Bit of a tricky one here
Not wanting to wrongly charge a customer i need a second opinion on this
Customer comes down for the 08:23 EUS - Wolverhampton [WVH] with a Outward portion of an off peak return SOH - MCN with a maltese cross and routed via birmingham. I thought that it wasn't valid until after 09:05 like most north wales tickets but was presented with information to the contrary.
I give the customer the benifit of the doubt and after some digging on AVB i find that it is valid out of south hampstead after 04:15. AVB mentions nothing about restrictions though euston which leads me to belive it is valid but after phoning NRE, im told that its not.
Is it or is it not valid out of Euston before 09:05?
The answer here is the ticket has a ticket restriction code 2T (travel on any train after 0415 M-F)
I happen to be another customer who has been making this journey (and also South Hampstead to Aberystwyth) on an almost weekly basis from June 2009 to July 2010 (present) working on the Cambrian Line resignalling project. My off-peak return tickets normally originate from Machynlleth or Aberystwyth to South Hampstead so I don't think in this instance is was me.
I run into problems at Euston (and occassionally onboard) when catching the 08:43 out of Euston (connecting with 10:09 departure from Birmingham New Street which runs only ever 2 hours).
Whenever I make this journey I usually have to show a letter from virgin customer services apologising for a similar incident in 2009 and confirming the validity.
On 22nd June I was refused boarding on the 08:43 at Euston. The ticket inspectors noticed my letter was dated 2009 and so phoned the team leader to verify it. I produced other journey planners from 2010 showing validity but they insisted I wait. I told them that my connecting train was only every 2 hours and that if I didn't get this train my journey would be delayed by 2 hours. I asked them to verify it on their advantix machine but they didn't listen. I even asked if I could just buy another ticket onboard (as the gates were closing) but they insisted I wait for the team leader to arrive.
The team leader arrived just after the train departed and reviewed my situation. She wasn't convinced so took me up to the main ticket office to consult with further colleagues.
After a few more deliberations I suggested again that they verify for
themselves on their ticketing system and after about 5 mins in the office the Team
Leader came back out to tell me:
1) That what the letter stated was correct and that they therefore would have to (reluctantly) honour it.
2) It's not a normal condition so their staff wouldn't have known about it. It's a loop hole and that I was actually paying much cheaper fare than everyone else (I dont believe this is a valid excuse).
3) That Arriva Trains Wales are continually changing their conditions so staff at Euston can't keep up with it (this is not an acceptable excuse in my opinion).
4) Not all train operating companies have the same software loaded on their Adantix machines (as ATW staff have told me they can check it) and hence Virgin staff at Euston can't verify my claim that my ticket is valid.
5) That she would endorse my ticket for travel on the 0843 train.
6) I should keep that letter, and print the other 2010 letter out and carry those and the endorsed ticket with me for future travels.
7) That she would brief her team to avoid the situation occurring again.
I repeated again to her that I had now been delayed 2 hours (my 4.5hr journey is now 6.5hours) and asked if I put in a claim for compensation which she said I was free to send it in. No further effort was made to offer any additional assistance (eg next train times) or compensation. This activity was concluded at 8:58am, 20 mins after I had first arrived for my train.
I should have complained to her manager on the spot but instead phoned virgin customer services (who have been helpful in the past). They apologised and arranged for me to have free access to the first class lounge and B'ham international so I could work while I waited.
At this time I made way down to Platform 3 to board the 0923 to Wolverhampton. There were ticket inspectors (a different group) and again I was stopped. I explained the situation and that I had just spent 20 mins sorting it out with their team lead. They saw the endorsement on the back of the ticket and asked me why it was valid..... After a few deliberations amongst the team the train manager who was present explained to them his theory on why it was valid and that he could check on his Advantix PDA. While he proceeded to do this the other inspectors had further thoughts and the original inspector then decided to let me go on. I never did find out
from the train manager if he managed to verify it or not.
I have since written a letter of complaint to Virgin Customer Services and am awaiting a response.
Any advice on how to prevent this from occuring again would be much appreciated. (my back up plan would be to buy a ticket just to get on the train and not be left waiting)
The training and attitude of ticket inspectors really needs to change. They always assume the customer is wrong. If in doubt they should check (especially if the customer says they have been told otherwise). Most operators seem to refer to certain trains being OFF-PEAK only, but it's really each individual ticket having different conditions, not the train.
=============
The first time this occurred was in September 2009 when gateline staff at Euston did not believe my ticket was valid. They initially ignored my attempts to explain and show my journey planner printout. After a 2nd opinion they still didn't believe me (they incorrectly said journey planner printout shows all trains not just valid ones even though I had pricing information on it). One inspector agreed to let me on the train if I bought a ticket from the train manager (as the train doors had already closed by this time). Another ticket inspector actually objected to that decision and wanted to make me wait for the next on (which would have meant a 2 hour delay). I tried to explain again the situation to the train manager who also wasn't convinced. She said I could be right but she didn't have time to check it on the computer and told me to take a seat and she would come around later to sell me a ticket. In the end she never came around. I did however write to Virgin to get a letter stating the ticket validity.
My apologies in advance for such a long post - JUST SO FRUATRATING!