To be fair, it would be much easier if they had duel lines along that way, but I assume it mustn't fit the gaps in service if they aren't running the extra service. Maybe its an issue with current or lack of willing.
It seems as if Metro are very limited South of the river with the single line works towards South Shields and the NR side of the South Hylton way.
Also has anyone had a chance to catch the new level crossings? What do they look like.
Also bit off topic but its nice to see Nexus may be taking control of the buses, it would be a great boost to our Metro interchanges and we might finally get a proper working version of the Pop Card. But we must see if the combined authority agree with the scheme when the votes are cast on the 21st.
Double track would help, but would also be relatively pointless other than allowing more trains to run. My idea for an extra train (an ex Pelaw train extended) would have worked and as I say I actually drew up a timetable and everything for it just to see if it would work. It would be tight, but it would have allowed a 5 minute turnaround. The South Hylton line is obviously an odd one because Metro can't just send a train down unless it's been pre-arranged, for example concerts, football etc.
New level crossings? The one at KSP was exactly the same yesterday. Or do you mean down the Sunderland line in which case it would be Network Rail.
I can see the bus thingy going ahead, however I don't think it will get much further. Go North East and Stagecoach will fight and they will take it to court. It's a nice idea, but I simply don't have the trust in Nexus to run a good service. Right now, I have the 27 by Go North East, it takes 25 minutes to Gateshead from Jarrow and runs almost parallel to the Metro, with the exception that at Hebburn it goes up to Finchale Road. I imagine Nexus would remove that in favour of a more local bus that runs to the Metro. Nexus can't afford it either. Go North East last year invested more into new buses than they made in profit so overall they made a loss. The Pop Card could work right now on buses, they've had the technology for long enough and is the main reason they have ended up making their own smart cards. Nexus are to blame for the Pop card failure, it's been terribly implemented over a long period of time, it hasn't worked properly and is only now starting to get a full roll out. It was all supposed to be done between February 2011 and February 2012. A timescale I would have said was quite good, the change needed to be quick and head on so within a few months almost everyone was using Pop cards. Instead, it's taken 3 years extra just to reach the stage where we will be getting Pay-As-You-Go on Metro. A fast change would have meant people adapt and get used to it much quicker instead of repeated failures.
In all honesty, do you really want Nexus to control your local buses? And, for the record, I believe their intention is for the most part good but they are trying to much to be like TfL now, and are wanting to take on TfGM too. The TfL model is for the most part good, but their are downsides. My main problem is the North East is different to London and the bus routes we have reflect that. Anyway, the bus thing is for another time - I do believe there is a thread in the Buses section which is going into a little more detail!