I don't know if those two and any others who have lost seats as Labour candidates will return ASAP, but I think many of the independents who have won on the Gaza issue are unlikely to last the full parliament. Either because they have some skeletons in their closet and/or do something outlandish while an MP that forces them to step down early, and/or the current Gaza conflict ends well before the next election and they don't find any will to stay on any longer. I also expect any that do survive to lose the next election, especially if they've been poor local MPs.A real shame to lose Jonathan Ashworth and Thangam Debbonaire, two fantastic members of our shadow cabinet. Hopefully they'll be back in the parliamentary party before too long.
Surely after that thrashing the Tories are telling him to nick offSunak keeps his seat. How long before there's a by-election, though?
If he resigned as leader of the party, it doesn't mean he'd have to resign as an MP too. Plenty of previous PMs have remained in the Commons after election defeat.Surely after that thrashing the Tories are telling him to nick off
= "Father of the House"? (And so presides over the election/re-election of the Speaker of the House of Commons in the new Parliament).Corbyn has held his seat.
He won't be leader by the end of the weekend, possibly the end of today. But it would be quite a move for him to be kicked out of the party and even then he could sit as an independent.Surely after that thrashing the Tories are telling him to nick off
One bit of trivia I'll be interested to see is ... how far will you be able to travel without entering a Tory constituency. One of the extraordinary things in 1997 was that Labour and the LibDems took so many rural Tory seats that - if I recall correctly - it became possible to travel from Lands End to Hull without ever going through any Tory-held seat. And you could go Lands End to John O'Groats if you were willing to cross just one Tory seat (Ryedale in Yorkshire, as I recall). I wonder what the comparable situation will be tomorrow...
Suspect it's the other in the BBC poll for when you subtract the Northern Ireland seats. The alternative would be Galloway which would be less likely
Quite possibly. Peter Bottomley has lost in Worthing West.= "Father of the House"? (And so presides over the election/re-election of the Speaker of the House of Commons in the new Parliament).
I can't think of any MP serving from earlier than 1983, although I haven't a clue who was sworn in first!Quite possibly. Peter Bottomley has lost in Worthing West.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_MPs_by_seniority_(2019–2024)I can't think of any MP serving from earlier than 1983, although I haven't a clue who was sworn in first!
Chester North & Neston (my seat): Labour.
Chester South & Eddisbury: Labour.
Mid Cheshire: Labour.
Runcorn & Helsby: Labour.
Having just woken up, I will answer this one as no one seems to have done so. I think that you still had to pass through one Conservative constituency, which I think was the predecessor to Sunak’s current one.