Gloster
Veteran Member
And produced by George Martin. Now where have I heard that name before...?
Who also says one line.
And produced by George Martin. Now where have I heard that name before...?
Who also says one line.
Does he? Which one?
I shall have to listen more carefully next time.“A suit to remember at Montague Moss.” Or so I have heard. On The Best of Sellars album he is also heard in the Irish ballad when a chair was kicked across the room for a sound effect and hit him: his unscripted ‘Ow’ can be heard.
Scouse crew no doubt?On a avanti into Liverpool earlier "if you like the person your with & their asleep please wake them if you don't leave them and we'll take them back to london"
That made me smile a bit.
Ahh - Here you go:??? I don't know who that is.
Also on GNER, first time I'd ever heard it called anything but a trolley service, lovely Geordie chap announced that there'd be an at-seat service - which I totally misheard. The trolley guy was definitely gruff, but I thought "a Nazi service" was a bit harsh!
Did he pronounce Balham as Bal-ham? Older readers will know why I ask.
Belive so it was the special liveried 807Scouse crew no doubt?
Preparing you for the announcement about all four engines failing, and be glad you’re not in a 747…TPE guard on my 08:54 Ex-Scarborough train has just made a very amusing announcement, including “we will be travelling at up to 100 miles an hour, at an altitude of approximately three feet”. Not bad for this time of day!
I would be very surprised if somehow 4 of 3 engines on a 185 failed.Preparing you for the announcement about all four engines failing, and be glad you’re not in a 747…
Semi-related story involving a late BR colleague: he and his wife flew on Concorde and following the pre-flight safety briefing, one passenger called a member of the cabin crew over to point out that they hadn’t mentioned oxygen masks. He was told that there wasn’t a lot of point in providing them, given that in the event of depressurisation at Concorde’s altitude and speed, everyone on board’s blood would boil in approximately 3.2 seconds…..Years ago on Virgin Atlantic.
"In the event that the cabin air supply fails, masks will be provided. When you have finished screaming, pull the mask towards you...."
I don't remember that in the advertisingSemi-related story involving a late BR colleague: he and his wife flew on Concorde and following the pre-flight safety briefing, one passenger called a member of the cabin crew over to point out that they hadn’t mentioned oxygen masks. He was told that there wasn’t a lot of point in providing them, given that in the event of depressurisation at Concorde’s altitude and speed, everyone on board’s blood would boil in approximately 3.2 seconds…..
The reason Concorde's windows are so tiny is exactly to limit the rate of outflow if one should fail. Also:Semi-related story involving a late BR colleague: he and his wife flew on Concorde and following the pre-flight safety briefing, one passenger called a member of the cabin crew over to point out that they hadn’t mentioned oxygen masks. He was told that there wasn’t a lot of point in providing them, given that in the event of depressurisation at Concorde’s altitude and speed, everyone on board’s blood would boil in approximately 3.2 seconds…..
www.heritageconcorde.com
That announcement would have been even more appropriate when the Leeds services were operated with Pacers, as the 158s are luxury compared to the Pacers.At Lancaster station a few weeks back......."Please go to platform 5 for the Yorkshire Pullman"
(If you don't know... it's a 158 going to Leeds)
Brakes and other systems run on compressed air - if it was a diesel (or an electric with the power turned off due to whatever the disruption was) that had been sat for a while then it does take a while to build air pressure back up, so it was probably correct, if not exactly useful for passengers to know.Best one I had was waiting at East Grinstead in 2016 during some disruption. The train had been waiting in the platform and I was sat on board for about an hour, when the guard announced "we're just waiting for the train to fill up with air". Now, given that I was breathing at this point in time...
This was during the strikes and I did wonder if the guard had just decided to come up with outlandish reasons other than usual "staff shortages/strike action"!![]()
That guy at Lancaster is quite a comedian. I remember him once announcing the Virgin Train being delayed due to sheep on the slow line at Sheeap ( and some other alliteration afterwards)That announcement would have been even more appropriate when the Leeds services were operated with Pacers, as the 158s are luxury compared to the Pacers.
Which is probably why those words were used, as the person making the announcement remembers the Pacers been used on the Leeds services.