• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train packed - people won't move to get on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
I've seen really bad. It was at Dawlish Warren for an Exeter to Paignton. There was only one Class 143, and there were so many people, some people actually couldn't get on. People on the inside were even pushing the door close buttons so no more people could get on. And the guard didn't even get out of the cab! Later on that day, there were about 10 people on 1 143 and a 150, so why don't they put 2 units together during rush hour??

Really? Who released the doors then......
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
5,932
Location
Gateway to the South West
Agreed there, some passengers can't get it into their heads that it might be easier to allow others to leave the train before they can board.

Maidenhead seems particularly bad for this, for some reason. Challenging them with an authoritative request to wait whilst people leave the train, giving them more room to get on, is amusing, watching the brain cell power up and process the logic.
 

E_Reeves

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2015
Messages
1,412
Location
West Midlands
Really? Who released the doors then......

I think the guard or driver can release the doors from the cab. The train was so packed full there was no room for the guard to even open the door into the passenger section. Nobody would move out of the way, even though the doors open inwards. So, let alone the guard couldn't get out of the cab, there was no way he would be able to get to the overhead panel to release the doors. I'm sure they must be able to do it from the cab?
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
I think the guard or driver can release the doors from the cab. The train was so packed full there was no room for the guard to even open the door into the passenger section. Nobody would move out of the way, even though the doors open inwards. So, let alone the guard couldn't get out of the cab, there was no way he would be able to get to the overhead panel to release the doors. I'm sure they must be able to do it from the cab?

Just been confirmed today on a thread on another topic that the doors cannot be operated from the cab of a Pacer or a Sprinter.
 

headshot119

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2010
Messages
2,051
Location
Dubai
I think the guard or driver can release the doors from the cab. The train was so packed full there was no room for the guard to even open the door into the passenger section. Nobody would move out of the way, even though the doors open inwards. So, let alone the guard couldn't get out of the cab, there was no way he would be able to get to the overhead panel to release the doors. I'm sure they must be able to do it from the cab?

You can't open the doors from the cab of a 141,142,143.
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,448
So boarding a crowded train can lead to guaranteed prosecution. If you can't get off without pushing people out of the way, you commit assault. If you don't get off because you fear prosecution for assault, then you commit fare evasion.

Yup... and there are many on here will say that it's all the passenger's fault...

No, you physically shoved them both off the train.

http://www.stephenlickrish.com/legal-services/general-crime/assault/common-assault/


Pushing past someone is sometimes common assault. Actually shoving them off a train is far beyond that.

Is your defence is you would be inconvenienced if you hadn't potentially assaulted them?

What if in your shoving they had fallen and then died? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ian_Tomlinson comes to mind.

P.S I don't neccersarilly agree you were in the wrong, but actions have consequences.

You are being accurate but being rather a pedant in reality...

I'll bet that you'd support the imposition of a penalty fare (because that's the rules) on paulfoel if he hadn't have been able to get off.....
 
Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
You are being accurate but being rather a pedant in reality...

You haven't been around for long enough, have you?
15.gif
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,126
Location
Birmingham
Blimey, there would certainly be a lot of "assaults" on the tube if everyone thought a shove of an inconsiderate idiot was assault. I always have to get my elbows out on the Northern Line during peak times. I await the police after my confession :)
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
No, so therefore the guard did get out of the cab. Presumably you overexaggerated the crowding a bit?

Isn't that a tautology, - unless you are implying that there is an appropriate amount of exaggeration for this thread. :)
 

E_Reeves

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2015
Messages
1,412
Location
West Midlands
No, so therefore the guard did get out of the cab. Presumably you overexaggerated the crowding a bit?
I wasn't exaggerating. I saw the guard leaning out of the cab window on the other end of the train. And it was so full, they had to leave about 10 people left on the platform.
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
I wasn't exaggerating. I saw the guard leaning out of the cab window on the other end of the train. And it was so full, they had to leave about 10 people left on the platform.

That wouldn't have been the guard then. As has been said on a Pacer (142/3/4) it is only possible to open it from the panel above the doors.
 

222007

Member
Joined
12 Jun 2007
Messages
468
Location
By The Track
Sadly this behaviour is all too common with Rugby fans or should i say the rugby fans in my neck of the woods. I dread having Rugby games on my train simply because they have no manners and no respect. Give me football fans any day of the week.

I must make it clear that these are my views based on MY experiences and does not in any way mean that all rugby fans are the same!
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,625
I've never understood why people pile around the doors waiting to get on (despite there being no seats)

Because for some services if you don't do that then you simply will not get on!
When going to one of the Rugby World Cup games in Cardiff I was at Bath Spa where only the 5 or so people who were right by the doors managed to actually get on the train. The rest of us were left on the platform.
 

47271

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2015
Messages
2,983
Just to lighten the mood a little in this thread, I've just remembered another overcrowding incident connected with a sporting event, but no unacceptable behaviour on anyone's part.

I was trying to get to Fulham Broadway one weekday evening a few years ago. I was aware that the District Line was busier than usual and when I got to Earls Court to make the change onto the Wimbledon branch, could see that it was absolutely mobbed with a European crowd heading towards Stamford Bridge.

I looked up what was going on and found that Genk were playing Chelsea that night. They were all very subdued and polite but there were so many of them that I had to wait at Earls Court for half an hour before I could get anywhere near a train. I was delayed in reaching my destination by there being too many Belgians. :)

They were even more subdued after Chelsea beat them 5-0. :(
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,896
Not on a train admittedly but.......was on a TFL X26 bus this morning (runs between Croydon and Heathrow Airport) which was packed full and standing, literally the busiest I've ever seen it. As we approached the stop a couple who were seated towards the rear had managed to squeeze down the aisle and were trying to extract their cases from the luggage area. There were about three or four pax standing opposite the luggage area who were trying to lean/press themselves backwards to let this couple past, driver opened the doors, couple of women boarded straight away only to find themselves stuck by the drivers cab as the couple with cases struggled to squeeze round them and get off.
 
Last edited:

dave4jackie

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2006
Messages
163
what do people do if you are getting off a bus/train does not have to be busy and people are trying to get on before you have got off, if you push them back off surely you can't get in to trouble for that
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
what do people do if you are getting off a bus/train does not have to be busy and people are trying to get on before you have got off, if you push them back off surely you can't get in to trouble for that

As long as you don't punch them you should probably be OK. :D
 

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2011
Messages
1,825
One of the most dangerous situations I have been in occurred a couple of years ago when I was trying to make a 1 minute connection at Kettering, travelling from Corby to Leicester. The Leicester train arrived as I was crossing the footbridge meaning I had to force my way quickly down the stairs as arriving passengers were climbing en masse several abreast up the stairs.

I complained to EMT that this was a safety hazard. They didn't answer. Instead they retimed the trains so it became a 58 minute connection instead of a 1 minute one. EMT's schedulers couldn't organize the proverbial p*** up in a brewery.
 

SPADTrap

Established Member
Joined
15 Oct 2012
Messages
2,355
One of the most dangerous situations I have been in occurred a couple of years ago when I was trying to make a 1 minute connection at Kettering, travelling from Corby to Leicester. The Leicester train arrived as I was crossing the footbridge meaning I had to force my way quickly down the stairs as arriving passengers were climbing en masse several abreast up the stairs.

I complained to EMT that this was a safety hazard. They didn't answer. Instead they retimed the trains so it became a 58 minute connection instead of a 1 minute one. EMT's schedulers couldn't organize the proverbial p*** up in a brewery.

You mean you can't organise travel and connections?
 

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Joined
22 Sep 2013
Messages
7,691
One of the most dangerous situations I have been in occurred a couple of years ago when I was trying to make a 1 minute connection at Kettering, travelling from Corby to Leicester. The Leicester train arrived as I was crossing the footbridge meaning I had to force my way quickly down the stairs as arriving passengers were climbing en masse several abreast up the stairs.

I complained to EMT that this was a safety hazard. They didn't answer. Instead they retimed the trains so it became a 58 minute connection instead of a 1 minute one. EMT's schedulers couldn't organize the proverbial p*** up in a brewery.

Weren't you being a bit optimistic with just a one minute connection ? - surely any incoming train is going to arrive, and unload, as you start to make your way there.
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
Weren't you being a bit optimistic with just a one minute connection ? - surely any incoming train is going to arrive, and unload, as you start to make your way there.

Agree. The minimum connection time at Kettering is 5 minutes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top