• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
However, realistically there are no Pelaw terminating trains that wait in the sidings long enough that they could be extended as far as Bede. The maximum turnaround time is normally 9 minutes, often less. For your plan to work, you would need to cut a journey in the opposite direction, for example terminating the train at Regent Centre instead of going all the way to Monkseaton.

I did think of that, and I worked it out so that the train that would be sent down towards Bede would become the present day 0823(?) Regent Centre service. I also thought about how it would impact trains heading towards Newcastle from South Gosforth, and I remember when I looked the passenger loadings for that specific service and the service prior aren't heavy and could be displaced onto another Pelaw short service that would already be running.

Personally I wouldn't expect a driver to give an announcement to say they are over-riding a signal. The only time I can think of it happening is when there is a large gap between signals - the train is then limited to a certain speed which could cause a delay between some stations.

If a driver is passing a signal at danger they must make an announcement to tell passengers to remain seated or to hold onto any of the yellow grabrails. If they don't and someone got injured, then they could sue and in today's society that is incredibly likely.

I have noticed quite a lot recently that Pelaw terminators heading towards Newcastle are having to restart at Heworth because they aren't being picked up properly on the signalling systems.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
I have noticed quite a lot recently that Pelaw terminators heading towards Newcastle are having to restart at Heworth because they aren't being picked up properly on the signalling systems.

Do you know what has been up with the signalling system? its been very poor of late

In other news Northern Rail have been sending all of their passengers bound for Sunderland onto the Metro as a freight train has derailed. Must have been before Pelaw which is a sigh of relief!
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
I did think of that, and I worked it out so that the train that would be sent down towards Bede would become the present day 0823(?) Regent Centre service. I also thought about how it would impact trains heading towards Newcastle from South Gosforth, and I remember when I looked the passenger loadings for that specific service and the service prior aren't heavy and could be displaced onto another Pelaw short service that would already be running.

There is an 08.21 service from Pelaw to Regent Centre, which arrives at Pelaw from Regent Centre at 08.13. Takes at least 10 minutes to get from Pelaw to Bede and 10 minutes back plus whatever time is allowed for a turnaround, so again you'd have to be cutting another journey to run this train to Bede.

ModernRailways said:
If a driver is passing a signal at danger they must make an announcement to tell passengers to remain seated or to hold onto any of the yellow grabrails. If they don't and someone got injured, then they could sue and in today's society that is incredibly likely.

As far as I am aware, there is no requirement to do this, which is why it is not often done. During the recent engineering work between Byker and North Shields, all trains from Manors to Byker were over-riding the signal at the end of Manors platform 1 and no announcement was made to ask people to sit down or hold onto handrails.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
There is an 08.21 service from Pelaw to Regent Centre, which arrives at Pelaw from Regent Centre at 08.13. Takes at least 10 minutes to get from Pelaw to Bede and 10 minutes back plus whatever time is allowed for a turnaround, so again you'd have to be cutting another journey to run this train to Bede.

Yes, I believe it was a train around 0753 arriving into Pelaw that was extended down to Bede. I did think of adding another Pelaw service as that was something that could be done.

As far as I am aware, there is no requirement to do this, which is why it is not often done. During the recent engineering work between Byker and North Shields, all trains from Manors to Byker were over-riding the signal at the end of Manors platform 1 and no announcement was made to ask people to sit down or hold onto handrails.

I'm not sure about over-riding a signal, but if a (faulty) signal is passed at danger I'm fairly sure they have to make an announcement. Maybe if it's a planned signal pass due to engineering works etc. then they don't have to, but if it's unplanned, (for example leaves on the line :p) then they make the announcement?
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Yes, I believe it was a train around 0753 arriving into Pelaw that was extended down to Bede. I did think of adding another Pelaw service as that was something that could be done.

Can't find a 07.53 service, there is one arriving at 07.50 but that turns around quickly to form a 07.57 service. From what I can see the longest turnaround time is 9 minutes during the peak.



ModernRailways said:
I'm not sure about over-riding a signal, but if a (faulty) signal is passed at danger I'm fairly sure they have to make an announcement. Maybe if it's a planned signal pass due to engineering works etc. then they don't have to, but if it's unplanned, (for example leaves on the line :p) then they make the announcement?

I've only heard an announcement made twice when a signal was being over-rode. First time there was a problem between East Boldon and Brockley Whins, so the driver announced that there would be a delay due to passing the signal and being limited to a reduced speed of 30 kph. Obviously the distance between the two is such that going at under half the normal linespeed means it takes ages.

Second one was a similar incident at West Monkseaton, towards Shiremoor. Driver apologised that the train would be running slowly due to signal problems. As far as I am aware, all the driver needs to do is sound the horn, over-ride the signal and proceed at the reduced speed.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
No trains are currently operating between Wallsend and Tynemouth. A train has caught fire - possibly like the previous times?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can't find a 07.53 service, there is one arriving at 07.50 but that turns around quickly to form a 07.57 service. From what I can see the longest turnaround time is 9 minutes during the peak.

I've only heard an announcement made twice when a signal was being over-rode. First time there was a problem between East Boldon and Brockley Whins, so the driver announced that there would be a delay due to passing the signal and being limited to a reduced speed of 30 kph. Obviously the distance between the two is such that going at under half the normal linespeed means it takes ages.

Second one was a similar incident at West Monkseaton, towards Shiremoor. Driver apologised that the train would be running slowly due to signal problems. As far as I am aware, all the driver needs to do is sound the horn, over-ride the signal and proceed at the reduced speed.

I believe the timetable has changed since I did my version. The train I took out heading towards Newcastle was lightly loaded and the train heading into Newcastle was full seated capacity, but varied quite wildly and it seemed to depend on what time people got to the station more than people going for that specific service.


As for the signal thing, I have no idea now. I was told by a driver friend that whenever they pass a signal at danger they must make an announcement otherwise a passenger could sue if they were to be injured. It may have changed though as Metro seem to very anti-announcements now.



There was a small section on the BBC Look North lunchtime news about the fire with Sharon Belly giving the usual PR of how trains are completely safe etc. This is now the 4th time in 2 years this has happened now? It was an unrefurbished train from what I've seen and hopefully the RAIB will be investigating - they are already up here too since there was the derailment at Heworth yesterday.
 
Last edited:

hacman

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2011
Messages
503
There was a small section on the BBC Look North lunchtime news about the fire with Sharon Belly giving the usual PR of how trains are completely safe etc. This is now the 4th time in 2 years this has happened now? It was an unrefurbished train from what I've seen and hopefully the RAIB will be investigating - they are already up here too since there was the derailment at Heworth yesterday.

If it's the same cause as the other incidents that have already been investigated, some uncomfortable conversations are going to take place within Nexus and DB.

3/4 incidents of this nature in the last 2 years, in addition to an increase in 'trap and drag' incidents - Metro is a small railway, and keeping these kind of things in check shouldn't present a challenge.

It will be very interesting indeed to see the result of the investigation.

Interesting that Metro were referring to this as a "Police incident" all morning, until passengers called them out on it. From that point onwards the real reason of "failed train" was used. Communication during disruption is something they need to seriously work on.

The travel status section of the Nexus site still said "no disruptions" until a Twitter user pointed it out!

Jon
 

Scott M

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2014
Messages
398
Absolutely ****ing pathetic this morning.

#1 it is a total joke how many trains are catching fire. Is this metro system actually safe? It seems not long now until a passenger death

#2 effectively lying that it was an 'emergency services' incident until others called them out on it. Yes strictly speaking it was true, as the fire brigade was in attendance, but they knew exactly what they were doing: they were hoping people would interpret it as a police incident. Total lack of integrity

Also personally I also wouldn't expect an announcement before passing a signal at danger, and thank you for the responses regarding the Hylton-Sunderland section of track. I had noticed the 3 aspect signalling, makes more sense now.

Looks like 4002 was the train that caught fire, judging by this photo... (only train with the yellow livery)

https://twitter.com/MJ_Marsh/status/525559626377736192/photo/1
 
Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Well its a truly sad state of affairs, once again our fantastic system has had a bloop. I don't think it was 4002 I believe it was 4003 4027 pairing with 27 being the burner.

This incident bares resemblance as you say to the other LB1 and arc issues we've had but it was partially down to the protection system at the substation allowing extra current, one encouraging sign is that the OHLE did not snap which may mean it isn't the same issue as past although its probably more than likely, even though I would rather not speculate. Isn't this basically the same place where 4090 had the fire? I think Nexus/DB need to review this immediately, afterall passenger confidence can't stoop much lower?

Also are the MetroCars starting to get their heating turned on now? :P

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/metro-fire-howdon-closes-line-7992050 higher quality images of the MetroCars in question
 
Last edited:

Scott M

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2014
Messages
398
Well its a truly sad state of affairs, once again our fantastic system has had a bloop. I don't think it was 4002 I believe it was 4003 4027 pairing with 27 being the burner.

This incident bares resemblance as you say to the other LB1 and arc issues we've had but it was partially down to the protection system at the substation allowing extra current, one encouraging sign is that the OHLE did not snap which may mean it isn't the same issue as past although its probably more than likely, even though I would rather not speculate. Isn't this basically the same place where 4090 had the fire? I think Nexus/DB need to review this immediately, afterall passenger confidence can't stoop much lower?

Also are the MetroCars starting to get their heating turned on now? :P

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/metro-fire-howdon-closes-line-7992050 higher quality images of the MetroCars in question

Ahh yeah you're right, it's a refurbed!

And whatever it is they need to find the cause and fix it ASAP, as it isn't only passenger confidence that might be low... if it is deemed unsafe a relevant body might put a temporary stop to the system.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Its not a refurbished train? :P

I very much doubt whoever is responsible for the safety of passenger transport on the rail will even be considering this for the Metro, the issues just haven't been big enough and to be fair these incidents have been dealt with quite well by the Nexus/DB team/
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
Well its a truly sad state of affairs, once again our fantastic system has had a bloop. I don't think it was 4002 I believe it was 4003 4027 pairing with 27 being the burner.

This incident bares resemblance as you say to the other LB1 and arc issues we've had but it was partially down to the protection system at the substation allowing extra current, one encouraging sign is that the OHLE did not snap which may mean it isn't the same issue as past although its probably more than likely, even though I would rather not speculate. Isn't this basically the same place where 4090 had the fire? I think Nexus/DB need to review this immediately, afterall passenger confidence can't stoop much lower?

Also are the MetroCars starting to get their heating turned on now? :P

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/metro-fire-howdon-closes-line-7992050 higher quality images of the MetroCars in question

If the rear car was the one with the fire then it would be 4003 which was involved not 4027. Its interesting to see the saloon lights are still on and the the OHL did not part on this occasion which suggests the train motors was still on. Of course whether or not this was the case during the fire we may never know.

I think its too early to talk about if this is another fire with a line breaker case but looking back at the RAIB report on 4052's fire, then this would be the 5th incident in the last 6 years where something like this has occured.
 

Scott M

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2014
Messages
398
Its not a refurbished train? :P

I very much doubt whoever is responsible for the safety of passenger transport on the rail will even be considering this for the Metro, the issues just haven't been big enough and to be fair these incidents have been dealt with quite well by the Nexus/DB team/

Ahh yes My mistake. Was looking at the second pic. :lol:

And I would say one train bursting into flames per year for ~6 years on the bounce is fairly serious in my book. :p Unless that isn't the case and I have mis-interpreted what people are saying.
 
Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Interesting that Metro were referring to this as a "Police incident" all morning, until passengers called them out on it. From that point onwards the real reason of "failed train" was used. Communication during disruption is something they need to seriously work on.

#2 effectively lying that it was an 'emergency services' incident until others called them out on it. Yes strictly speaking it was true, as the fire brigade was in attendance, but they knew exactly what they were doing: they were hoping people would interpret it as a police incident. Total lack of integrity

That's something that got me annoyed! In the Travel Alert emails they send out it said 'There are no trains running between Wallsend and North Shields in both directions until further notice . This is due to a failed train with the emergency services in attendance.' which is fair enough and I commend them for being quite open with that. But that was around 1 hour after the incident and people were already announcing what had actually happened.

The announcer seemed quite apologetic though and as though he was genuinely sorry. But then the ones later in the day just sounded more like he couldn't be bothered.

#1 it is a total joke how many trains are catching fire. Is this metro system actually safe? It seems not long now until a passenger death

Maybe not a death but a more serious incident is indeed looking quite likely and with the refurbished trains being expected to run for another 15 years it's inevitable that something will occur that will injure people. Not one person I have spoke to at Metro believes this refurbishment will last past 10 years (some have even said 7 or so years) let alone the 15+ Nexus want.

This incident bares resemblance as you say to the other LB1 and arc issues we've had but it was partially down to the protection system at the substation allowing extra current, one encouraging sign is that the OHLE did not snap which may mean it isn't the same issue as past although its probably more than likely, even though I would rather not speculate. Isn't this basically the same place where 4090 had the fire? I think Nexus/DB need to review this immediately, afterall passenger confidence can't stoop much lower?

Also are the MetroCars starting to get their heating turned on now? :P

From what I've heard after speaking with a driver, the reason it wasn't more serious was mainly because of how the passengers and then the driver responded to it. Apparently, as soon as there was smoke passengers pulled the emergency brake and then pulled the lever to leave the train and made their way to the front. The driver requested emergency services and then got all passengers onto the front carriage via the cab door before uncoupling and moving away from the affected train. Obviously, this is just what she was told in the mess room by other drivers so should be taken with a grain of salt until there is an official investigation done. She did also say that this didn't look like the previous incidents and looked to have been caused by a different fault.

And yes, trains are getting their heating turned back on. :)

I very much doubt whoever is responsible for the safety of passenger transport on the rail will even be considering this for the Metro, the issues just haven't been big enough and to be fair these incidents have been dealt with quite well by the Nexus/DB team/

Haven't they? There have been 2 this year (maybe 3), and around 1 per year for some time now. They may be dealt with relatively well, but you could argue they haven't been. One train catching fire/smoking is fair enough but when you start getting them on a relatively frequent basis it becomes something slightly more serious.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Hmm lets hope Nexus can get this fixed swiftly.

Todays service once again did not run to timetable due to the awful adhesion and then the 'major police incident' at Gateshead Stadium, does anyone have any more information on that?

I really do think Nexus need to buck their ideas up, during the winter the network becomes as useful as a chocolate fire guard, with trains, points signals failing frequently (I believe South Gosforth points went again today as there was trains backed up from South Gosforth all the way to Jesmond) And not to mention our good old friend the leaves..
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Hmm lets hope Nexus can get this fixed swiftly.

Todays service once again did not run to timetable due to the awful adhesion and then the 'major police incident' at Gateshead Stadium, does anyone have any more information on that?

I really do think Nexus need to buck their ideas up, during the winter the network becomes as useful as a chocolate fire guard, with trains, points signals failing frequently (I believe South Gosforth points went again today as there was trains backed up from South Gosforth all the way to Jesmond) And not to mention our good old friend the leaves..

There was a flare thrown at a train from what I've seen / read. Police were called, trains were delayed until it was sorted. There were still delays this evening, although the women announcing was clearly recorded as she was saying 'Apologies for the delay this afternoon' at 2315 when it's no longer afternoon!

The real reason for the continued delays today was due to the low rail adhesion, lucky for Metro the flare being thrown was the perfect excuse to use though for the remainder of the day though!
 

lgb2100

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2014
Messages
6
With the latest Metro Charter showing reliability at a shocking 80.07%, is it possible to have a list of how this statistic was calculated.

What were previous years results.

Is it possible to know how many disruptions were caused by rail failure, staff shortages, etc...

Are the 'excuses' used the actual reasoning.

The past few days, they have been blaming LRA adhesion (late in the the afternoon) - whereas, Tanoy announcements have been stating train failures.

You cant believe what they are staing now.

IMO - I believe they are using LRA as an excuse, due to poor management
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
80% punctuality is rather good for the Metro, this month will probably be 50%.

In summary the Metro has many issues presented and this month has been a failure, most of the day it is Low Rail Adhesion that is causing the delays, as he trains struggle for any traction throughout the network, then its the failures that occur during the day be they points, signal or train which then means the trains are further off timetable and they cannot catch up as they cannot get anywhere near the max speed. Consequently trains terminate at Bede, Regent Centre and Monkseaton (I saw a Regent Centre terminator on saturday!)

Metro could improve, they could run the old tamper during the day to spray the worst parts of the line, although I question if they even run it at all. Nexus Rail is also in question as their relatively new assets are failing frequently and then the MetroCars themselves can be an issue but recently I believe our trains have been rather reliable compared to earlier in the year.

Regarding the flare man, I hope they throw the full book at him the silly ignorant so and so, apparently it was an Arsenal fan. It added to the delays and literally left huge gaps in the service, with some airport trains not due for a good 20 minutes.

Regarding a success story on the Metro, I'm loving the gatelines they must be having a huge effect on cutting the fare evasion and they seem to be frequently in use everywhere bar South Shields. I'm sure they'll be earning their keep. I wonder if Nexus would be willing to put more gatelines into places such as Regent Centre and Four Lanes Ends if they turn out to be successful, it would have been nice if they could have put them into West Jesmond and South Gosforth but obviously it'll be too costly.
 
Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
With the latest Metro Charter showing reliability at a shocking 80.07%, is it possible to have a list of how this statistic was calculated.

What were previous years results.

Is it possible to know how many disruptions were caused by rail failure, staff shortages, etc...

Are the 'excuses' used the actual reasoning.

The past few days, they have been blaming LRA adhesion (late in the the afternoon) - whereas, Tanoy announcements have been stating train failures.

You cant believe what they are staing now. The next one (4 week period ending 8th November) will be the truly interesting one. It will state the facts and should if the current level of service keeps up bring service levels down to around the 65% mark.

IMO - I believe they are using LRA as an excuse, due to poor management

The latest Passenger charter is correct.

The 'excuse' of LRA is true. The announcements have been pre-recorded and I've noticed aren't being altered later in the day which is why it's often been saying the same problem for the whole day. TBH, I'd much rather an announcement saying the wrong reason than no announcement. I can usually find out the real reason and more often than not what passengers are told is relatively correct.

As for finding out what are the actual levels, you could try a Freedom of Information request.

Staffing levels are low. Around 15 CSA's are off due to illness or other reason like that, 20 have left, and so they are currently down a lot of CSA's meaning staffing is generally down. They are in the process of recruiting for 40 new drivers.

In summary the Metro has many issues presented and this month has been a failure, most of the day it is Low Rail Adhesion that is causing the delays, as he trains struggle for any traction throughout the network, then its the failures that occur during the day be they points, signal or train which then means the trains are further off timetable and they cannot catch up as they cannot get anywhere near the max speed. Consequently trains terminate at Bede, Regent Centre and Monkseaton (I saw a Regent Centre terminator on saturday!)

Metro could improve, they could run the old tamper during the day to spray the worst parts of the line, although I question if they even run it at all. Nexus Rail is also in question as their relatively new assets are failing frequently and then the MetroCars themselves can be an issue but recently I believe our trains have been rather reliable compared to earlier in the year.

Regarding the flare man, I hope they throw the full book at him the silly ignorant so and so, apparently it was an Arsenal fan. It added to the delays and literally left huge gaps in the service, with some airport trains not due for a good 20 minutes.

Regarding a success story on the Metro, I'm loving the gatelines they must be having a huge effect on cutting the fare evasion and they seem to be frequently in use everywhere bar South Shields. I'm sure they'll be earning their keep. I wonder if Nexus would be willing to put more gatelines into places such as Regent Centre and Four Lanes Ends if they turn out to be successful, it would have been nice if they could have put them into West Jesmond and South Gosforth but obviously it'll be too costly.

The Regent Centre terminator on Saturday may have been an additional train for the match as they usually run - IIRC it's been discussed before in this thread. But otherwise there have been a lot of services terminating short because they've been too far behind their schedule and the next train has caught them up. If, however, the trains are running with a 12/15 minute frequency but not to timetable then they will continue as normal.

The new rail adhesion train (possibly the old tamper) has apparently been faulty and so the road railer is the only way of spraying again and as such the tracks only get sprayed overnight.

Trains have been considerably more reliable with the LRA but then they've been mixed with other problems and the delay just stacks up. I imagine LRA wouldn't have actually been such a significant problem this year, but then who knows because there have been other problems.

I'm starting to warm to them now. They aren't as faulty as they where and a lot of people are starting to understand how they work so they are a lot more efficient. I think I've mentioned this before but I was standing at Monument and the amount of people who walked past the machines to then turn around and buy a ticket was ridiculous.

Heworth barriers are manned from 7am (?) till 7pm (?), so I'm guessing it's fairly similar for South Shields, but I hardly venture down that way and get off so wouldn't know for sure. I can see them being rolled out at more stations if they really help with fare evasion. Jarrow and Hebburn have to be candidates as well as some others on the North side of the system.


And for those after the latest passenger charter you can view it here: http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/files/Metro Charter poster P7_2014web.pdf
 

lgb2100

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2014
Messages
6
.......
The 'excuse' of LRA is true. ....

Having waiting at my station this morning - to find that my train was delayed by 8 mins - No tannoy announcements, website, twitter, facebook updates and email alert stating "we are currently running a good service" - at the the Advisor at mid point of my Journey - why is there delays this morning.

His response was - "I Don't know"

I stated that this was an unacceptable answer - as there's is delays - and wish to know the reasoning.

"LRA - it affects all rail" - was his response, and said I was being abusive.

When asked - "How am I being abusive" - he said "please leave the station - my job is to man these gates, not to inform you of any delays" !

I went down to the platform to continue my journey - only to find that that train was delayed also.

Pressing the 'Help' Button - I find it was due to a train being taken out of service, and wont comment on the reason of delays weren't communicated on website, etc.

So the 'LRA' excuse was not accurate !

Luckily on my Journey I, encountered Joe Dixon - who's suit was displaying a 'Supervisor' badge. Told him of his advisors manners - and assured that this would be looked into.



Updating him on the way the advisors
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
I agree that some CSA's are rather rude but it must be understood that it is annoying when people frequently complain to them and often tell them how to do their job. 99% of the time the staff aren't told the cause of delays and the only information they get is from the PA announcements coming in from control with mostly the drivers and Control Centre knowing the real happenings.

Also Low Rail Adhesion works hand in hand with train failures, an 8 minute delay does seem more of LRAH or a minor train fault not leading to it be took out of service although I have seen some very fast permissive works on the Metro, with a very rapid changeover time from the knackered set to the recovery coming from the depot.

This time of year is rather bad for all rail operators. One of my friends who works down Bristol way said there were delays of up to 300 minutes one day due to faults and rail adhesion. Bare with Metro!

Overall the staff don't know half as much as they probably should (not a fault of their own) or that the public thinks they know, after-all they are mainly put out there to maintain order and fine the fare evaders.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Having waiting at my station this morning - to find that my train was delayed by 8 mins - No tannoy announcements, website, twitter, facebook updates and email alert stating "we are currently running a good service" - at the the Advisor at mid point of my Journey - why is there delays this morning.

His response was - "I Don't know"

I stated that this was an unacceptable answer - as there's is delays - and wish to know the reasoning.

"LRA - it affects all rail" - was his response, and said I was being abusive.

When asked - "How am I being abusive" - he said "please leave the station - my job is to man these gates, not to inform you of any delays" !

I went down to the platform to continue my journey - only to find that that train was delayed also.

Pressing the 'Help' Button - I find it was due to a train being taken out of service, and wont comment on the reason of delays weren't communicated on website, etc.

So the 'LRA' excuse was not accurate !

Luckily on my Journey I, encountered Joe Dixon - who's suit was displaying a 'Supervisor' badge. Told him of his advisors manners - and assured that this would be looked into.



Updating him on the way the advisors

If trains aren't being delayed by more than 15 minutes then no, there is no post to Twitter, Facebook etc. However, if a train is 10 minutes+ late then an announcement is made to those waiting on platforms.

CSAs, especially those on the gateline, don't know the reasons. They get told pretty much the exact same as you would get. The gateline staff haven't the time in the peaks to check their phones every few minutes to see if their are delays and even then there wouldn't be anything for them to see because there were no delays worthy of mentioning.

Maybe they could have been more helpful but it's not their fault they don't know their are problems.

A train being taken out of service wouldn't warrant a post to Facebook, Twitter etc. unless said train was causing a gap in the service of 15 minutes+. An announcement is usually made to tell people where the next train is and why.

And, Low Rail Adhesion is a major problem and does affect all train operators. In Autumn their are still other delays other than LRA, but obviously LRA takes the main delay messages because it's a lot more widespread. Trains will still fail, signals will still fail, their will be track circuit faults, point failures etc. And moreso than the Summer and Spring because the leaves can affect the signalling runs etc.


And I thought I moaned about Metro :lol:

Overall the staff don't know half as much as they probably should (not a fault of their own) or that the public thinks they know, after-all they are mainly put out there to maintain order and fine the fare evaders.

This was true for the most part until last year I believe. Metro really started going all out to alert staff with delays with more information. However, if there aren't any delay alerts sent out to Joe Public then the CSAs don't get it because it's not significant enough.

For example, the other day (Friday I believe), there were two trains in the AM peak removed as well as serious LRA issues. CSAs got a full breakdown of which service numbers were being most affected. When it's insignificant and will hardly affect passengers beyond being 10 minutes or less late then nothing is sent out.
 
Last edited:

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Is it possible to know how many disruptions were caused by rail failure, staff shortages, etc...

Yes and no. More often than not one disruption leads to another and the boundaries get mixed. If a train is taken out of service due to a fault, the train behind has to pick up the slack and take on double the amount of passengers. As a result dwell times increase and it becomes late. To regulate the service, it gets turned back short, so some other people are inconvenienced. When you add LRA to the situation, then that is an additional factor.

lgb2100 said:
Are the 'excuses' used the actual reasoning.

The past few days, they have been blaming LRA adhesion (late in the the afternoon) - whereas, Tanoy announcements have been stating train failures.

LRA is going to be there in the autumn, there is no getting away from it. Everyday it is just about a constant issue, but the majority of the people who moan and criticise on the Facebook page think it only happens for a few hours each day. I can understand the genuine frustration but it is hard to take some people seriously when they say "I travelled around the Coast and did not see a leaf on the line so why are there delays?".

However what doesn't get reported regularly are the delays caused by passengers themselves. Why people choose to stand at one or two sets of doors trying to get on when there are 8 doors on each side of the train is beyond me. Sheep mentality or just plain laziness?

lgb2100 said:
IMO - I believe they are using LRA as an excuse, due to poor management

LRA is not an excuse. In what way do you think it is poor management?

Let's be clear on the issue of LRA. Why does the Metro suffer more than other companies?

1) Siginificant lack of investment in vegetation clearance work by Nexus over a period of at least 5 years. The hotspots are well known but only this year has there been any sort of major cutting back of trees. If you go onto Network Rail you will notice that most embankments are just about devoid of any large trees. Contrast that with say Tynemouth to Cullercoats and you will get the idea.

2) Metrocars are light which makes getting traction on the rails even more difficult.

3) Lack of a rail head treatment train. Two modified Ford Rangers for a system as big as the Metro is not going to make much difference.

4) Nexus have a convenient scapegoat in DB. Why do anything about the situation when you can blame someone else.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
4) Nexus have a convenient scapegoat in DB. Why do anything about the situation when you can blame someone else.

That's a good point! But then, when trains are late due to LRA does DB have to pay Nexus in fines, or does Nexus pay DB. After all, it is surely a Nexus Rail problem and so surely they should be the ones picking up the fines and paying DB.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
South Shields is to get a new station and bus interchange. Scheduled to open in 2018.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
LRA is always gonna be an issue in the winter as you say.

Can you expand on the refurbished South Shields? :D
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Can you expand on the refurbished South Shields? :D

Not refurbished. BRAND NEW! Makes a bloody change with Metro :lol:

Summary from an email sent out today to CSM's and CSC's:

  • A new station/interchange to be built starting at the south side of Fowler St. (Where the post office is now).
  • The interchange will incorporate the new station, which will have a new bay platform (i.e. like SHL), with one gate line array and new staff area etc. This will look down on the bus area.
  • The annex and old station to be demolished, but the platform to be mothballed for event/GNR use.
  • Bus interchange with bus pick up similar to HAY bus station.
  • The sidings to remain in service.
  • The new interchange/station will be built while the current station remains in service.
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
The supposed new station for South Shields sounds quite interesting although I wonder if its just cheaper to refurbish the current station instead of building a brand new one just yards away.

Its come as a surprise if this is the case though, its no secret the metro station was planned to be refurbished alongside the generation project of King Street but it will be interesting how it will play out though if indeed a completely new build is suppose to occur.

I'm sure the resisdents of South Shields would prefer a more attractive looking high street than a new metro station though even if the current station could do with a refurbishment.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
:o

Will that require some alignment changes? going from elevated to on the ground? Sounds very interesting indeed although a bit of a surprise considering Nexus are cash strapped but hey there are ways and means to getting the finance,especially for big local developments like this. It would be nice for South Shields to have an island platform with 2 like Airport as it would be great on GNR day but nevermind! Very very interesting.

Is there a link to a news article? Also when will building commence?

On reflection, maybe this is just linking into Nexus' bid to control the buses, after all if they are building swanky interchanges, surely it would be better to have everything integrated, therefore making it more likely to happen and get the approval of the governing body ;)
 
Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
The supposed new station for South Shields sounds quite interesting although I wonder if its just cheaper to refurbish the current station instead of building a brand new one just yards away.

Its come as a surprise if this is the case though, its no secret the metro station was planned to be refurbished alongside the generation project of King Street but it will be interesting how it will play out though if indeed a completely new build is suppose to occur.

I'm sure the resisdents of South Shields would prefer a more attractive looking high street than a new metro station though even if the current station could do with a refurbishment.

I can't go to into specifics but this is going ahead, Richard Barsby sent the email to all CSM's, and CSC's at lunchtime. Opening in 2018 (hopefully, but when has anything Metro been on time ;)), building hopefully will commence in the coming year.

The current station will be demolished, but the bridge and platform will remain, as well as a stairway to street level. The current platform will be mothballed and will be brought into use during events such as the Great North Run etc. so won't entirely be going.

Total cost of £15 million but I believe some of that is from private investors (possibly the majority)?

:o

Will that require some alignment changes? going from elevated to on the ground? Sounds very interesting indeed although a bit of a surprise considering Nexus are cash strapped but hey there are ways and means to getting the finance,especially for big local developments like this. It would be nice for South Shields to have an island platform with 2 like Airport as it would be great on GNR day but nevermind! Very very interesting.

Is there a link to a news article? Also when will building commence?

On reflection, maybe this is just linking into Nexus' bid to control the buses, after all if they are building swanky interchanges, surely it would be better to have everything integrated, therefore making it more likely to happen and get the approval of the governing body ;)

The station will still be elevated from what I can tell and will be above the new bus station which will be like Haymarket Bus Station (and to an extent the new Eldon Square Bus Station).

No news article as yet. Although it's likely one of the papers will have been informed and an article made soon. Building should commence in the next year or so.

It will essentially have two platforms but as mentioned the current one will be mothballed and brought into use on event days.

Shields needed a new better bus station anyway, so it's unlikely that it's part of the Nexus bus plan.
 

Scott M

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2014
Messages
398
WOOOO about time the Shields-Pelaw section got some loving!

Edit: also I believe there were no delays today. :D
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top