StoneRoad
Member
That made me snigger a bit.Many years ago, at about the time it started to be deemed necessary to remind passengers of their luggage, I remember the announcement being “Passengers alighting here (Carlisle, I think) please make sure you take your luggage, rubbish and children with you”.
Probably even longer ago, I was travelling from Birmingham to Temple Meads, intending to catch a train coming down from Newcastle and continuing to Penzance, whilst I was going to Chippenham.
OK, they announced a short delay, that rapidly became several hours [due to a broken rail].
I did a bit of timetable hunting and realised that by means of changing at Cheltenham & Gloucester I could just make the last sensible connection. I bombed up to the ASM office to see if I could persuade them to hold that "last" train as I was pretty sure I wasn't the only one wanting to make it. I heard the Bristol "control" confirm the arrangement and went back down to the platform.
It wasn't a good day and we were further delayed in our perambulations around C&G.
On arrival at BTM I legged it for the London platform, intending to tell the guard he had some dozen other passengers on their way.
Platform was empty - Left "right time" !
So up to the ASM office, who initially denied all knowledge of that call some hours earlier.
Eventually, I was heading home by taxi, with two RAF chappies, also with a deadline to return to station.
It turned out the reason for "forgetting" was that the whole area was in turmoil after a group of escorted children managed to misplace several of their number at one or more stations, that caused considerable chaos, plus a shift change ...
In later years, I've been with several escorted groups as my spouse was a teacher, and counting those heads is a constant activity !