• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK General Election 2024: The Results & Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
A real shame to lose Jonathan Ashworth and Thangam Debbonaire, two fantastic members of our shadow cabinet. Hopefully they'll be back in the parliamentary party before too long.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Paddy Ashdown's seat (Yeovil) has gone back to the Liberal Democrats.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,389
Chris Philp has hung on for the Conservatives in Croydon South, previous minister for defending the indefensible. Will wonder what his new role is.
 

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
9,213
Location
SE London
Looks very certain now that the LibDems will replace the SNP as the 3rd party in the Commons. LibDems currently on 33 seats, and look likely to go up to about 60-ish, SNP on 4 seats and looking like they'll be on 10 or less.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,543
Location
Taunton or Kent
A real shame to lose Jonathan Ashworth and Thangam Debbonaire, two fantastic members of our shadow cabinet. Hopefully they'll be back in the parliamentary party before too long.
I don't know if those two and any others who have lost seats as Labour candidates will return ASAP, but I think many of the independents who have won on the Gaza issue are unlikely to last the full parliament. Either because they have some skeletons in their closet and/or do something outlandish while an MP that forces them to step down early, and/or the current Gaza conflict ends well before the next election and they don't find any will to stay on any longer. I also expect any that do survive to lose the next election, especially if they've been poor local MPs.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,894
Surely after that thrashing the Tories are telling him to nick off
If he resigned as leader of the party, it doesn't mean he'd have to resign as an MP too. Plenty of previous PMs have remained in the Commons after election defeat.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
Surely after that thrashing the Tories are telling him to nick off
He won't be leader by the end of the weekend, possibly the end of today. But it would be quite a move for him to be kicked out of the party and even then he could sit as an independent.

That being said I can't see him hanging around long. He'll do a David Cameron and stick in Parliament for a few months, perhaps six months at the most, and then slink off.
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Labour have officially won the election. Keir Starmer is the 58th Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,478
Location
Exile or exile
Just a shame that the defeat of Rees-Mogg wasn't 30 seconds earlier, then it would have been the result that gave Labour its 326th seat!
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,040
Location
Up the creek
One bit of trivia I'll be interested to see is ... how far will you be able to travel without entering a Tory constituency. One of the extraordinary things in 1997 was that Labour and the LibDems took so many rural Tory seats that - if I recall correctly - it became possible to travel from Lands End to Hull without ever going through any Tory-held seat. And you could go Lands End to John O'Groats if you were willing to cross just one Tory seat (Ryedale in Yorkshire, as I recall). I wonder what the comparable situation will be tomorrow...

Having just woken up, I will answer this one as no one seems to have done so. I think that you still had to pass through one Conservative constituency, which I think was the predecessor to Sunak’s current one.

Suspect it's the other in the BBC poll for when you subtract the Northern Ireland seats. The alternative would be Galloway which would be less likely

Wouldn’t this have been the Speaker at Chorley?

Well, a good few Conservatives getting their just desserts, but a few surprising Labour losses.
 

Cross City

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2020
Messages
936
Location
Birmingham
Never thought I’d be happy to see somebody lose their job but NE Somerset having a 76% turnout to throw JRM into the long grass has me beaming with joy.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
I wonder how long it'll be until Sunak is booking his one way ticket to California?
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,389
I can't think of any MP serving from earlier than 1983, although I haven't a clue who was sworn in first!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_MPs_by_seniority_(2019–2024)

Edward Leigh is ahead as he has retained Gainsborough and was sworn in before Jeremy Corbyn in 1983.
 
Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
9,213
Location
SE London
Having just woken up, I will answer this one as no one seems to have done so. I think that you still had to pass through one Conservative constituency, which I think was the predecessor to Sunak’s current one.

Well this time round, looking at the BBC's map of results - there are still a lot of gaps where seats have yet to declare, but already you can travel from almost anywhere along the South Coast of Wales to Berwick-upon-Tweed entirely through Labour, LibDem or Plaid Cymru seats.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top