smacks of sour grapes (and a little envy if I'm not mistaken)
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,513
Nope BTP only get free travel on duty on most TOCs, off duty they have to usually pay full price. On my TOC full time BTP get free travel at all times, specials have to pay for off-duty travel.

The train should be held for everyone on the one I mentionned as its the last direct train without needing a detour
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
edit. Normal police are only entitled to free travel in uniform and on duty, off duty they are the same as specials however the Met get discount / free travel in a certain distance in the South East
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
Nope BTP only get free travel on duty on most TOCs, off duty they have to usually pay full price. On my TOC full time BTP get free travel at all times, specials have to pay for off-duty travel.

The train should be held for everyone on the one I mentionned as its the last direct train without needing a detour
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
edit. Normal police are only entitled to free travel in uniform and on duty, off duty they are the same as specials however the Met get discount / free travel in a certain distance in the South East

The BTP i know get issued with residential passes, is it different for new entrants?
 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
On the contrary,it's you (and your friends) that are continuing to flog a dead horse.

I understand - you're all on the outside and want in,all these 'perks' are winding you up.

Well,there's a simple answer - pay your way and be happy.

Just remember to mind your own business in future (else you risk finding out about others getting things you don't...)

I've said it before,it all smacks of sour grapes (and a little envy if I'm not mistaken)

well said!!
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,060
Location
Reston City Centre
there's a simple answer - pay your way and be happy

Oh, the irony... :roll:

As i've said, some Guards are perfectly happy to apply the rules when they want ("more than my job's worth..."), but happy to ignore the rules and let their mates travel for free.

In any other industry, breaching the rules like this would be a disciplinary offence, but there is still an element of staff stuck in the 1970s.

It's a shame, because there are a lot of good professionals doing really difficult jobs in the face of a lot of public intolerance. But some bad apples give them a bad name. Shame.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I assume you still haven't got the point then. People aren't saying that staff shouldn't have free travel that they are entitled to. It can't be put any more simple than that - I personally can only conclude that you are deliberately ignoring the point.

Your attitude shows many of the problems with the rail industry in my opinion. And yes, I am 'staff'. But I don't need to be to give an opinion.

Precisely.

If your contract allows you "x" free journeys a year then fair enough. But no other industry would allow people to abuse the system by giving freebies to their pals like this.

As mentioned earlier, I used to be a Football Steward. Going to away games I wouldn't dream of asking to get in for free as a Steward, and nor would I let other people into the ground I worked in for nothing.
 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
Oh, the irony... :roll:

As i've said, some Guards are perfectly happy to apply the rules when they want ("more than my job's worth..."), but happy to ignore the rules and let their mates travel for free.

In any other industry, breaching the rules like this would be a disciplinary offence, but there is still an element of staff stuck in the 1970s.

It's a shame, because there are a lot of good professionals doing really difficult jobs in the face of a lot of public intolerance. But some bad apples give them a bad name. Shame.

in my whole railway career I have never had a complaint that was upheld
and on more occasions than I can count I have gone out of my way to help passengers on their Journey, luckily most passengers actually respect traincrew, sadly a few here should learn from them!
 

barrykas

Established Member
Joined
19 Sep 2006
Messages
1,579
A PRIV return Manchester to Euston is roughly the same (off top of my head) as a Off Peak Return full fare between the two points (before anyone says yes but you can travel anytime so can most people with most railcards) and its the same on many routes into the capital.

And a PRIV Return from London to Manchester Airport is MORE than the Off-Peak Return (and moreso from 2nd January).

Current: SVR London Terminals - Manchester Airport: £66.20, SOR: £265.00, PRIV SOR: £66.25

New: SVR: £70.00, SOR: £283.00, PRIV SOR: £70.75

One thing I have noticed in NFM08, however, is that EMT are putting the "route Chesterfield" SORs from London to Manchester (and Manchester Airport) DOWN in January, from £225 (£56.25 PRIV) to £196 (£49.00 PRIV).

Cheers,

Barry
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
YOU travel on a train - YOU pay the price of the ticket - YOU get to your destination.

Anything else is none of your concern.

Thank you for your input, I shall no longer point out to the guard people hiding to avoid paying, since it's not my concern.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
New: SVR: £70.00, SOR: £283.00, PRIV SOR: £70.75

My god, a whole 75p more to be able to travel in the peak as opposed to £213 more for everyone else! Oh the injustice!
 
Last edited:

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
Thank you for your input, I shall no longer point out to the guard people hiding to avoid paying, since it's not my concern.

Please keep doing so, I do like the look their faces when they have been caught.

and to be honest looking at your posts I don't think you would let scroates get away with something like that
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thank you for your input, I shall no longer point out to the guard people hiding to avoid paying, since it's not my concern.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


My god, a whole 75p more to be able to travel in the peak as opposed to £213 more for everyone else! Oh the injustice!

And people wonder WHY we do what we do??
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,513
My god, a whole 75p more to be able to travel in the peak as opposed to £213 more for everyone else! Oh the injustice!

What if we are travelling at the weekend, Virgin also allow railcard holders to travel through the peak too.
 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
Nobody is criticising you for this. They're just pointing out that you don't have discretion to decide who pays and who doesn't, that's all ;)

actually we do

If a pax buys a ticket for £10.70 and they only have £10 we take the £10

if a person UNDER 18 has no money we can't force it from them so they travel (with a short report going into control)

there are actually lots of ways we decide who pays and who doesn't

its just not anywhere near as clear cut as you like to think
 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
That is phrased in a way that is saying you know what you are doing is wrong (which of course, technically, it is).

Its certainly Morally RIGHT and 99% of Train Crew would agree

without going over the same old arguments its very clear cut

Railways agree

Non Railway Don't

(give or take a small percentage either way)

that won't change

SO as we are all sticking by the rules

from tomorrow

EVERYONE WHO GETS ON MY TRAIN WITHOUT BUYING A TICKET FROM AN OPEN BOOKING OFFICE WILL BE SDS no arguments

Now would that keep everyone happy or is it ok bending rules for pax but not for train staff???
 

ukrob

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2009
Messages
1,810
I would certainly have no problem with that.

I am on the west side of Northern and the number people who choose not to purchase a ticket before boarding is gob-smacking.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top