9th July Into the Valleys of Wales, rode the 150
The idea of today was a nice easy shack scoring visit to South Wales, focusing on those shacks west of Cardiff, so with the tickets booked I had a nice drive to Salisbury to pay my £2 for Saturday parking and had a short wait before the 07:30 GWR service from Portsmouth towards Cardiff rolled in, this morning formed of 158955. A semi-quiet coach B was where my seat was located, sat near a group of lads who I assume were heading to some stag weekend as they were already on the cheap mass produced lager (a tad loud, but thankfully they alighted at Westbury). Unusually going into Westbury platform 1 with a short wait for a delayed HST to cross over the line towards Paddington before carrying on, keeping good time to arrive into Bristol a couple minutes early, with the usual 15 minute wait due to reversing and timetable padding.
The AC had failed on the entire train so the windows were open, which gave me some good 158 tunnel thrash (not as a good sound as a 153 via the tunnel), and we were routed onto the slows after Severn Tunnel Junction, which are a tad on the slow side compared to the main running lines (which I assume were closed for engineering works of some description ) but we kept to time arriving into Cardiff Central a couple minutes ahead of schedule (again most likely down to some timetable padding), as I already had my Explore Cardiff & Valleys rover, it was straight over to platform 7 for a short wait for the next Barry Island service, formed of dud 150257 to take me to my first shack score of the day with
Eastbrook into the bag.
A footbridge at the Barry end of the station meant it was easy enough to change to the other platform within the 5 minutes I had available before dud 150264 made itself known to take me back the near mile to
Cogan, noting from the previous service this station had a footbridge located at the Cardiff end, a couple minutes later and winner
150230 popped up to take me to
Dinas Powys which has a nice subway at the Cardiff end of the platform, and not a lot else (apart from some rubbish looking shelters with bars for seats).
I decided to jump on dud 150217 back to Eastbrook as a mere time wasting move to avoid hanging around Dinas for 15 minutes (plus it gets an extra 58 chains in for 150217, which didnt need it as I had that 150 to Fishguard and back in December 14). Anyhow a shorter wait at Eastbrook and dud 150242 rolled in to take me to the island platform at
Barry Docks before the return of fresh dud 150230 returning from the Island known as Barry to
Cadoxton, which like Dinas is a subway to get to the other side. I was thinking to myself that so far I hadnt had the pleasure of a delightful Pacer, before the next Bridgend service was due to roll in (formed of 2, so I was thinking it would be another 150), and it was dud 142072.
Thankfully I managed to score a seat in one of the bays for the speedy run via the Vale of Glamorgan, passing the site of many of a closed station, some industrial buildings and the airport to reach
Llantwit Major, which is in a nice looking town, which I made use of the 35 minute or so fester to hunt for some lunch having noticed a Co-Op being advertised on Google Maps. With lunch scored it was a short walk back to the station, nearly getting run over on a zebra crossing, and to the Cardiff platform which looked quite busy. 142072 returned from Bridgend to take me to
Rhoose Cardiff International Airport station which was my first level crossing station of the day, which I dived across to the other side in the short time the barriers were up, as they came down a good 4 minutes before the next Bridgend train was due. 150280 popped up on the next train to Bridgend, so it was back out towards the industrial area with some good sea views rolling into Bridgend where the train terminated in platform 1A.
A short wait in the light rain before the next Maesteg bound service was due, another reopened line, but unlike the Vale of Glamorgan it is single track throughout (with a seemingly disused passing loop after Tondu signal box) with a disused freight line crossing the main line at Tondu. Which I guess limits the service frequency to hourly, with no service on Sundays (not even the token 2 hourly service seem on the other valley lines). Anyhow I was surprised when dud 175103 rolled in from Cheltenham Spa, a nice bit of luxury compared to the usual 150s (or 158s) found on this line. It was a nice short run (felt like it is a bit of a climb after Tondu) to
Maesteg Ewenny Road. Not a lot around the station at Ewenny Road (and probably if I had the bike I could ride like the wind down the line to Garth). 175103 returned from Maesteg to take me down the hill to
Wildmill which like the name suggests is wild (strangely only working as far as Cardiff giving a gap in frequency for those stations towards Cheltenham).
Wild in that it was a good way down to the road below and not a lot around the station, I soon returned to the platform to wait for the next Maesteg bound service, and normal service resumed as dud 150240 was up next, so it was back pausing for the token exchange after Tondu before rolling to
Garth, which was another basic station, in a housing estate. A short wait before 150240 returned to take me to
Sarn where because the weather was nice I decided to have a short walk (less than a mile) to
Tondu station itself, taking a couple pictures of the disused freight lines and the semaphore signals. The station itself isnt really the best located for the town centre, involving crossing a busy road and walking up a road with no pavements on, quite easy to miss if you werent looking for it. Anyhow a few minutes of festering and 175103 returned from Cardiff to take me to the end of the line at Maesteg which has a small Asda next to the station, and not a lot else. Anyhow changing to the front coach of 175103 for the nice run back down the branch line and onto the main line for some 175 speed, as I alighted at
Pontyclun for a 30 minute (or so) fester.
A nice little town with what appeared to be some local shops located on the bridge (a Co-Op, a Spar and a Greggs), but with nothing really better to do I went back to the basic platform, as 43002 rushed through (still looks rather nice) on route to Paddington, a late running 158 rushed through from Fishguard and a 150 rushed through on route to Fishguard, before dud 150217 rolled in to take me to
Llanharan, which is a basic station with a nice footbridge. A short wait before dud (not really doing that well on my required units today!) 150231 rolled in to take me back to Cardiff Central.
A short walk to platform 6 with RTT suggesting I had 2 options to get to Queen Street to give me an ID of the unit on the Bay shuttles, with the potential of another winner before the next Radyr service rolled in, as back in March I got bowled out by cancellations and couldnt complete the City line. First service rolled in was a pair of 143s, with dud 143609 leading winner
143601, so happy days as I jumped onto 601 for the short trip to Queen Street, nothing required was spotted heading down to Central, and the service on the Bay line was a dud 150 so I knew I didnt have to fit that in later. Anyhow the next City Line bound service rolled in and I was in luck as it was required
142082, my last ATW 142. 3 and a quarter miles later I alighted at
Waun-gron Park which is a shack where it is a tad evil to get between platforms in a hurry, but you have more chance making a service from Radyr (middle of the train).
Anyhow, not really a lot around the station (on top of an embankment), so I settled down to read some more of my book as I waited for a known dud 142 to come back round (no 153s out today as the 3rd unit was a 143, with my final 143 (605) sat in the Cardiff sunshine on depot (so unlikely that would be out to play today). Anyhow 142076 rolled in to take me to Radyr, for a short wait for a Pontypridd short working formed of dud 143614 to take me to
Trefforest to clear the valley lines from Cardiff to Pontypridd (leaving the three branches north of Pontypridd which will be a job for October or November time, plus the Ebbw Vale line). Anyhow I was soon onto dud 150280 to take me down the line to Taffs Well, where winner
150237 took me back to Trefforest dud 150257 had a nice run down to Queen Street, where I decided to step back a train just in case, but sadly it was dud 150253 to take me down the hill to Cardiff Central, where I was going to call it a day and head towards platform 2 where the last Portsmouth service was due to depart from. However I spotted a pair of 153s heading towards Coryton, with dud 153327 leading winner
153367 it was too good to turn down so it was back to Queen Street, leaping onto duds 143624 & 143610 to take me back down to Cardiff Central.
Which is where thinks went wrong as instead of a nice easy transfer to platform 2, everybody was forced out of the station and around the houses to try and get back in to access the final Portsmouth train (with someone kindly allowing me to bypass the queue after mentioning that it was the final direct train and that nobody informed me of the queuing system, however even GWR seemed to be taken unaware of the extra crowds as they only had the usual single 3-car 158 on the 20:23 service, which was 158961 and was rammed solid, standing room only until Bristol where a good 80% of the train emptied out (a suggestion to GWR, put on extra services for Bristol only to allow passengers traveling beyond Bristol to board the final Portsmouth, as there might be another Salisbury bound service afterwards (a SWT from Bristol), but nothing south of Romsey. Anyhow rant over, and as the morning we were routed via the slow lines after Newport which allowed me to score the flyover (not sure if I previously had it on a rail-tour in 2013 time, as it was dark and due to lateness not sure if we were put onto the slows or onto the fasts after rejoining the main-line from the Hereford line.
Anyhow finally getting a seat (no seat reservations were put out), it felt like we ran into another unit at Bristol (normally a 150 taken locked out of use to Portsmouth to form the first Portsmouth Cardiff on a Sunday morning), but like before I waited until Salisbury to find the ID of the unit (I knew it wouldnt be 150265 as that was sat on a siding outside Temple Meads attached to a 153). We were around 10 minutes late arriving into Salisbury, and as I alighted, I made a note and found it was winner
150129 that we had run into at Bristol TM. Happy days indeed, no need to search for it later in the year.
Anyhow in summary, 5 more ATW units, leaving just a single 143 & a single 153 to join the single 158 and 5 x 175s left, with the bonus of my 2nd last GW 150/1. All my plans were complete today with no real delays or issues, and apart from the chaos at Cardiff Central, a good day, some small pictures are below, large pictures are available by clicking on the file.
Rhoose Cardiff International *takes a breath* Airport station:
175103 running away from Maesteg Ewenny Road:
Good candidate for a name the station competition?
The Junction at Tondu:
Disused line towards Margam:
Semaphores at Tondu:
Disused freight line towards Brynmenyn?
175103 decided it didnt like Cardiff and wanted to come back to Maesteg:
Pontyclun:
43002 making itself known:
A delightful 142082 on the City Line: